“wish you hadnt phoned!!!” 4 of 5 stars

The Marine Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Crosbie Road, Troon KA10 6HE, Scotland   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Troon
south lanarkshire
“wish you hadnt phoned!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Just back from another nice stay at the Marine..We love it there and I had booked a surprise overnight with our two daughters for my husbands 60th birthday ...all was fine until 2 days before his birthday. The phone rang and hubby answered it...' Its the Marine Hotel Troon just wondering what time you would like your dinner reservation on Friday?. and that was a month of secrecy and the birthday surprise blown away! The family were so disappointed. If this is a new policy it didnt work for us ..just ask at check in when we would like to eat!!! Plus pre booked bottle of wine didnt arrive till main meal was almost finished .Annoying. Nevertheless we had a good time ..and hotel deducted couple of extras when paying the bill.

Room Tip: we had room 318...side sea view..
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you for the review. I am sorry about the surprise! Our restaurant gets quite busy so we make a point of calling ahead to ensure that our guests are able to choose the most convenient time for them, if there is to be a surprise its always advisable to tell us when booking so that we don't accidentally ruin the all the hard work! Apologies again but I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
east kilbride
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

We booked the hotel for £139 deal, this was our 3rd visit to the hotel, and we can honestly say we have never encountered any problems with Restaurant or staff, they could not have been more friendly and attentive, this was the same for all staff we met during our stay.
The rooms are spotless and yes they are a bit dated in decor and the windows really need a clean, but the location, staff and food more than makes up for this.

We will certainly return soon.

Room Tip: sometimes you get an upgrade, other times you just have to pay if you require a special view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that your enjoyed your stay again. It is particularly encouraging to receive such great feedback from returning guests! I hope that we will see you again soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Recently visited the Marine Hotel on a two for one Classic Britain break. Very good value for money. Lovely setting with views over the golf course to the sea. Hotel staff friendly, polite and helpful. Room a bit disappointing as it was quite small, with a sloping ceiling which reduced the size even further. Food in Two Fat ladies restaurant was very good and well presented, although supplements were payable on a number of dishes on the fairly small menu. Also the menu does not seem to change regularly, and if staying longer this would have been quite limiting. Bar area comfortable and relaxing, again with friendly staff and a good choice of drinks and light meals. Overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Difficult to offer advice as this is a quaint, old building which does not seem to have standard roo...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It is great to read that To Fat Ladies was to your liking. We fully change our menu seasonally, but have a range of daily changing specials in order to offer the widest choice we are able however I appreciate your comments! Thanks for staying with us, I hope we see you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

Didn't expect much and that's a good thing. Probably ok for a guys golf trip but the rooms were just odd, to say the least. The food was ok and the beer selection very disappointing. There just wasn't much to make you want to hang around the hotel. The staff was great and did the best they could but was turned off by being asked to pay gratuity in cash since the added tip to a credit card would go into a pool and they'd never see it...according to the person. Not very professional but no unexpected there. Probably won't stay here again but that's just me.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Thanks for the review. I am very sorry that you did not have a better time, I appreciate your comments regarding the restaurant and these will be followed up with the individuals concerned.
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I hope that we will see you again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The hotel is really nice, people there treat you kindly, and everyone is willing to help. The room was kind of small for the category but it was really comfortable, only one night it got a little cold and there is no way to handle the temperature from inside the room.
These were only small issues, I would definetely go back to the same hotel if I am ever back in scotland. It has a warm pool and a jacuzzi, a very complete gim, and you can also rent bikes,
the restaurant and Bar are both pretty good.

Room Tip: check the photos for mi view, the roof got in the way, only 2 small windows and on both we got that...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your room was comfortable. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope that we will see you again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We had been wanting to stay at this hotel for a while so when we saw an offer for amazon local for £139 - overnight plus dinner, wine, breakfast and late check out we jumped at it. The location is excellent and an easy wee walk for us into Troon. We would have liked to upgrade to a sea view but in the absence of this being available we opted for an upgrade to a suite for an additional £50. As it happens Tom Watson the suite only had a view from the sitting room - there was a separate bedroom. Not really what we hoped for - we would have liked one large room, although the views from the sitting room really were stunning. Part of the offer we booked was a 3 course meal in the two fat ladies restaurant and we found the food to be outstanding coupled with a bottle of wine included in the price. Service was very good and we also were served by the nervous waiter mentioned in the previous review. I have to say he was obviously young and new and trying his best - we all have to start somewhere! In the afternoon the bar did seem a bit overwhelmed by customers - only 2 bar men that I saw and they both were working flat out to provide a table service. Breakfast was ok but clearly both our cooked breakfasts had been sitting under the lights after being plated, my partners poached eggs were almost cooked through and the beans and scrambled egg on mine were overcooked. The selection was adequate but not really inspiring. We didn't have time to try out the Spa but intend to do this on our next visit - we would return for the evening meal alone.

