“FishyDave” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tingwall
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“FishyDave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel for a number of weeks whilst working in Shetland,I found the staff very friendly ,food excellent and the rooms clean.
The owners certainly go the extra mile in providing a warm and friendly welcome and the hotel has a great deal of character.
I don't know where some of the other reviews come, from but they were certainly not staying at the same place I was.
All in all, an excellent place to stay and will certainly return to Herrislea again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mwilliamson647, Owner at Herrislea House Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Many thanks to you all for the time taken to send in a review, its much appreciated.
Do pop in and see us whenever you are in Shetland and find the time, we will be delighted to see you again and exchange some news - fishy or otherwise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I also stayed in this Hotel whilst working in Shetland and found the owners and staff delightful, the food was great with plenty of variety to choose from. Yes it’s not the Ritz hotel but if you want the Ritz then stay there instead.This hotel has all the charm and demure of a residence which you would expect to find in Shetlands, the owners have added their personal touch which adds to the ambiance. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Shetland the rooms were clean, comfortable and the water was warm regardless of previous reviews.

Room Tip: Room 6 Twin Room with good view of the hills
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been staying in this hotel when I work in Shetland, I have found the hotel to be very welcoming and the staff very friendly.
The rooms are clean and comfortable and the food has been great especially the Sunday roast.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the island.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Don't stay here.
Obviously suffering from delusions of grandeur.
Totally overpriced.
For same price 140.00 2 people could have bed and breakfast at Cameron house on Loch Lomond. An infinitely more attractive prospect.
Herrislea exceptionally dated, expensive, terrible service.
Breakfasts swimming in grease.
Had to ask for hot water in evening and shower ran cold on the morning.
Charged exorbitant price for basic dinner in restaurant also.
Don't mind paying a lot if what is on offer is worth it but this just left a sour taste in my mouth.
I have never written a review of anything before but felt compelled to write this as a warning to others.
For the money they are charging for rooms and dinner if expect better .

• Stayed January 2013
Mwilliamson647, Owner at Herrislea House Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
I can only apologise for no hot water, the other complaints here are I believe, formed because the ladies got no hot water, getting them off to a bad experience. They had no fried products at breakfast, and the meals they chose drew compliments from other guests. However a hot water is crucial to a comfortable stay and I can only reproduce the email I have sent to our plumber 'The hot water situation really is costing us a lot now. We still have no hot water, despite the boys being out to repair it. I can no longer go onto trip advisor and defend us. Have a look two horrendous pastings, that I simply cannot get the better off. Having been closed all winter with one in August and one in January it looks like this is how we operate. Needless to say ‘no hot water in the morning’ and everything is wrong, we simply cant make it up to these guests. I know plumbing doesn’t have a trip advisor, so you can have no conception how this plummets our takings. We simply have to close now till it is repaired.'
PLEASE get somebody out to repair this properly.'

Travelers are raving about these Tingwall hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Went to the hotel for a one night stay on business.
The room had a TV but none of the channels worked so no TV. The next morning I tried to have a shave found no hot water. boiled the small kettle in the room and managed to put a couple of inches in the bowl which was enough for a shave.
Went down for breakfast and ordered a full Scottish breakfast! and a cup of filter coffee but was informed that they only did instant coffee. Ordered a pot of tea, when the teapot arrived went to stirr the tea bag in the pot and found there was no tea bag inside only some very weak tea.
Ordered toast with the breakfast which came and looked more like stale bread no colour to the bread at all, so not sure if it was actually toasted, Bread was the cheap value brand bread.
When the breakfast came there was one sausage, One piece of bacon, two mushrooms cut in half which were swimming in grease but not actually cooked. Half an uncooked tomato, one piece of black pudding which had been used to soak up all the remaining grease out of the frying pan, one egg which was properly cooked and no beans or anything else you would expect to find in a full scottish breakfast.
so disgusted with this offering I left it and went back to my room to see if there was any hot water for a shower and found there was none!! so I ordered my taxi early and went to the airport for some breakfast, on departure the owners were indifferent and did not ask if I enjoyed my stay or anything.
I was informed by the taxi driver on the way to the airport that the new owners were closing the place down and had been doing so for the last three years, wish they had closed it down now!!
I have Stayed at the Herrislea Hotel some years ago and it was a good honest hotel which was always busy and offered good food at a fair price.
Returned to the Herrislea and found it had new owners indifferent and trying to run things on the Cheap but if you are paying £110 a night you expect a few things to be right like hot water and an edible breakfast, not too much to ask for surely!!

Room Tip: choose another hotel...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mwilliamson647, Owner at Herrislea House Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
It is with sinking heart that we hear of a major problem to guests comfort such as a lack of hot water, especially when guests are only staying one night and we cannot show that it is not normal situation. With a heating system only 3 years old it is of course, of huge concern. I have to admit that following major works at the hotel we have had to call in a heating engineer several times over the past few months, however I am happy to say that he has always turned out on the day to fix it and now problems have been resolved.

On the question of TV reception we do know the country area we are in does not support a good reception on occasions. It is frustrating and although we do update and look for advice to improve on this, there are times that it is outwith our control and I am sorry for that.

On breakfasts I have to say, I am surprised at these comments. Each breakfast is cooked to order, we give each guest a full list of products to order any combination they like as opposed to offering named breakfasts such as ‘full Scottish/English’. I have never actually experienced anyone who asked for two sausages, although we have had a few looking for two eggs. In the future we will remember to ask if a person wishes more than one sausage. Our experience of people who stay several days is to ask for a reduction in the amount of food at breakfast. Our Black pudding, made by a specialist local producer, is never fried. We always remove the tea bags from the tea pot in order that guests are not getting ‘stewed’ tea towards the end of breakfast, unless ‘strong tea’ is particularly requested, however again perhaps we should consider always asking about preference here. Regarding toast, I am surprised as I have rather an obsession on producing golden toast. I am very sorry indeed that this guests experience was so poor and it is unfortunate that at breakfast he did not point out any of these things that could have been rectified at the time.

It is unfortunate that a person listens to local gossip and believes it, although of course this is often where you pick up an insight into the culture, it is best not to completely believe what you are told. On this occasion the taxi driver was wrong. However, if we should wish to close our hotel we can do so tomorrow, we do not have to ‘try for 3 years’. We are the same people who owned, operated served and cooked in the hotel three years ago. The price has certainly not changed in two years, and I think has been the same for three years.

Although Mr O had a poor morning, and that does upset and concern me. I am happy to say there are still many who pass in and out through our doors delighted.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, only minutes from Lerwick, and centrally located for trips across Shetland. The staff were very friendly and polite. They took the time to ask me about my plans, listened with interest and offered advice to help me get the best out of my trip to Shetland. The room was lovely - warm, clean and quiet. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ullapool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed for two nights as a family, in the family room which was large with bunk beds. The ensuite was perfect and the hotel was warm. The children loved the stuffed animals, please do not be put off by other reviewers' comments. The food we had in the restaurant was absolutely first class with beautiiful wine also. The owners are very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. This was an interesting place to stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Herrislea House Hotel? Share your experiences!