“Extremely Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland

You added Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland to your Saves list
Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maidens Road, Turnberry KA26 9LT, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turnberry
Scotland
“Extremely Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions over the years and have always had a lovely time. However, I can only say that our recent stay fell well below the standards that we would expect for a luxury hotel. We like to spend some relaxing time in the spa, which is normally comfortable and extremely relaxing, however on this occasion it was absolutely freezing, the condensation dripped constantly from the roof, the pool was like an ice bath, the jacuzzi was closed, the steam room was not "functioning correctly" and there were none of the usual magazines etc.
We opted for an ocean view room which was nice. However there were two bath robes hanging in the bathroom, one of which was absolutely filthy and also had faeces skid stains. We were absolutely disgusted and brought this to the attention of the manager. When we returned to our room after dinner, we had been left an apology letter and five chocolates on a plate.
At breakfast the following morning, we had to ask for our tea and toast three times before it finally arrived. Based on this most recent experience, I think it is highly unlikely that we will return, which is such a shame as we have previously had some fantastic stays here. I think however for the money which we pay, we could receive much better service elsewhere.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
celifox, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
We would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments and observations and also once again apologise for any upset caused during your stay by these incidents which have been highlighted and passed on to our Housekeeping and Food and Beverage Management for investigation and action. We are delighted to report that we have located and repaired the cause of the condensation in our Spa and that our Jaccuzzi has been replaced. We do hope you will return again in the future to experience the beauty and relaxation you enjoyed in past visits.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Stayed for one night on the Saturday before Valentines day in one of the Deluxe Ocean View rooms on the second floor. The room and views were fabulous on what turned out to be what looked like a sold out weekend for the hotel. I had previously booked evening dinner in the 1906 restaurant however on checking in we were offered the option of dining in the James Miller room adjacent to the main 1906 restaurant. This was an elegant room comprising four other tables where the charge was £65 per head for a four course set menu. We liked the choices on offer in the set menu so decided to go for the James Miller option, this proved to be a choice we did not regret as the food served up had a real wow factor. The James Millar room also provided what seemed to us to be a more intimate atmosphere than that of the 1906's setting. Our host for the James Miller experience was Rita, a charming and friendly Hungarian lady who proved to be an absolute star in terms of her personable manner. Generally we found the service we encounterd throughout our stay to be excellent.
It would have been 5/5 but for the fact that we felt the hotel let itself down at check out time. We arrived at the check out at 11.50 with last check out being at 12.00. There was a queue of 4 or 5 customers in front of me and what appeared to be only one member of staff processing the check out. I had to wait fifteen minutes to then be checked out myself during which time a large queue had formed behind me of 25 to 30 people who at the rate we were handled would have taken some time to process.
All in all this is a minor gripe in what was an unforgetable stay as we celebrated our engagement.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Firstly, our warmest congratulations to you both on your engagement! We are delighted we could help in making such a special time memorable and we will certainly pass on your wonderful comments to our staff. It is always good to receive feedback in order for us to monitor the service we are delivering and we thank you for highlighting your check-out experience – these comments and observations will most certainly be noted and acted upon for our future guests and we offer our sincere apologies for any delays which occurred. We hope we can welcome you back soon.
Dunfermline Fife
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

My sister and I travelled to Turnberry on Friday 4th February for 1 night stay through Groupon website having managed to get a wonderfull offer £199.00 instead of £565.00. (We decided at the time of booking we would upgrade to ocean view room at the extra cost of only £50) This offer included a spa treatment and a complimentary cocktail or glass of champange if you were dinning in the hotel.... Fab we thought.

We arrived to a warm welcome at the door we were shown to the reception and checked in with no problems at all. My car was parked for me and our luggage taken to our room. We were shown to the lounge area were we could have sandwiches for lunch or we could be driven down to the Club House for slighty larger lunch. We choose the the Club House.
We were informed by a member of staff that the hotel had just reopened that morning and that we were the first people to check into the hotel. I was surprised and also thought, hence the Groupon offer !!!! Get some bargin hunters in to get the staff back up to speed before the hotel opens fully in a couple of weeks.
The lunch in the Club House was lovely staff very helpful, although my sister's tomato bread was so hard the she could'nt cut it with her knife so she just ate the roasted veg instead. We decided to share an Ice cream Sundae type of dessert thinking that it would be to large for one but perfect for 2 and it did cost around £7.00.
This took about 15 mins to come and what a disappointment.....3 small melting balls of ice cream on a glass plate with a few walnuts and no marshmallows .........they didnt have any they told us. If thats an ice cream sundae my daughter would have a fit !!!