Room Tip: Opt for a sea view rather than a suite - room 202 suite has 2 separate rooms so you can't see an...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay! It is great that you chose to stay with us and I hope that we see you again soon.
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Not quite sure what to say here about the Marine hotel, we have come away after an overnight stay somewhat baffled by the mixed messages the hotel gives out. The best way I can describe things is that the hotel is set in a wonderful location overlooking the back 9 of the Royal Troon golf course, it is a big imposing Victorian building, the hotel is spotless clean and the rooms a reasonable size and of a reasonable standard. So tick, tick tick in the positive boxes so far. However not sure how many of you will be familiar with the TV programme "Undercover Boss", essentially the MD or CEO of a failing or under performing business goes undercover and works alongside their staff to understand what types of issues the company faces and how best they can remediate. Well the Marine Hotel is crying out for such a mission, they have an abundance of hard working customer facing staff but my goodness to a man and woman their customer service skills and knowledge is appalling. My partner and I both witnessed and personally experienced some basic failings in this department. Some examples we witnessed. Four America golfers arrived back into the bar late (just after 23:00) and when they asked the barman for a drink he said and I quote " can you wait 5 minutes please guys I need to clear these glasses first from the counter!". Stop, since when are these guests "guys" and since when has clearing glasses taken precedence over serving four thirsty and weary golfers a drink? Ok a one-off, er no afraid not. We witnessed other guests asking for drinks or bills or waiting to be served and having to contend with excuses or rather oddly an unmanned bar and been given a similar cold shoulder in preference of tasks that simply did not put the customer first. The icing on the cake for us in terms of the bar was having gone to the bar myself and asked for a Jack Daniels and Coke the barman (he already knew the Jack Daniels was out as he served me the last measure) said he had none left however if his colleague "would be kind enough to the go the C&G bar and get a bottle I can server you more". The colleague declined stating some excuse about someone was on a "walk for at least 30 minutes". Whilst it would have been a great customer experience if that barman had proactively gone and replaced the bottle without having to be asked and the excuse from his colleague would have been fine except I was sat with an eye line out to the reception desk and the young man in question who declined spent the next 20-25 minutes stood at reception talking to 2-3 colleagues, why could one of them not gone and replenished the bar stock? When I asked the barman why stock was so low he said there was a big wedding the night before and they had drunk "loads and the stock was out". Oh dear, so no one could have gone to the supermarket on a Sunday or the cellar or whatever and ensured there was appropriate stock??! Now you might think at this point I am picking on the bar staff or these customer issues were confined to the bar, well unfortunately they were not, the Two Fats restaurant suffered similar levels of poor service. We had long waits between arriving at the restaurant been seated, taking our drink order, than our food order, than serving the food. We asked for a wine cooler twice, it was not forth coming, we asked for a glass of ice three times and finally on the third attempt we received it. We ordered a bottle of still water and God love him the young waiter who poured it was shaking like a leaf! We were not alone in suffering, a group of eight American golfers came in and sat behind us and waited nearly 20 minutes for their drinks and another 10-15 minutes before their food order was taken. They were getting most frustrated with the lack of service and delays but remained good humoured. There were other examples of poor service, empty glasses and plates were left on tables for prolonged periods, bizarrely staff would come and remove two glass or two cups and leave the plates and cutlery or vice versa, so tables were only half cleared and tidied. As I said earlier the staff are really hard working however they are all very young and inexperienced and this was the key issues. Inexperienced staff who appear to have had no effective customer skills training couple this with no leadership or direction and it makes for layers of problems. The final point I will make in this respect is I think it is inappropriate for any member of the staff to call guests "mate" , I am no snob by any stretch of the information but a four star hotel should not address guests like that in my opinion.

Overall the hotel is clean, functional, food and drink is good quality, but the customer service side badly lets this hotel down, we will not return rather we will visit the Piersland nearby next time we are in Troon.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for such a comprehensive review. Many of your points are constructive and your critique of your bar experience particularly so. The individuals concerned are being coached/retrained as there is little to excuse such poor service delivery.
All of the feedback we receive is taken extremely seriously and we will always try and use it to ensure that we are the best version of ourselves. It is clear that we let ourselves down on this occasion and I am sorry that your stay was impacted.I do hope that we will see you again.

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!