“Good food - Good place!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 15 Restaurants in Fort Augustus
Cuisines: British
Kanata, Canada
“Good food - Good place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We ate at the Scots kitchen and we enjoyed the food. My wife and daughter had Macaroni & Cheese and they said that it was outstanding, best ever Mac & Cheese they ever ate. I had steak pie with fries which was extremely good and tasty. Good portion. My wife also had a veggie Haggis which she enjoyed. In short, good atmosphere and the food was great. We recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

We had lunch here yesterday so are back for morning coffee today. Lovely warm welcome and the perfect place to refresh before you head further north or south. I recommend the Belgian brownies, but only one at a time!!

Visited April 2013
Dunfermline
“B & B - Do not even consider off season”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Arrived within the agreed window, all doors locked and sign saying "please phone number given". Owner arrived within a few minutes. Entrance was to rear of property and could not open lock. Finally managed to get door open and so said he would leave outside entrance door open!. Restaurant was closed and so was the bar but alternatve was suggested. After eating and a few drinks at the local "Bothy Restaurant" returned to accomodation. There were no outside lights on to the side or rear to even show the way. Just as well we had keyring torch. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was 10 am downstairs in normal restaurant/cafe. Staff were cleaning out the fire and dust was everywhere. No cereal available or not offered. Cooked breakast arrived just as a coach party came in. Overcooked egg and bacon which was unpalatable.
The bottom line is - do not use ths place out of main season. I have no idea what it is like during main season and after this visit will not be intending to find out.
Outside door had to remain open all night so there was a lack of security. If the tourist office accross the road had been open, I would have taken this up immediately.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Try elsewhere...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Went in with my family for lunch, the place was nice inside and seemed quite busy. Food menu is just your typical quick and easy cafe/restaurant fare; burgers, mac & cheese, baked potatoes etc. When my burger arrived it was almost rock solid, which complimented my near frozen chips splendidly. The 'salad' consisted of a pile of chopped veg, which wasn't even fresh. I suppose everybody has different interpretations of what a salad consists of but I always like to see nice big leaves, fresh veg and a dressing/vinaigrette of sorts. Also at our table was a Macaroni Cheese which was dry and overly chewy, a potato soup which - probably quite predictably - was pretty bland and also a vegetable and bean burger, which suffered a similar fate in the kitchen as my burger.

A point of note also was that none of our crockery or cutlery had been cleaned properly. I'm not a huge fan of eating my food with another person's leftovers still on the fork.

The only saving grace for this place is that the food on offer was reasonably priced, and although we didn't have any the tray bakes looked quite tasty. I'd like to think that with so many tourists going around Fort Augustus there'd be quality food on offer. Not here. Annoyed slightly that they called themselves 'Scots Kitchen', I'd hope nobody visiting this country would go away thinking this stuff was representative of the fine cuisine available in Scotland!

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rishon Lezion, Israel
“The Fish & Chips was good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

There aren't a lot of restaurants in Fort Augustus.
Scots Kitchen is not expensive and the food was OK. The service was good.

I ordered the Fish & Chips and it was OK.

• Visited September 2012