Our Hydrotherapy bath was nice, again staff were lovely and very helpful. The pool area was ok a little on the cool side, oh and the condensation dripping from the ceiling which made relaxing on the beds by the pool very interesting, sauna but no steam room or jacuzzi, the sign said maintence was being carried out.

The hotel started to get a little busier and we were told that there was a golf dinner on so we thought good a little atmosphere in the place would be nice as felt like we were the only people there at one point!
Our roon was nice ocean view as promised but very cold, and yes it was terrible weather outside gale force winds and all so we cranked the heating up in our room to take the chill off, but never seemed to reach the temperature it read on the control panel......What a luxury!
To make a wee cup of tea or coffee (very basic choice earl grey tea or coffee from a very dusty little box, and sadly none of those lovely little scottish biscuits you get in B&B's, Travel lodges etc ..........What a luxury ! We had to unplugg my bedside lamp to boil the kettle, also to use the iron and the hairdyer and we had to angle the mirror on the wardrope so we could see what we were doing, no hardship I know, but certainly no luxury just a very bad design, there were no free sockets in the room!
Our bathroom was nice great big roll top bath and separate shower which unfortunetly overflowed because the water wouldn't drain away so you had to be very quick with your shower.

We had our complimentary cocktail before dinner in the Ailsa Bar, but not before we produced an A4 letter which had been left in our room earlier, requesting us to give this to the bar staff.................I would rather have paid for them than have had the embarrassment. The Ailsa Bar was lovely room but very bright with the lighting, and actually quite cold. We thought we would try the other bar, it wasn't open as the hotel wasn't full enough. We were only there a few minutes as we were looking forward to our dinner in the 1906.
We just been taken to our table and having a look at the menu when we had yet another power cut, this was not fault of the hotel just the gale force winds outside we thought...............no roadworks gone wrong.....it had been happening all week ! The lights came back on and we ordered our meal. After about 20mins or so, It was explained to us that our starters were delayed due to the ten minute powercut and they were very sorry for this and said "they were waithing for the gas cooker to get back to it's max " and with 5 other tables to cook for they were under pressure............ I am still in "A Luxury Collection Resort" at Turnberry ? We got our starters, Scallop Waldrof and Marinated seafood of which my sister said was lovely, and my scallops were nice but not very warm. Our dinner seemed to take forever to come but arrived after eye contact with nervous staff and repeatedly looking at our watches, we got it at 8.45pm. Orkney Beef Bordelaise and Entrecote Hotel du Paris. I'm really sorry to say that my beef was cold but the side orders of vichy carrots and Cauliflower "Au Gratin" was lovely and warm, by this point I needed to eat as I was hungry having had my lunch at 1pm at the Club house, but sadly I did not finish it. My sister had had her meal before but said it was very blande and also didn't finish her meal............we had been in the restaurant from 7.30pm

When the waitress cleared our plates she could see that we hadn't finished and ask if everything was ok we said that we didn't like to complain but my steak was cold and my sister's beef needed more seasoning as it was very blande. She apologised and said she would speak to her manager. She came back and offered us a complimentary drink ! I was a little bit surprised.
Firstly I thought the restaurant manager should have came over to speak to us directly or maybe even the chef.......After all its a luxury hotel were excellence is the norm, is it not ?
We discussed it and said that we would tell the waitress that a drink would be fine and we would have it in the Ailsa bar. We did this but that wasn't possible as the restaurant had made the mistake and that the bar couldn't give us a "free" drink ! It had to be in the restaurant, The 1906 restaruant doesn't have a bar ! She said she would check with her manager again. No waitress returned. As we were leaving the restaurant to go to the bar for a drink , the manager followed us, she did not speak to us at all however spoke to a member of staff at the bar and we received our free cocktail.

Our breakfast in the morning was lovely in the 1906 a huge improvement from the night before. Lovely selection of fruit, juice cereals etc.

I have gone into great detail (in particular what we had for our dinner) with my review to show that we enjoy fine dinning and did expect good food but were unexpectedly disappointed.

We didn't complain any further when checking out as the receptionist was rather excitable and kept repeating to us in a loud voice, what a wonderful offer we had and that we were very lucky to experience Turnberry at that rate.

I'm sorry but I would never have paid £565 a night for that kind of "luxury at Turnberry"

I have been very lucky to stay in a few luxurious places, and some not so luxurious and had much better experience, one being Skibo Castle which is much more expensive than Turnberry but then it is just as they say "heaven on earth" at Skibo.

