“Nice Hotel, But Could Improve on Various Fronts” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 40 Restaurants in Troon
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: This establishment is already listed under accommodation but is also a popular restaurant in the town.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel, But Could Improve on Various Fronts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stopped here on business and yes it is a nice, recently refurbished comfortable hotel.

The check in was a bit of an issue as no one was on the desk when we arrived, when the receptionist arrived we were swiftly dispatched up to the rooms.

My room on the 1st floor was a big and comfortable one with a very large firm bed, couple of issues with the room 1. toilet fan made a loud noise, 2. it was very warm. However, I did like the multi-point connection set up for the TV.

A niggle was that my room was above the bar patio and some people were up a bit late, not winging as this is generally me, but some people may not be so accommodating.

The bar area was fine, but a jump in quality of both the wine and bar staff would not go a miss.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing, the food was very dry and over cooked (pre cooked and reheated).

All in all a nice well appointed hotel with nice staff that could be a lot better - would I stop there again - yes.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“First visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My friend and I came for lunch. This was my first visit, lunch was lovely, staff were very attentive, prices very reasonable. Lovely setting .

Troon
“Room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The meal in itself was nice but waiting an hour between the starter and the main course was to long.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Berkshire
“Old World Charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Lovely bar area with open fire and lots of charm, but we found the food expensive for what it delivered. Quality fine, but staff more focussed on restaurant so we had some long waits.

Visited January 2014
Aberdeen
“Great Food/Shame about the heat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My Fiance and I stayed here on Saturday night as I won a competition via Itison for an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast. We chose to pay for an extra night too and have a nice relaxing break, we were really excited, I didn't expect to get special treatment but on check in there was no mention of the competition only that if we paid for the Sunday night with cash we couldn't charge anything to our room - I found it odd we couldn't just leave card details, the option wasn't offered anyway.

I can't fault the Dinners we had during our stay they were delicious. However getting ready for the meal was a mission as there was no window or fan in the Bathroom, the bedroom was very hot too and even with both windows open and the fan on I was sweating buckets trying to dry my hair and do my make-up. Before Dinner I had to go outstide to cool down for 10 minutes then we got into the Restaurant and it was very warm in there too. I had to sleep with the fan on all night and it was so noisy I struggled to sleep until about 5am, before I eventually drifted off, we actually missed our Breakfast on the Sunday as I was too shattered to make it down for 10am ! I really did consider cancelling the Sunday but we were both too tired to think about driving home. I would only return If air conditioning had been installed.

• Visited May 2014