“Just OK.........” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Troon B&B and Inns
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Just OK.........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Spotlessly clean,functional but souless.No assistance with luggage which you have to drag through the bar.View was of the main road a few feet in front of the window so no privacy.Food was OK but restaurant was uncomfortably hot.When I asked if it was alright to move (away from the open kitchen) I was informed "it is the same temperature everywhere" which was rubbish as it was much cooler when we moved nearer the bar and the welcoming a/c.Staff at breakfast were much chirpier although dining area was still too hot.Nobody on reception all the time we were there so no hello/goodbye/thanks for your money.A place to stay rather than a place to enjoy.

Room Tip: Get way from the main road.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from an over night stay in oald loans inn. We booked a deal for dinner bed breakfast cost of £69.00,we opted to upgrade our room for an extra £10.00each which was well worth it, we stayed in room 111(royal troon) which was a very large and spacious room, large bathroom with overhead rain shower and jacuzzi bath. Dinner option was two course from the set menu but we chose to have dinner off the main menu we received £20.00 deduction of our final bill, Food was nice and the service and atmosphere in restaurant was very good there is also a lovely bar lounge where you can sit and relax after dinner.
Breakfast was nice, help yourself to orange juice and cereal and Toast, the toaster machine is another story there was only one side of toaster working and the other side takes for ever to toast, please!please!please! Invest in a decent toaster, we also had a lovely cooked breakfast made fresh to order.
We had a lovely night away and we are looking forward to our next stay,

• Stayed April 2013
Brighouse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at The Old Loans Inn as we were attending a wedding, close by, in Scotland. The Old Loans Inn is a fantastic hotel, as it is: clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. Moreover, the staff are friendly and the restaurant food is first class.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine as the main road is quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lanarkshire Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just back from a overnight at this hotel, our second visit. This is a gorgeous small hotel in the village of Loans, just outside Troon. Had a very nice room overlooking the outdoor seating area/car park at the back of the hotel. We had booked on a package, BB and 2 courses for dinner, but what was not said was that the dinner had to be taken from the much smaller 'Lite' menu. We were handed this menu at check in with no mention made of the larger menu. I asked later if we could eat from the other menu and would we receive an allowance against the price and I was told that we would receive an allowance of £10 each (the cost of the Lite menu) against our total bill. Guess what....we were charged full price, although this was rectified very quickly by the waiter. If we had not checked the bill.........!!!!!!!! Bar prices are quite expensive and the toaster in the dining room at breakfast seriously needs to be updated to something that will actually toast bread properly and quickly........perhaps this should be done not by the customers, but by the kitchen staff then breakfast will not get cold while waiting on bread being toasted to 'barely brown'!! The rooms were a little too warm for my liking but other than that this is a gorgeous hotel that just needs to iron out a few problems in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the rear of the hotel as the ground floor front facing rooms have no privacy as the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This had been recommended by a relative who lives in Troon,and a very good one it was too.
It's a little gem. We stayed overnight on our way back South.
On the outside it looks like a large well-kept cottage, but step through the
front doors and it displays its contemporary side. Modern clean cut reception
and bright corridors. There's a lift available too.
Our big double-deluxe top floor room was clean and very comfortable. Loads of space, great size bed. A small en-suite modern bathroom with shower over a bath was sparkling; bit of a irritating squeak in the floor though.
Big TV with sufficient programmes for our needs. This room overlooked the road outside but we were not disturbed by any noise.
Breakfast is downstairs in the restaurant with a selection of cereals and juices. The toaster wasn't flipping the toast out before burnt to a crisp, but that's a minor moan.You can order a hot breakfast to your liking, which is something we much prefer. Much bigger hotels than this still dish out a tepid, cooked, buffet breakfast, so to have it freshly cooked scored highly for me - and it was good too.
We had already eaten before we arrived here, so sitting there at breakfast we saw some very nice sounding dishes on the chalkboards. If we ever come this way again, dinner will be included.
The outside terraces to the rear are well kept and, I'm sure, very inviting in summer. Parking is alongside.
All staff were welcoming and cheerful. All-in-all a very pleasant stay for a reasonable rate, and it's perfect for golfers.
Give it a go, I'd be surprised if you are disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask reception. They told me what was available and described the ameneties of each one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the Piersland Hotel right in Troon and I have written my review of The Old Loans as it was one of two hotels we stayed at on this trip, but I would not like anyone not to read what I wrote about The Old Loans, and so would just like to add this referring only to this hotel.

I rang The Old Loans Inn and was fortunate, as time was getting on, to get one of the only two rooms that were left for that evening, and HOW fortunate it turned out to be. This establishment is absolutely gorgeous and whoever has been responsible for the design/refurbishment, has done it not only with great taste and imagination, but in consideration of every thing in mind for the comfort of the guests. The rooms/en suites are superb - and I don`t only mean `for the money` ! Although it is ostensibly a pub/restaurant, with hotel facilities it is great for a comfortable stay within two miles of Troon. What is lacks in close proximity to the sea is made up for by the facilities and amenities within Old Loans, without having to take a step anywhere else. Sadly, the reason for our trip and our eventual destination that we were heading for,was The Turnberry resort to stay there for two days to play golf, - Well, I can plan all sorts of things by reading reviews, etc., but I cannot plan for the weather...............and have managed to pick the worst four days (weather wise) in 50 years, so we have headed back home with the snow on our heels all the way back home... - -Tomorrow is another day.and hopefully I shall pick three days in a row when we return to Scotland when the sun is shining and the wind isn`t blowing a hooley !!...and when I am in the area again, I shall most certainly stay at The Old Loans Inn.

Room Tip: Room 104 - good enough for me, though I would have asked if they had one larger - but then I would...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My friends and I went or meal n had the chicken on skewers. Tasty time. However all 3 of us were I'll after leaving. When we advised the manager the next day he told us to go to our doctor with a stool sample! No apology. Will not be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Old Loans Inn? Share your experiences!