“Ideal stopover on the way to the Orkneys” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fearn Hotel

Fearn Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tain
Fearn Hotel
You added Fearn Hotel to your Saves list
Hill of Fearn, Tain IV20 1TJ, Scotland   |
Ranked #9 of 14 Tain B&B and Inns
ORKNEY
“Ideal stopover on the way to the Orkneys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Found the Hotel when a golf tournament made it impossible to obtain reasonably priced accommodation near Inverness. Set in quiet rolling countryside the owners make you feel at home on arrival. The road outside gets a bit busy from 6 to 8 am due to traffic to and from Nigg, but we didn't find it particularly intrusive. The No 1 rule for a stay in any Hotel is a good bed to sleep in and The Fearn certainly wont let you down in this respect.

We had dinner in the Hotel both nights we were there, found the food to be excellent and of a good variety. Everything a good country Pub and Hotel should be, quiet and peaceful.

I would have no hesitation recommending the Hotel and we will stay there again. You have to drive half an hour back towards Inverness to shop, but it's a small inconvenience.

Room Tip: Room 1 had plenty of storage space. Farmhouse white walls and pine furniture. Parked the car beneath...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Fearn Hotel was my last overnight stop before the final leg of my cycle ride from Lands End to John O'Groats.
Whilst it was slightly off my direct route I liked the description of it on their website. It was nonetheless easy to find and is well situated with a great view of the surrounding countryside.
Graeme the proprietor greeted me by name as soon as I arrived and immediately addressed my concerns about the security of my bike by storing it in his lock up.
I had booked a single room and was allocated one at the rear of the hotel .This was clean, and comfortable with an ensuite bathroom and hot drink making facilities. Not the height of luxury, but well suited to my needs.
As I was tired and hungry I made my way to the restaurant immediately after showering and changing. The dining room is light and airy and overlooks the livestock farm across a narrow road. (This provided a very engaging backdrop during the meal, watching the interplay between calves and sheep sharing the same pasture!) I wasn't sure what to expect of the food as I was prepared for the usual sort of hearty pub fare without anything exceptional. In fact, after an excellent, warming soup I was served venison casserole with boiled potatoes and a good selection of veg. This was the most memorable meal that I enjoyed during my 11 day journey. Very, tasty very wholesome and in a generous portion. The chocolate dessert was similarly generous and delicious. The restaurant service was excellent . Accompanied by a couple of pints of Guinness served at a proper temperature, this was a very satisfying experience and well worth the 4 mile diversion from my Northern route.
I spent a comfortable night and I was particularly grateful that the hotel were prepared to give me an excellent full breakfast at 7.00AM, assisting my need to get under way promptly for the last 95 miles of my journey.
Graeme and Denise bid me a safe journey and I was left with the memory of a very pleasant night in a lovely location, with some very nice people.

Room Tip: Hard to say, as I only saw the single room which was perfectly good but basic compared to some. (I w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel in nice location, owned by husband and wife (Graham and Denise). Made extremely welcome, clean and tidy good meals. (Serve both bar and evening meals) Great value for money. Good breakfast not far from Tain.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Fearn Hotel? Share your experiences!