“Good quality food, nice setting and fair price - what more do you need” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Barony

Cuisines: European, English, Vegetarian, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Biggar, United Kingdom
“Good quality food, nice setting and fair price - what more do you need”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Located on the High Street in Biggar in a traditional building with on-street parking in the area. The interior is contemporary with neutral colours and quality fittings (even if the chairs get a bit uncomfortable after a while!).

The restaurant has had a few different operators over the years and despite being generally good has, for assorted reasons, never quite become firmly established. I’m happy to say that the current management appear to have covered all the bases and are now reliably open “regular” hours , providing lovely food at attractive prices in a pleasant setting and consequently are getting people out to dine - creating a nice ambiance. Ticks all the boxes! (Note however that they are closed all day Monday & Tuesday).

We visited at the end of August 2012 for a pre-booked evening meal (advance booking recommended for weekends). We were met by Rachel who provides the front of house service in a professional and relaxed manner making guests at ease, whilst providing information about the menu if required.

At the time we were there a new drinks licence was awaited and we were able to bring our own bottle and pay £3 “corkage” which was ideal. I understand that the licence has subsequently been obtained and a small selection of wine is available - although you can still BYOB for £5 “corkage”.

The menu has a varied selection to suit most tastes. We both opted for starters of Goats Cheese on herb crouton, served with mixed salad and a red onion marmalade; followed by mains of Corn Fed Chicken stuffed with haggis served with boiled potatoes and a whisky cream sauce (served separately as requested) and Sea Bass on bashed potatoes with a crab, herb and prawn cream sauce and French beans. It is worth noting that the fish was a decent portion of 3 pieces which is a pleasant change when some restaurants have the “brass neck” to try to serve one which hardly provides a meal. We finished with Ginger Sponge Cake with Butterscotch Sauce and White chocolate and strawberry cheesecake with chantilly cream & fresh fruit. The presentation of all the food was very good and the flavours superb - altogether an enjoyable meal.

You can opt to buy individual courses or, like us, a 3 Course meal at £19.95 per person (with a £3 supplement for the Sea Bass). A couple of coffees to finish and our bill was £50 which was very good value for money.

It’s the type of place where I think you could feel comfortable either well-dressed or smart/casual and the mix of clientele when we were there was young, old, couples and small groups.

Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
BaronyBiggar, General Manager at The Barony, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Rantin Rover

Wow! What a wonderful and comprehensive review?! Let me first thank you for the informative and brilliant review and including pictures with your review... We've not had many that show the food, and we need to get some up again ourselves as the menu has changed ready for the cold spell we've been having!
There's really not much else I can say, except that should you find the chairs a tad uncomfortable in the future, please pull one of us aside and request a cushion as we have plenty upstairs to aid in this type of situation or alternatively be used to boost the kids up to adult level!

I do hope to see you in the future, and wish you tasty travels!

Kind regards
Rachel and the team at The Barony

zurich
“Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went here a while ago and I have been meaning to write a review. The waitress was excellent and actually knew about food and the menu...seems obvious but so lacking in restaurants where you often are used to hearing "I'll ask the chef". The food was exceptional quality and a total surprise as it is tucked away in Biggar and my expectations were not that high.. but I was proved very, very wrong! I really hope this restaurant does very well - it focuses on quality and a relaxing non-stuffy environment. I am going back again this weekend so I am looking forward to it. One minor picky point - suggest they make their own oatcakes...! But I am being super picky here...!!!

• Visited August 2012
Dear IngerZurich

Thank you for making the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Although we are on the High Street in Biggar we are not on the main 'stretch' so people can find it difficult to park nearby if the layby outside is full or rhe Municipal Hall Car Park is busy.
We're glad you enjoyed your meal and that the waitress that served you was helpful and knowledgeable. We are encouraged to try and taste the food so we know what chef is serving and on occassion we actually get to eat where we work (but only on occassions!)

I do hope that your second visit was just as agreeable, and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Thank you once again for your review.

Best Wishes
Restaurant Manager
south lanarkshire
“Being at the Barony Biggar.....being big 50 not so bad!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

went to lunch at Barony, Biggar,to celebrate my 50th birthday with family and friends.A good choice of well cooked dishes.....especially good as a few of us fussy eaters.....and chef adapted the dishes to suit our tastes!
Would strongly recommend this restaurant,a nice ambiance and pleasant and helpful staff .
Restful tasteful decoration,enjoyed music playing in background(meant to ask who it was!!)
Nice to take along our own fizz,corkage reasonable!
I felt quite "at home" and even wore my joke"50th birthday hat"!!!
Only problem....had to get other family members to run us to Biggar and back....lack of decent taxi service around Biggar.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BaronyBiggar, General Manager at The Barony, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear vonSouthLanarkshire

Thank you very much for the taking the time to review our little restaurant here on TripAdvisor and for choosing us to celebrate your belated birthday.
We work hard at trying to create a relaxing atmosphere to compliment the dishes thatchef serves and i'm glad you liked the music selection on your visit.
We're a little puzzled that you found it difficult to arrange a taxi for you and your party though and would happily have recommended local taxi drivers or got in contact with them on your behalf if we had realised you'd struggled as we've never had any issues booking taxi's for guests.
I do hope that if you decide to visit us in the future we can work on getting your 4star rating up to 5stars as well!

Thank you once again for your review (and check your inbox as i've sent on the details of the playlist that was on during your visit!). We look forward to seeing you again-

Kind Regards and Best Wishes
Restaurant Manager
Scotland, UK
“Absolutely excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We held our wedding anniversary for sixteen family members at the Barony. Having done a trial run we were sure we would not be disappointed in our choice and indeed we were not.
The preparations for our visit by Scott and Rachel were extremely helpful from choosing the menu to the seating plan. There was a feeling of total trust from start to finish. The night itself was quite superb and every single of our friends commented on how very good the food was despite the restaurant being fully booked up. I am therefore a little puzzled from an earlier review who found the food did not live up to expectations, in fact I am totally baffled by the comment. In our minds the whole experience was top notch, the food including presentation was quite superb and the service was matched up. definitely to be highly recommended and pretty sure the best eating place for miles around. |well done to all staff for making our night so special!

• Visited September 2012
Dear lindyloo50

I tried to respond to your review previously but for some reason it didn't upload, so my apologies for the delay in thanking you once more for your lovely review, and for responding to the critiscm left by another reviewer on our behalf.
Myself and the team had a lovely evening looking after you and your guests for your celebration and i'm happy to hear that everyone enjoyed themselves.

Myself, Scott and the team look forward to seeing you again for future celebrations or just a quick lunch or dinner!

Best Wishes and thanks again for the great review
Reastaurant Manager
Brecksville,Oh
“A Special Owner Chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our inn hosts recommended this restaurant. We arrived almost an hour early for our reservation and before they open. The owner/chef took pity on our jet lagged selves. The prix fix was excellent. When finally the server came in she was very attentive.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
BaronyBiggar, General Manager at The Barony, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear KieranR

Thank you for taking the time to write the review on TripAdvisor. I apologise for not being able to be with you sooner to serve you personally, but I was unaware of your arrival during close. However, I understand that chef did a sterling job of serving you, and hopefully your meal helped get you on the right time! I'm glad you enjoyed the more unusual service you received (!) and thank you for leaving a positive review.

Kind Regards