“5* hotel, 5* service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland

You added Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland to your Saves list
Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maidens Road, Turnberry KA26 9LT, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turnberry
Wishaw
“5* hotel, 5* service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here for an over-night in a deluxe sea view room in March 2013.

Was given this as a gift along with dinner, bed and breakfast, however, I would be reluctant to pay the price of £510 for one over-night if paying myself but it is luxurious.

We arrived early afternoon and checked in. Very hospitable welcome from the moment you arrive. Our room was gorgeous and very spacious with gorgeous views. We spend a couple of hours early evening having cocktails in the bar. The bar man was making me cocktails which I asked for rather than the ones on the menu which were great!

We didn't make dinner, however, we had room service and the food brought to us was plentiful and delicious. Breakfast the next day was pretty much the same. Huge choice of cereals and the usual items as well as a cooked breakfast. Only thing I didn't like was the scrambled egg - pretty tasteless. Everything else was perfect - as well as the service which was fab!

In summary, it's a great resort but in the middle of nowhere. The service was great, however, pretty much everything was expensive which I would rather spend my money in a hotel just as nice, if not nicer, at a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gemma S, On behalf of the Managament Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent Turnberry experience. We are delighted to hear that from check-in to check-out you had a most enjoyable stay amongst us! As I am sure you can appreciate, Turnberry is in a quiet, unique location on the Ayrshire coast meaning that it is a haven for those looking for a weekend escape. It is a pleasure to hear the service you received was to the high standard which we are so used to delivering and we hope that you will return to Turnberry again in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Paisley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was not sure what to expect apart from greatness but it even exceeded that.

From arrival to departure nothing was to much trouble and the ambiance of the surroundings was relaxed and very welcoming.We were in room 138 there was no view.The carpet had some stains and there was mildew on the ceiling on the shower roof.The bed was fantastic and I had one of the best sleeps Ive had in an age.We used the leisure facilities which were great apart from the two females at reception on the Saturday afternoon in the spa area, felt we were more of a burden and everything was a real chore for them.This certainely was no reflection on any of the other team members which excelled in service throughout the resort, in which I really need to commend Jim Berry who was Outstanding!.

We had the In Dining experience the food was good but was very disappointed with the fried rice.Overall the food was very good.We had great fun playing pitch and put on the Sunday after what I can only say the best breakfast Ive ever had.The service, selection and qualty was truly Unique and Exceptional!.

I am a photographer and this is an area of outstanding beauty and stunning sunsets and really recommend viewing from the front or in the leisure area within the hotel.I just love the Beach and the Lighthouse.The hotel has given me even more reason to return.In fact I booked Sunday Brunch for later in the month.If you ever stay anywhere that will leave incredable memories this is the place to stay a must on anyones bucket list!

• Stayed March 2013
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback following your most recent visit to Turnberry. We are delighted that you had an exceptional visit amongst us. I am sure you will agree that we have some of the most breathtaking and captivating scenery on the west coast; the perfect place to take some beautiful photographs! I have passed all of your comments on to the relevant teams and I am sure that Jim Berry will be delighted with your compliments. I would also like to apologise for the issues you experienced during your stay and ask you to be assured that I have personally followed up with the relevant department managers to ensure similar situations do not reoccur. We look forward to welcoming you back for brunch and hope that you will continue to visit Turnberry long into the future.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Absolute privilege to play at Turnberry but the hotel is a mixed bag ranging from lovely welcoming staff, beautiful, calming views, beautiful interiors in the main building, comfortable beds and an excellent breakfast to average staff and average yet-to-be-modernised rooms with tepid showers which from other reviews, the hotel doesn't appear to want to accept. The dial which looked like it was 20 years old when set from 1-7 was cold and when placed at its extreme, the water, was at best, tepid. Not acceptable after 4 hours walking on the golf course in freezing temperatures. Reported this to reception to be given the same excuse as elsewhere on tripadvisor- "health and safety". Mmmmm...funny, because the temp of the bath and the bath shower-head was perfectly fine as was the spa shower that we were forced to use for the remainder of our stay. Not ok Turnberry. Sort this out.
Food at 1906 was variable - I enjoyed my meal, my companion was indifferent to his and the wine is very expensive. Aside from the room and a few issues here and there it was a fantastic break and we would definitely return although we would book a room in the main hotel. My guess is most of the negative reviews will be from those of us staying in the spa where the rooms are not compatible with a 5 star hotel. A tip. We ate twice at the Wildings, a seafood restaurant a few mins drive away which offers excellent food and wine at affordable prices including excellent meat options. Turnberry is a must for any golf lover.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your most recent visit to Turnberry. All feedback is greatly appreciated and it is wonderful to hear that you had a most enjoyable stay amongst us however I was sorry to see that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations due to the shower temperature in your room and also due to your dining experience in the 1906 restaurant. Please accept my most sincere apologies for any upset or inconvenience caused; I ask that you are assured that I have personally followed up with both our food and beverage manager and our technical service manager to address the issues which you have highlighted. We hope to welcome you back to Turnberry in the future, providing you with a stay which is memorable for all the right reasons.
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here on Easter Sunday this is my 7th time here.This time I got a room with a sea view well worth the extra money,views over the firth of Clyde watching the sunset over Ailsa Craig and Arran with a bottle of red wine at £30 are breath taking.The rooms are immaculate and the bathroom was even better with a big bath in the middle of the floor,it really has been getting better over the last two or three years and the management are doing a wonderful job. We had breakfast in bed and you could really get anything you wanted,my wife filled out the sheets wrong and only ordered one breakfast so we phoned down reception and there was another delivered in five minutes.You will struggle to find better staff any where in the world so keep up the good work and I will be back next year.,

