“Overrated, nearer 3*” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland

You added Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland to your Saves list
Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maidens Road, Turnberry KA26 9LT, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turnberry
Scottish Borders
“Overrated, nearer 3*”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

Just returned from an overnight stay and must admit i have stayed in much better 3 star hotels than this overpriced hotel.

How many 5* Hotels close their main restuarant on a Sunday and Monday, your only option was to eat outwith the hotel or eat in the leisure centre!! We opted to eat in the leisure centre, i had a main course of mixed fish grill which arrived with 3 one inch square pieces of salmon, bass and cod along with one prawn, that was it, no vegtables, potatoes or salad, that is extra £2.95 for fries plus £2.95 for a salad. Why oh why do hotels and especially 5* hotels feel they have to charge you more to complete your main course.
Breakfast, you choose either bog standard full Scottish or pay extra for kippers etc, yet again why in a 5* hotel do you have to charge extra for kippers !!!
I would suggest they take a leaf out the wonderfull McDonalds Linden Hall Hotel which at a fraction of the cost is a dozen times better with no EXTRA SUPPLEMENTS.
Needless to say my first and last visit.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The overpriced food
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

I find myself compelled to submit a review here for the first time due to my experiences at the above 'resort', however, this leaves me with the difficult task of where to start.

First off; on the face of it; 5 star hotel, famous, West Coast of Scotland, luxurious, I've got a week off work to go to the Northwest 200 in Ireland and decide to kick off with a two night break in this opulent resort with my partner. Just a stones throw from Troon to get the Ferry on a Monday morning; sorted!

NOT

This truly was the most dissapointing Hotel (and I use 'Hotel' gaurdedly here) experience of my life. And I've stayed in a Travelodge.

It would appear that, unless you are of the Stetson, cowboy boot wearing and Cigar smoking fraternity; you are less than welcome. I, as a Scot, was made to feel like a Street Urchin. One feels that the Westin group would be better taking the whole Turnberry package over to Pebble Beach or similar, though the freight cost for the Golf Course may be excessive as, it's the ONLY thing I can see it's got going for it.

The service was appalling. The food was mediocre and would be terrible but for the 'decent' meal we had the first night. On the second, my partner was actually served a scallop tempura starter that consisted of 1, count it, 1 scallop cut in half to spread it round the plate. Her main course went back twice.

The snobbery was outstanding. In my partners case, this was from a pimply 20 year old student,on the minimum wage, supposedly servig us. In my case, it was the jaded Golf Pro (I assume this was his role as nobody would choose to dress like that, unless he was a care in the community case) eyeballing me like I was something he'd scraped off his shoe, while I waited for my partner to get the car at check out.

I really could go on all day about it, but it's just too depressing. Suffice to say, when we go back from Ireland, there was a letter waiting, informing us that they'd undercharged us at check out and had kindly withdrawn a further £250 from our account.

Go, stay, enjoy, relax and (inevitably) complain. Just check your bill Ladies, or better still pay in cash, though they probably wouldn't dirty their hands with it.

Actually, better still again, DON'T go and spend the money on something you would enjoy, like a down payment on an Aston Martin DB9.

I personally will spend my first two nights of the Northwest next year having Bowel surgery in the woods with a stick as I think this would make me feel more relaxed than my stay.

5 Star? You're having a laugh. And an expensive one at that.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
GLASGOW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2007

This hotel is situated in a fabulous location and has real presence as you drive up the long sweeping drive way. The
interior of the hotel / our bedroom was excellent quality and the spa area very good. What lets this hotel down is the restaurant, which I feel is trying to keep up to speed with the modern palet and failing. Add to that serving staff some of whom seem to have just left school and who are again trying to be something their not (almost to comical levels) was just dissapointing. In addition a restaurant manager who was extremley inflexible and refused my request to make a simple change to one of the choices on the fixed menu (to which I later received a letter of apology from the hotel following a written complaint!) for me is NOT what I expect or have experienced from real 5 star hotels. The hotel manager needs to quickly get this in check, or I would think guests will simply choose the B&B option and eat out at restaurants in the area of higher quality and far less expensive.

Overall I would stay at Turnberry again but would certainly not choose to dine there.

