“Great, as always” 5 of 5 stars

Annat | By Achansheen, Torridon IV22 2EY, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Torridon
“Great, as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I think this was my fourth visit over the last ten yo twelve years or so. It's a real favourite. Location is unbeatable. The good is beautiful. Very imaginative. Service is friendly and attentive but not intrusive. The rooms are very comfortable and equipped.
We tend to go for the walking ( some of the best are on the doorstep) but the hotel also offers an array of activities including archery and guided walks (and more) which I haven't sampled but appear well run and good value.
It's one of my favourite places and we'll be back.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The Torridon Hotel is an incredible place to stay. The setting is both dramatic and stunningly beautiful. The Hotel is managed and run by an incredibly committed and professional team, who will make your stay truly memorable. The Hotel's Manager is Colleen whose knowledge of whisky and fine wines is really impressive. We were met at the car by the Assistant Manager, Ross, who knew my name and welcomed us personally to the Hotel.

The attention to detail is awe-inspiring - I had arranged for flowers and a single malt to be waiting for us as a surprise. Both were in our suite on arrival - the card accompanying the flowers was beautifully hand written - not just printed out. The hot water bottle in the bed was also unexpected and very welcome.

Dinner in the hotel is a joy and a culinary experience. The quality is truly exceptional and the service impeccably provided by our Waiter - Luke. We also ate in the Torridon Inn, where we found the same high levels of excellent service - along with some very nice beer!

I have stayed in many hotels around the world, including 5* types - I have NEVER felt compelled to write a review before - but the quality, friendliness, efficiency, kindness and attention to detail requires me to go into print.

We WILL be back!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Shieldaig, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

The Torridon Hotel is set on the shores of Loch Torridon in the awe inspiring landscape of the Torridon mountains. A visit to the hotel is a memorable experience at any time of year. There are a range of activities available: guided hill walks, fishing, archery etc.(see the website). In the winter months enjoy a bracing walk with spectacular views of the snow capped mountains then return to the hotel to settle down in front of the log fire with a single malt. Hotel staff are exceptionally well trained, warm, welcoming and attentive. The restaurant provides the highest quality meals served in the beautifully designed dining rooms. Dinner in the Torridon is an experience not to be missed. Menus are varied and include a comprehensive selection of locally sourced sea food and venison. The wine list is also comprehensive with knowledgable staff who can help with the appropriate choice to compliment your meal. Next door to the Hotel and also belonging to the Hotel is the Ben Damph bar and restaurant where you can enjoy the more informal atmosphere with local ales and good food. If you have a bucket list the Torridon is a must!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

What a super place to stay. The staff, scenery, food, accomodation and ambieance are second to none. The hot water bottle was a great touch! Really enjoyed the whole experience and was highly delighted with our upgraded room . Will definitey return.

Room Tip: We had a room with a loch view. Was breathtaking.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Way back at the end of the year 2000 I took my then girlfriend on a grand tour of the North West Highlands of Scotland. Our first port of call was the Three Chimneys on Skye but, while there, I chanced upon a brochure in our room that included an advert for a place called the Loch Torridon Country House Hotel (now renamed as The Torridon). We still had some time on our hands so, after a quick phone call, I got us booked in there for a night. After a very circuitous, but beautiful, journey from Skye, via the Bealach na Ba and the amazing coast road in Applecross we arrived at our destination. So began what can only be described as a love affair with Torridon and Applecross. The girlfriend I was travelling with is now my wife and, ever since that incredible trip, we've been very regular visitors to Torridon and Applecross, and have stayed or eaten in The Torridon on a number of occasions over the years.

For our most recent trip to Torridon we had four days booked in a holiday cottage. Imagine our surprise when we turned up at the aforementioned cottage at 8pm on a wet and windy night only to find that it was occupied by a family! Along to The Torridon we trotted - mainly to borrow their internet access to get the phone number of the owner of the holiday cottage so that we could find out when the occupants of 'our' cottage were leaving. When I explained our predicament to Taylah, the very helpful Australian girl on the reception desk at The Torridon, she got me set up with internet access and offered me the use of the hotel's phone because the mobile coverage that night was very poor due to the weather. There was no answer from the cottage owner so I left a message with him, at which point the very resourceful Taylah asked how far we'd come (a 4 hour drive) and what we planned to do. When I said that I wasn't sure she said that she could offer us a room for the night at a reduced rate. After a bit of humming and hawing (and getting approval from 'the boss') we accepted the offer.

Unfortunately we'd missed the dinner service but Taylah offered us sandwiches or snacks. As we'd brought pizzas with us for a quick and easy dinner in the cottage I asked if she could cook them in The Torridon's kitchens for us. 'No problem', said Taylah, and, twenty minutes later, there was a knock on the door of our lovely room and Taylah and one of her colleagues entered with a very large tray containing our ready-cut pizzas, fine cotton napkins, cutlery and two large glasses for the bottle of wine we'd also ordered.

So, thanks to Taylah, what could have been a complete and utter pain in the backside turned into a very enjoyable adventure. We had a pleasant evening, a great night's sleep and a delicious breakfast the next day.

The point of this review is that the service I received at The Torridon, in unexpected and unusual circumstances, was second to none. It was friendly, welcoming, accommodating and not at all stuffy - just what I want when I'm on a break and in the middle of a mini-crisis. I also know from previous experience that, while the service Taylah provided was exceptional, it is not the exception to the rule at The Torridon.

As a little footnote to this story, we got into our holiday cottage the next day as the owner had made a mistake with the booking and thought that was the day we were arriving. Was I bothered? Not at all - I had an unexpected and enjoyable night at The Torridon to reflect upon.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
nantwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Our first ever Christmas away and what a perfect choice. We couldn't have asked for more. Everything was perfect, the setting (magnificent), the service (personal but not overbearing), the food (divine) and the atmosphere (magical). We wondered whether we would be two people amongst groups of others, but not so. All the guests were friendly and joined in the festivities, making our visit truly memorable, in fact so memorable that we booked for Hogmanay 2014 before we left - and not a moment too soon as most of the rooms were already booked. Can't wait!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Doncaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed at The Torridon for my best friend's 50th Birthday party. There were 20 of us for the weekend!! We were so well looked after from start to finish. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The food was fabulous and the breakfast amazing!!! The room was comfy with all the comforts you would expect. My friends have been telling us about the Torridon for many years and it lived up to and exceeded their stories.

Room Tip: All of them are wonderful. We had a great time visiting friend's rooms to see which they were i...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Torridon? Share your experiences!