“Best seafood of my life” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 restaurants in Shieldaig
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Best seafood of my life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am a seafood fan - and the food was excellent.

I had the mussels and seafood stew - both were done fantastically.
We ended up with creme brulee which was nice too.

The view was lovely. I could see the sea right from our seat. The service really nice.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Stouport on Severn
“OK but there are better restaurants not too far away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Dined with my wife and friends. We were early, so no trouble in getting a table, but later arrivals were turned away, as they did not have a booking. Good atmosphere and service. However, we found the food a little disappointing. I had the seafood stew, which was expensive and did not live up to expectations. One langustine, four small overcooked mussels, two scallops, some small pieces of fish and a few new potatoes in a fish bisque. In my opinion, not much for nearly £19. If you want great seafood go to the Applecross Inn.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“excellent value for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Went with my family on a crowded Saturday night. The restaurant is located on the first floor above the pub. The setting is very nice especially if you can sit close to the windows which has a nice bay view. Food was very well prepared and in good portions. My wife and I had moules marinières (mussels) and scampis. One of the very good eating options in Shieldaig. If you're looking for slightly more eleborate food, you have to drive to the Torridon Inn (slightly more expensive also). We didn't try the hotel's inhouse restaurant which was much more expensive so I cannot give any insight here.

Visited May 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Well Up to the Usual Standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have eaten here two or three times a year for the last ten years or so, including twice in the last week. The food is well up to the usual high standard, particularly the delicious fish. The seafood pizza is as good as pizza gets anywhere. The staff change from year to year, but are usually very good. This year we thought they were excellent. The atmosphere varies with how busy the place is. The view, whatever the weather, is simply stunning.

Visited May 2013
Shiel Bridge, United Kingdom
“disappointing service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We've been in Shieldaig for lunch on Tuesday and went to this restaurant - which looks really nice and also the menu seems to be tempting. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to order any food because of the very disappointing service of one of the waitresses (very young blond girl) - while we ordered a coke with the other waitress (which at least had a smile) and watched the menu, this waitress threw another menu onto our table while she was passing it to get to the fire place - no hello, no smile, no introduction to the menu, nothing, she even didn't look at us! We were really surprised since we didn't know what we did wrong and at least which menu we should take....and since we like to feel welcomed at places where we eat, we better decided to leave...went to Nannys Shop and had a lovely lunch.

I rate two stars because the restaurant itself looks comfortable and the other waitress seemed to be okay.The food might be good as the other reviews show and I would have loved to eat there and but I really can't get along with unfriendly and unprofessional waiting!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ellaandkaty, Owner at Shieldaig Bar and Coastal Kitchen, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Hello and thank you for writiing what you did and we really apologise - this is not what you should expect and certainly not what we try and offer. We are well aware of the "incident". Kerry - the waitress who did try and serve you but was busy upstairs reported the whole thing. She was devasted by what happened and only really realised what was happening when it was too late. The person who was supposed to be looking after you was new to us and has since left. We have mostly local staff but each season we have to take on a few extra people and usually they are lovely but in this case we made a misjudgement and we are really sorry that this affected your holiday and vist to Shieldaig. I hope everyone will look at the other reviews for this summer and see that we have really friendly staff who really care and strive hard to give everyone the absolutely best service.