“Too late for Breakfast” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Tain
Bath, United Kingdom
“Too late for Breakfast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked 2 rooms for Saturday 25th May- the room allocated were the Haakon for my husband and I and the Arabella for my 87 year old mum. We arrived late on Saturday night after a family party. My mum was nervous about managing the stiff lock on her bedroom door in the event of a fire and being slightly taller than average, my hubby and I were disappointed by the small double bed in the huge Haakon suite. The large brown stain on the Haakon window drapes was also bit off-putting. We went down to breakfast on Sunday morning at 9.50am, a little the worse for wear, to be told breakfast was no longer being served - poor considering we paid £95 and £160 respectively for our rooms and hadn't been warned about the breakfast hours during our late check in. We retreated to the Carnegie Lodge Hotel where other relatives were staying and the Manageress there fixed us 3 gorgeous cooked breakfasts.

I can overlook artificial plants adorning bedroom fireplaces and funky decor but refusing to serve breakfast after 9.30am on a Sunday morning??? Well sorry Mansfield Castle but COME ON!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Mountlake Terrace, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Staying in a castle in Scotland was on the top of our travel musts. Since we wanted to tour the Glenmorangie distillery, it fit in perfect. The house was very impressive walking in. The dining room to the right looked cozy and the bar to the left inviting. The large staircase looked promising. We checked in and found that they were fully booked. The couple in front of us didn't like their room, so the front desk put them in a different room. This room change worked great for my friend's parents. They were "upgraded" to the Tower Suite. My friend and I were shown to our room up the staircase and down two sets of stairs. This was very disappointing. We were in room #25 in the addition. I would have to say that this was almost the worst room outside of a budget hotel that I have ever stayed in. I even swear there were what looked to be blood stains on the wallpaper. (I do have photos). The view was of overgrown grass, a large propane tank and a storage shed. The bed was very comfortable I must say. The only bright side was that it was for only one night, and that we were so close to the emergency exit accross from the kitchen, so we didn't have to carry our luggage back up and down all of the stairs. We could roll out to the parking lot. The Tower Suite was wonderful, and maybe the other rooms in the main house were too. Would not stay here again if the only option were rooms in the addition. This section would benefit greatly from a remodel. Other rooms had whirpool baths and double sinks? Wow. Would have loved that, and I bet I paid the same price for my room. Breakfast however was really good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Back in March, I stayed here with my fiancee after he surprised me with a vacation for just us to get away from work and everything going on around us that wasn't pleasant. I had the best stay and time at this hotel!
The place was very clean and welcoming, the staff were always very friendly and polite. Our waitress was amazing, I cannot commend her enough! She was truly interested in our stay and what we were doing/where we were from... ect. Often you can tell the faked interest from someone, but hers was truly genuine. She had a great conversation with us about Canada, she'd visited before, very interesting!
Super place, would love to visit Scotland and very there again!.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

on our arrival at Mansfield Castle we both thought it was very strange that it is in the middle of a housing estate, but we are now thinking it wouldn't always have been like that back in the day. ?
We thought it was a great hotel, we had a very large bedroom facing the front we didnt have much of view as looking on to a school, but lovely room with tea, coffee, hot chocolate ect,we also had a very large bathroom which was great.
the food was lovely as we had the dinner at night which we thought it was not over priced, in the morning there was a great choice for breakfast our choice was the lovley cooked breakfast which set us up for the day.
I would go back to this castle / hotel.

Room Tip: We had the room facing the school which was at the front of the hotel a very large room as was the b...
Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

It is quite disconcerting finding the castle is opposite the local school and the Castle isn't quite as grand as it sounds. Like many 'themed' Scottish hotels there was a plethora of tartan and the carpets made me think I'd stepped into Brigadoon!

However when we were shown into Haaken we changed our mind. The room was simply fantastic. The bathroom was a big as our bedroom [and we have a big bedroom!] with a whirlpool corner bath, twin sinks and everything you could want. The room itself was big enough to play tennis in. Celia was bowled over with my generosity [It was only later I told her she, being a successful author, was paying for this one!] There were one or two oddities in the room that were mirrored later on. Firstly, there was a large TV but it was set up to watch from bed only. You had to re-arrange the room to watch it from the sofa. Secondly the choice of tea/coffee etc in the room suggested that they weren't catering for Gourmands. Crawfords biscuits, Instant coffee, breakfast and some herbal teas but no Earl Grey or ground coffee.

