“poor quality for the price” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 18 hotels in Manchester
USA
“poor quality for the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed in Manchester while attending an event at a nearby college in Sewanee, TN. We were very disappointed with the room quality for the price. We were charged 150.00 for a king "suite", which consisted of a very large room, with a couch in the same room, and a bathtub (?) in the same room. The room smelled quite bad, very musty, almost a pet smell, although supposedly a no pet facility. Also, there were plastic shards and other debris on the floor. We will never stay there again. Also, the windows do not open, so there is no way to get fresh air into the room and try to dissipate the musty smell. We contacted the management via a link on their website, but never heard back. If you are a Sewanee parent or attending an event in Monteagle/Sewanee, look elsewhere.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear letshikeluxury,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with your room accommodation. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Beach, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here driving thru from Lexington, TN to Atlanta. Every hotel in hotel in Murfreesboro was sold out, so we found a room here. We stayed in 205, a king sized bed suite. Very clean & comfortable, no road noise from I-26. Bed firm and comfortable with 4 king pillows of varying softness/firmness. Breakfast not much to comment on, but there is. Starbucks right around corner from hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013
Addie T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hi JDinTLH!,

I want to thank you so very kindly for your wonderful review! We are often a stop over middle point for travelers. It was our pleasure to serve you and our benefit Murfreesboro was booked as we got to accommodate such a lovely guest. I am very pleased you noticed the new pillows and enjoyed them so much. We hope you will give our breakfast a try the next time you are passing through. Thank you again!
Orange, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Had a nice stay, desk staff was friendly, area was clean and the bed was a good one. What more can you ask? I do think it's overpriced given that it's in a semi-rural area, but then there aren't a lot of upper end hotels from which to choose.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Addie T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
We love to hear these superlative examples of why you liked our establishment so much. Thank you greatly! It is always good to especially hear remarks of our staff friendliness as we try to take care of all our guests. We also hope our product was worth the price as we run a very high occupancy due to great guests like you! Thank you again.
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Manchester HIE recently. It was conveniently located between Huntsville, AL and Nashville, TN. We've been very fortunate with other HIE locations and was expecting more of the same, but we were a little less fortunate this time.
Our check-in happened in record time---Jennie had our info on file, she swiped the card and I had the room key in less than 60 seconds. Then reality set in.

Our room was "surface clean"---their was litter from previous guests under the beds. The exhaust fan was inoperable and even a main bathroom lightbulb was burnt; all minor things that housekeeping should've noticed. The exercise room was closed off to guests, not because of faulty equipment, but because the door lock wasn't working properly. (You'd think that they could just prop the door open and let guests continue to use the room.)

The breakfast had a wide variety of options, but it even seemed off a bit. The cinnamon rolls were cold, eggs were "rubbery", and the milk was one day from being out of date.

For $130 per night, I expected quite a bit more than what I received. If I were to visit Manchester again, I'd be likely to look for another option.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear taffytrixie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for any shortfalls you have encountered. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We found the Holiday Inn Express to be an excellent hotel. We got a deal on Priceline, so the price was right. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was great. It was much more than you normally get for "free."

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello WITransplants,

We are so elated to hear about your great stay with us! I am especially pleased to hear our staff was gregarious and friendly as we all do try to go that extra mile. We love that you enjoyed our breakfast, thank you! I am beyond happy you found our quality to meet your needs.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

For $100 / night for one person, I expect more. The front desk clerks were more interested in their personal conversations than the guests. They checked me in, and even during that I had to wait while they celebrated over selling a certain room at such a good rate over the phone. They retreated to the back room before I could even turn around to look for the elevator. No one was at the desk when I went to dinner or when I came back. The next morning when I went to check out, there was no one at the front desk (peak check-out time). This is when I would have told them my issues with the room, especially the smoke-filled curtains. I would think they would welcome the feedback and be available for this prime time period.

Cons: Lack of good customer service. King-size bed was too high off the floor for me to be able to sit down. The air conditioning had only one temperature… very cold! I had to turn it off and then back on several times. When off, I could hear the trucks on the highway. I kept smelling smoke and finally tracked it down to the smoke-filled curtains. This is unacceptable. When the air was on, it blew the smoke odor from the curtains out into the room. The elevator was very small, and there were not enough luggage carts.

Pros: Breakfast was good! I especially enjoyed the biscuits and gravy and the cinnamon rolls. I appreciated the large size of the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Mary Y, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We want to start off by apologizing for our lack of customer service. Ignoring our guests is definitely not anything we accept or encourage. We do greatly appreciate your feedback as it is only our guests feedback that keeps us improving. We continuously try to provide quality excellent service to make our guests feel at home with us. We are sincerely sorry for every inconvenience you encountered with out property and assure that each issue will be addressed and improved. We do honestly hope that you give us another opportunity in the future for us to wow you with our exceptional service!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Manchester TN for one night as my family and I were traveling from Orlando FL to Kentucky Lake. It was past our half way point and conveniently located right off the Interstate 24. The area is pleasant; nice little Starbucks right out front; gas stations, fast food etc… The front desk staff was friendly and helpful; we didn’t get in until pretty late and they were accommodating. The room was very comfortable and very clean; the beds were comfortable as well; two double beds suite. The morning breakfast was pretty good; my son enjoyed it; pancakes, scrambled eggs (looked like an omelet, but with nothing inside), sausage, bagel, toast, cinnamon rolls, cereals; yogurt. Coffee wasn’t half bad either. I would definitely stay here again if I am ever traveling through area. Didn’t give 5 stars because the price was just a little high; $144.00 plus tax; which was 15.25 %, and that was an early booking with prepayment. That’s a lot for Manchester TN… But, other than the price I have no complaints… The room was really nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We want to greatly thank you for your wonderful words about our property. We love all of our guest's feedback so that we can make our property and service even better. We encourage all of our guests to call our property directly so that we can offer you the best possible price for our rooms and ensure that you receive the best value. We continuously try to improve our guest experience and will continue to provide the great exceptional service that has come to be expected form Holiday Inn Express. We sincerely hope that we get to have you stay with us again so that we can wow you with our exceptional service and hope that you are as happy with out price as you are with our service.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Manchester? Share your experiences!