Heaven on earth over luxury everytime for me!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
celifox, On behalf of the management team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share you comments and observations. We always appreciate feedback from our valued guests and on this occasion are disappointed to see that some areas of your stay did not reach your expectations. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any upset or inconvenience caused. We assure you that your comments will be passed on to the departments mentioned for full investigation and to ensure lessons are learned and situations such as these are avoided in future.
East Kilbride
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Well - where do I start ? Our 10th wedding anniversary and coming from the town of Ayr it almost felt like a rite of passage to finally stay at this beautiful hotel !

I urge you to go for at least one night (we luckily stayed for two) and experience everything it has to offer. It looks majestic from the outiside - but just wait til' you get inside post refurbishment. It oozes charm and charisma from a byegone day (1906) but also keeps you in tune with today, the 2,000's - post refurbishment. A majestic lounge where afternoon tea is served over looking the Island of Arran and the golf course and the 18th hole, the fantastic 1906 restaurant which serves breakfast and dinner - light, airy and welcoming reagrdless of weather outside. The staff are welcoming, proffesional, courteous and nobody including guests were the least bit pretentious.

We ate in first night and went out second - there are three more than fine eateries all no more than 10 mins. away by cab. Our meal in the hotel was first class and my wife commented the scallops were the best she has ever had - my main meal, grouse, was also particularly fine. Afternoon tea on the second day of our weekend was probably the highlight sitting by the huge bay window having our "Turnberry Tea" with perfect weather outside and looking out as far away as Northern Ireland. The Sauna / steam rooms and the swimming pool was especially relaxing and also gave you good views out to Ailsa Craig.

To sign off, we were also given an upgrade due to our 10th anniversary and also a signed card from the GM and a Turnberry branded picture frame and some petite fours that nobody else got with our meal on the first night :-))

The hotel is fantastic but the experience is even better.

It isn't a Travel Lodge but I personally thought based on the above - very good value. This stay will live long in the memory...............

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to see your Anniversary Experience was so memorable and we would like to thank you for choosing to visit Turnberry and allowing our staff to look after you while you celebrated and enjoyed the charm and sumptuous luxury. We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

A must for anyone wanting to stay at a Hotel with the highest levels of customer service, delicious food, well appointed rooms and excellent facilities whether you are golfer or not. One night at this Hotel is not enough and I would recommend a longer stay to truly appreciate the high standards set by all the staff who make your stay a memorable experience.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you! We are so delighted to see you have uncovered the layers of charming delights on offer at Turnberry; we hope we can soon welcome you back and assist you in creating yet another breathtaking luxury experience!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

This hotel is simply stunning, the interior decor is really beautiful, if you can drag your eyes away from the view outside. The renovation has been done so well, they must have spent a fortune and it shows.

Had a devine suite overlooking the golf course and Ailsa Craig. Weather was poor, but the view was still stunning. Had a swim and sauna in the spa, very civilised. Ate dinner in the main restaurant, which was not busy and we were looked after in attentive, but not overbaring fashion. Wonderful food, with the best lobster bisque I have ever tasted. Great breakfast, although our main courses came just as we began our cereals.

It's not a cheap stay, but I feel that you get good value, as the quality of the surroundings, staff and location are second to none. We have been a few times now, just for a night or two and always come away feeling relaxed and happy, and we are not golfers.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
celifox, On behalf of Management at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, December 13, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful comments and observations. We are delighted you have discovered the magic and charm of Turnberry. Our staff are always happy to share their knowledge – whether it be about the delicious locally-sourced fayre prepared by our chefs, or historical facts and magical folk-lore in which Turnberry is immersed. We hope we can welcome you back add to your experiences very soon.
Salt Lake City, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

This was the first time I had been to the Turnberry Resort. It was wonderful. The room we stayed in 119 was enormous, on the corner with views of the water and Ailsa island. There was a huge bathroom, with a large tub facing the ocean.

The decor, bedding, bathrooms and spacious size made this a favorite stay. Service and food was terrific. The restaurants were expensive, and there weren't any other options nearby, but the food was good. The gym and spa were very nice, it was above and beyond your average hotel spa. The spa was in another buidling, connected by an underground tunnel.

We enjoyed learing about the history of the hotel, the players and guests it has hosted in the past, and its legacy. They had a small hallway with pictures and text regarding its colofrul history.

The resort is definitely out of the way, but the drive from Edinburgh was less than 2.5 hours, and was beautiful. We enjoyed the countryside and touring Calzean Castle, just 10 minutes up the road.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
celifox, On Behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
We are so glad Turnberry exceeded your expectations! Thank you for your wonderful comments and observations. We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back soon to enjoy more of our breathtaking luxury and indigenous delights.

Been to Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland? Share your experiences!