We tried to get Earl Gray over the bar - no chance [although the staff were very apologetic about it]. Then it came to dinner and we were served what I would class as modest pub grub. I can't remember what we had for a starter [which says it all] Celia had fish & chips and I had steak pie. The food was adequate but definitely no more - the sort of food you would get in any city centre chain of pubs [but at 2x the price]

To be fair though the breakfast was fantastic. Local black pudding, haggis & sausage with a good potato cake, plenty of toast and reasonably fresh coffee.

It isn't cheap and for what you are paying the food should have been great. The room & breakfast was, dinner wasn't.

Room Tip: try and get one of the rooms in the castle and not the annexe If it is free get Haaken If you like...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MansfieldTain, Owner at Mansfield Castle Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thanks for the review, again a lengthy one and very positive .

The Earl Grey Tea we normally have,have put on order,and we did offer a selection of fruit and flavoured teas ,supplied by Twinnings.

The food is gastro pub ish,large portions all prepared using local produce where possible.
We have one menu, throughout prepared by professional chefs and cooked from fresh.This also keeps the prices lower.
We feel the food is prepared to rosette standard but presented as gastro pub style,If we were to move to a Michilan star or Rosette style menu,prices would not suit the northern Scottish or Tourist Market.
We would have a snobby menu and no customers.
Southport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The photographs on the net are quite deceptive.
We followed the SatNav and turned off the A9 into Scotsburn Road, to find ourselves on a housing estate, only a sign stating the castle was in front of us stopped us turning back. The “Castle” is opposite the local school surrounded by houses, the lawn / driveway are all that is left of the once large “Castle” lands.
The “Castle” is a large Victorian house that has had a tower added. The music/radio blaring across reception would suit a teenager, but not a “castle”. The Haakon Room was larger than expected, the bathroom was immaculate, large and as big as some bedrooms we have stayed in. The bedroom curtains front and sides had large old stains on them, they were not lined so the room was in complete brightness well before 7am.
The dinner menu is basic but large enough menu, the steak when served was much larger than expected, cooked as requested, so not bad. When asking for a liqueur coffee the waitress stated they had no cognac, so I stated any brandy would do, no brandy. It appears that the hotel is mainly used by people who are working away from home. Most residents were men in jeans wearing day-glow vests when they pulled up. All very friendly, no rowdiness, but not what you expect in a “Castle” lounge.
Breakfast – the worst we have had in Scotland! Until Mansfield Castle, we have always had exceptionally good breakfasts in Scotland, small B&Bs years ago, modern or established hotels, now or cafes – all good. The full cooked breakfast came with significant slices of Black Pudding and Haggis, both were so dripping in grease it oozed out as a folk touched either. We noticed all guests left these untouched or with a miniscule piece cut off but not eaten. The teenage music from the radio continued from reception penetrating the breakfast lounge.
No “Castle” atmosphere, we would not stay again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MansfieldTain, Owner at Mansfield Castle Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Difficult to work this one out.
Do they expect Highlanders not to live in houses.The castle is across from The Award winning Tain Royal Academy,surrounded by the pictish town of Tain.Thought that was the best of both worlds, a castle with its own grounds not in the middle of no where.
Dinner was good,room was good except for it being light in May in northern Scotland,when the sun hardly sets.
Other guests were oil executives and engineers, all on huge salaries,but maybe relaxing ,in casual dress ,which we encourage throughout,after a hard days work...Snobby.
Breakfast produce all local,Black pudding and haggis from golspie,grilled but of course the nature of the product means it has an amount of fat content,maybe they should have tried the vegetarian haggis.
Very harsh scoring we feel but our approach is to take all comments on board and strive to improve.
Shropsire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Hotel of choice third time here, I have stayed in the old and new part of this Hotel and yes the old part is better but nothing wrong with the new part,very comfortable,lovely showers and warm room ( it was minus 4 outside)
The staff are very efficient and friendly and the food is amazing and the prices are very reasonable.
I will stay here again on my next working trip in the Highlands.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old wing,if you want something different see if the Tower room is available !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mansfield Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!