“Paradise in the Torridons” 5 of 5 stars

The Torridon
Annat | By Achansheen, Torridon IV22 2EY, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Torridon
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise in the Torridons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

extremely friendly hotel. Staff went out of their way to help and accomodate our difficult wishes after our luggage got lost in Gatwick Airport. Very patient and helpful. Room fantastic, beautiful view of Loch Torridon, everything brand new as just redecorated.
Food from Chef was delicious and lovingly prepared. Enjoyed the 5 course dinner very much after tough walking up Ben Alligin. Delightful advice in the bar about the whisky - 350 different malts ! Atmosphere of the hotel lovely, warm, welcoming with a touch of luxury - just what you need in this tough environment.
Can't wait to go back. Absolutely value for money and excellent!

Room Tip: ask to have a view to the Loch.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our staff and service and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. thank you for the great photos you loaded as well. Regards, Dan & Rohaise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have recently returned from a one night stay at The Torridon with my partner.
So many things make this hotel extra special. The dramatic mountainous setting and sea loch that change colour depending on the light conditions really do add to the actual charm of the hotel itself. As soon as you arrive you are made to feel very welcome. We were offered complimentary tea and coffee on arrival. We were then promptly shown our lovely room by the very attentive lady at the reception who, as with all the staff take a genuine pride in the service and quality the hotel provides.
Dinner was a wonderful experience. All 5 courses were incredible and the attentive yet unobtrusive service was delightful. The best bit was enjoying a post-dinner cognac in the drawing room, in a very comfortable chair next to a log fire, whilst looking out to the loch, unaware that I was about to have the best sleep ever in a very comfortable bed, before waking the next morning and enjoying a Scottish breakfast of pure indulgence. (Even opted for whiskey and cream in my porridge which I could get used to!)
We cannot wait to return to repeat the experience. (not just the whiskey and porridge!)
Thanks again for a magnicent stay and I am sure you will one day retain the Scottish Hotel of the Year Award that you deservedly won in 2011.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review of The Torridon. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that many factors contributed to the enjoyment of your stay. We are glad also that you enjoyed the unique location that The Torridon has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Torridon in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Daniel and Rohaise Rose-Bristow
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I love this place! It is the REAL scottish castle stay. It is a bit remote but once you get there it is so worthwith!

I really do not recommend trying to arrive at this place at night, it is not so easy to find if you have never been there before, even if you had Sat-nav. In some areas we passed through it was so mountainous the sat-nav did not work.

At the time we stayed it was a package with 2 nights for 3 and there was a lovely gourmet dinner. The rare whiskey collection is wonderful though I do not know very much about it, the semelier was so educational when I got talking about it and I really learnt a lot about rare scotch.

The food was very pleasant.I thought it used too much butter but I think that is a personal preference. I really enjoyed the overall ambience of the place. It has a lot of history and beautiful lake side location.

I found the room was a little bit cold, so I had to ask them to turn up the thermostat in my room. I really like the bath-tub as it was deep and luxurious.

The nature around was fantastic! The staff service are great, no complaints whatsoever. They are just lovely people.

I thought they could do with more interesting books in the common room and a more varied choice of newspaper. But if that is my only amendment to my stay, you can tell they are so good at what they do, I should just be quiet. haha.

thank you for a lovely stay. We arrived at night, got lost, and then on our way back nearly got stuck in a snow storm but you are worth every bit o the hassle. All the best to you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
CLT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Beautiful accommodations in a beautiful setting. Helpful and friendly staff. Chris and other outdoor services team make sure you have a great experience. Try the kayaking and gorge scrambling!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Thank you very much for such a kind review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to The Torridon.

Kind Regards,

Daniel and Rohaise Rose-Bristow
Britain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We first stayed here about five years ago; we've returned several times since and are heading back up again shortly.
The reason we keep returning is that we've always been very warmly welcomed (including our 18 month old daughter, who was treated like a princess and had a table set for tea each day with white linen, silver cutlery, and something the chef had freshly made).
We've stayed each time in the cottage suite since we have a dog: it is quiet, comfortable, with a luxurious bathroom and plenty of room for hanging up wet walking clothes.
The whisky bar is like nothing else I've ever seen, with as many whiskies as there are days of the year; the food has always been impeccable each time I've visited; the staff are courteous, helpful, and warm; and as other reviewers have mentioned, it is well located for the Torridon mountains.
I'm scratching my head to think of any negatives... I suppose the wifi signal in the cottage was a bit weak.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Bangok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

This is a lovely hotel with spectacular views across a sea loch to mountains with snow on the peaks even in May. Perfect for walkers. Very pleasant 'country house' atmosphere. Excellent food. In particular the 'full Scottish breakfast' of bacon, black pudding, haggis, tomato, eggs any way you want, mushroom and a sliver of potato. Home made marmalade. Even the toast tastes as if it was toasted on a fork over an open wood fire. Best breakfast I've ever had.

Room Tip: I lucked out and got the room with the bay window overlooking the bay, its circular bathroom directl...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

What a wonderful place! Bridget gave us a great welcome and our room had superb views. The staff were very friendly and well trained and nothing was too much trouble. The setting is amazing - right on the lochside surrounded by mountains. The food was very good - a real wow and better than we were expecting - why isn't this in the Good Food Guide? We would really recommend this hotel - we will return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Torridon? Share your experiences!