Room Tip: A sea view room is a must
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments following your most recent visit. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your on-going loyalty to Turnberry. Your compliments with regards to our management team are greatly appreciated and we are glad to hear that you can see the recent improvements. Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

What an amazing hotel with fantastic staff! Our room was absolutely beautiful with solid and tasteful facilities, I enjoyed that I had the choice of a bath and a shower in my room. The spa is lovely with the choice of spending some time in a sex-only relaxation room and a wide range of magazines to enjoy. Breakfast was delicious, the food arrived promptly and the staff were helpful, friendly and professional. Hats off to David Elliott, the concierge. He really made our stay with such a friendly welcome and David made sure we made the most of our stay by helping us organise activities and providing information on local attractions, nothing was too much for him! We will definitely be back, beautiful hotel and a lovely, memorable experience.

Monifieth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were a little unfortunate, as our check-in was poorly handled, and delayed. Our bad luck continued when our heating in our apartment failed twice - once overnight, resulting in no hot water in the morning. We actually had a really good time and will return, but after taking time to provide feedback on departure it feels like they just don't care. Reception were unaware of our problems, even though they were reported on three consecutive days. Worse than that, no-one from the hotel has been in touch since. Not what you should expect from 5 Star.

Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I totally agree with the negative reviews, the refurbished room is nice but has no character and is not clean, the shutters in the bathroom are covered in dust & mirrored / glass doors are covered in smudges.
The room has a dressing table style desk with a mirror on the wall for a giant, so I sat on the bed to do my hair, you would think 5 star would accommodate for such needs.
Also the room has a connecting door which I don't like and I could hear banging etc.

Our son bought us this night away as a gift, it was a deal at a cost of £510 which we upgraded at a further £50, the plan was for my husband to play golf while I used the spa however due to us having to do the same activity we decided to have dinner in the 1906 Restuarant. I decided to book a further night to allow my husband to play golf but this was not as easy as you would think, the room we had was a delux sea view room, this room was not available for a further night so I was prepared to change rooms on day two but then realised I would have to book out at 12pm sit around till 3 pm to book into second room, I decided not to bother, I have stayed in other hotels under this group in Dubai and would never have been treated like this.

1906 Restuarant was one of the worst we have had, the service was horrendous the staff just ran about all night getting no where, no one was in control & the atmosphere in the 1906 was not nice, far to bright for evening meal it felt like a buffet style eatery instead of a 5 star. We sat near to the entrance, given water & wine and left to get on with it. Our table was booked for 8 pm, we stood at the door while another couple were seated maybe 5 minutes standing in the corridor, what happened to being seated with a drink to view the menu before being shown to you table. At 10.10 we had to ask for sweet menu as we had been forgotten, the fact that the amount of waiters to customers was about the same just proved there was no direction, nightmare I couldn't wait to leave.

In summary by the time we check out and pay for meal additions and wine this one night will have cost in the region of £700 what a waist I would have rather gave the money away.

We have stayed in many 5 star hotels and this one has always been my favourite but sadly not anymore.

Oh one good point, the view from our room is amazing!!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland? Share your experiences!