4 Star hotel........not a 5.....this should be re classified!

• Liked — Good quality interior and Spa
  • Disliked — The restaurant
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

Myself and my partner recently decided on a last minute stay on a Sunday night. FOund an excellent B&B rate on the hotels website for a Classic King bedded Room (Resort view - i.e. the driveway at the back of the hotel - not an issue)

The public rooms are very nice and 'old school' in terms of traditional Scottish Country House Hotel - beautiful really and nothing can prepare you for the first sight of the hotel as you drive in - great setting.

The Classic Room was nice enough - if a little tired looking ie scuffs on walls, rickety floorboards (which added to the charm if im being honest) and the bathroom also could have done with a bit of an update. My only beef - is for a resort that is claiming to be 5 star, the corridors were also a little tired and there were numerous Housekeeping trolleys were out on show - at 5pm shouldnt they have disappeared?

However the bed was extremely comfortable and HUGE! lovely!

Only had breakfast in the morning - a huge selection was available and a good full Scottish breakfast was brought to the table (if possible ask for a table by the front windows- beautiful views!) and endless pots of coffee.

The staff couldnt be nicer and were very professional. The lounge bar did have a great pianist playing but when he finished they music selection from the sound system was 'eclectic' to say the least!

Really nice peaceful place to stay - if your a golfer youll love all the memorabilia on the walls and the wonderful setting. Just in need of some sprucing up.

• Liked — Huge comfy Heavenly Beds - setting on the Ayrshire coast is beautiful
  • Disliked — Needs a little TLC in the rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Bristol UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

Visited the resort in early March 07 to celebrate our wedding anniversary, together with two friends. I reserved rooms on D,B&B basis with ocean view in the Spa section (adjacent & connected by enclosed walkway & stair) as two of the party are keen Pool/Jacuzzi/Sauna buffs. We are all golfers so we played on the two courses available on the residents ticket.

One of our rooms had a very shabby bathroom & a tiny window
for the "sea view". We had two evening meals in the main dining
room which were perfectly acceptable, if overpriced. The wine
list there is lengthy & incredibly expensive. Breakfasts were part
buffet, part order at table. One morning (after a wedding) the
numbers of people requesting food at the same time overwhelmed the system with resultant (unacceptable) delays. The Pool is fine, (use it early mornings/later afternoon if possible
if you want to avoid the hordes of young kids). Jacuzzi is OK, Sauna tiny. We had one evening meal at the "Terrace" restaurant
which was excellent.

As regards the golf, we played in the teeth of 25-40mph winds
which certainly kept us on our toes ! The Kintyre course has some
fine holes but is very much "fitted in" on the available land. The Ailsa (Championship) course is a different kettle of fish but we were surprised to see some holes shortened (played as par 3's
instead of par 4's) whilst course changes & repair are effected in preparation for the Open to be held there in 2009 (!).

Overall I would recommend this place to stay & play for the experience, but would not return. Sorry Turnberry, but Gleneagles still gets my vote.

• Liked — location/scenery
  • Disliked — pretension
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

I stayed at the hotel in one of the lodges for a long weekend. My husband and son love golf so they were happy. I love being pampered and doing nothing so I was happy and my daughter loves swimming and horses so she was happy. The food in the restaurants was fantastic although quite expensive. The activities were amazing. My husband and son played golf and went shooting while my daughter did horse riding and swimming. This hotel has something for every one. Its owned by the Americans and I think they rip you off a bit but what the hell its worth it. Go and Enjoy.

Stayed March 2007
romiley, cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

Myself and my family stayed at Turnberry over the new year period. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the hotel is impressive. However the only dissapointment we had was the swimming pool/spa area. To get to this you had to walk through a part of the hotel that was very cold and uninviting. The water in the swimming pool was extremely cold and even my 3 yr old daughter complained of the temperature! On mentioning this to the lifeguard he said 'yes we know, a lot of our members complain about it' (!) 'but it is kept at the required temperature and we are unable to adjust it'. Hence, we stayed in there for about 5 mins max and never returned during our 4 night stay. Which is a shame as we were all really looking forward to spending time in there. I don't think we would visit Turnberry again because of this.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland? Share your experiences!