“Holiday Inn Express Manchester TN - Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Manchester
Atlanta, Georgia
“Holiday Inn Express Manchester TN - Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

For $100 / night for one person, I expect more. The front desk clerks were more interested in their personal conversations than the guests. They checked me in, and even during that I had to wait while they celebrated over selling a certain room at such a good rate over the phone. They retreated to the back room before I could even turn around to look for the elevator. No one was at the desk when I went to dinner or when I came back. The next morning when I went to check out, there was no one at the front desk (peak check-out time). This is when I would have told them my issues with the room, especially the smoke-filled curtains. I would think they would welcome the feedback and be available for this prime time period.

Cons: Lack of good customer service. King-size bed was too high off the floor for me to be able to sit down. The air conditioning had only one temperature… very cold! I had to turn it off and then back on several times. When off, I could hear the trucks on the highway. I kept smelling smoke and finally tracked it down to the smoke-filled curtains. This is unacceptable. When the air was on, it blew the smoke odor from the curtains out into the room. The elevator was very small, and there were not enough luggage carts.

Pros: Breakfast was good! I especially enjoyed the biscuits and gravy and the cinnamon rolls. I appreciated the large size of the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Mary Y, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We want to start off by apologizing for our lack of customer service. Ignoring our guests is definitely not anything we accept or encourage. We do greatly appreciate your feedback as it is only our guests feedback that keeps us improving. We continuously try to provide quality excellent service to make our guests feel at home with us. We are sincerely sorry for every inconvenience you encountered with out property and assure that each issue will be addressed and improved. We do honestly hope that you give us another opportunity in the future for us to wow you with our exceptional service!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Manchester TN for one night as my family and I were traveling from Orlando FL to Kentucky Lake. It was past our half way point and conveniently located right off the Interstate 24. The area is pleasant; nice little Starbucks right out front; gas stations, fast food etc… The front desk staff was friendly and helpful; we didn’t get in until pretty late and they were accommodating. The room was very comfortable and very clean; the beds were comfortable as well; two double beds suite. The morning breakfast was pretty good; my son enjoyed it; pancakes, scrambled eggs (looked like an omelet, but with nothing inside), sausage, bagel, toast, cinnamon rolls, cereals; yogurt. Coffee wasn’t half bad either. I would definitely stay here again if I am ever traveling through area. Didn’t give 5 stars because the price was just a little high; $144.00 plus tax; which was 15.25 %, and that was an early booking with prepayment. That’s a lot for Manchester TN… But, other than the price I have no complaints… The room was really nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We want to greatly thank you for your wonderful words about our property. We love all of our guest's feedback so that we can make our property and service even better. We encourage all of our guests to call our property directly so that we can offer you the best possible price for our rooms and ensure that you receive the best value. We continuously try to improve our guest experience and will continue to provide the great exceptional service that has come to be expected form Holiday Inn Express. We sincerely hope that we get to have you stay with us again so that we can wow you with our exceptional service and hope that you are as happy with out price as you are with our service.
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We arrived after a long day on the road with lots of traffic delays. Everyone on staff was warm and friendly and very efficient with any request. Coffee and hot tea available anytime and several good breakfast options too. The rooms were clean with comfortable beds. Would stay again if we pass through that way.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Amber K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We would like to personally thank you for your very warm comments about our hotel. We always strive to impress our guests with excellence, friendly staff members, and a pleasant stay. I do hope that we see you and are able to extend the same great stay experience the next time you are visiting Manchester,TN.
Alapaha, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was only here for one night. I was staying to see a concert at Cumberland Caverns. The hotel was great, very comfortable. The location was fairly convienient to interstate 24 and local restaurants. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I want to thank you so very much for your kind words about our property. We continually try to do our best at keeping our guests happy and feeling like part of our family. We strive for excellence in every area whether it be cleanliness, foor quality, customer service, and loyalty program recognition. I hope to see you the next time you are travelling through or visiting the area to provide you with the same quality of service you received this stay. Thank you so much!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is proppobly the nicest in are, with very friendly staff how ever has some shortcomings. My room was nice and big fairly clean but bathroom fixtures are pretty old, toilet was cracked as well as bath tub was showing signs of mold.
I think worst part is the breakfast are which is very small and can hardly fit all the guest , the business area is in same place and everyone can watch over your shoulder what you doing on computer, lady working the breakfast area is not wearing any protective gloves and I see her going in to garbage and then touching trays for food that is not very pleasant .
I did stay here few times but is just because there is nothing better here.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Branusik,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent stay. I am pleased you were satisfied with the room you received. However, I am sorry you found our breakfast, service and condition of the bathroom facility less than satisfactory. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

Once again, thank you for your comments and to better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the Manager on Duty.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Had to stay 3 nights for a business event. Rooms were clean and nice. Coffee was good (a huge perk to this coffee junkie!) and breakfast options were decent. You could have anything from cereal to something hot. Will be back next time I'm in need of a hotel in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I was very glad to hear that being a business traveller you enjoyed your stay here with us at HIE Manchester,TN. I have had many guests tell us how great our coffee tastes and of course we continually keep it hot a fresh all day and night long. Our excellent and caring staff try to provide every guest with anything that they need to make them feel like this is their home away from home. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are travelling through or are here on business.
Ohio, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Manchester while on a business conference at the Gossick Leadership Center at Arnold Air Force Base. The Holiday Inn Express makes a very convenient location for business at Arnold AFB and the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC). The hotel is located just off of I-24 is only about a 15-20 minute drive to the Leadership Center and even less to AEDC.

As for the HIE itself, I found it to be clean and comfortable, as well as affordable, but nothing really outstanding. The staff personnel who I dealt with (all at the front desk) were very friendly and quite helpful. Beyond that, it is really just an average or a little better establishment. Here are some observations:

I was in a king room on the first floor. The room had plenty of space and was well appointed. In the main area was the king size bed, two night stands, a large chair and footstool, desk with an office chair and a dresser. Appliances in the bedroom included a flat screen TV (not sure of the size, but not huge), a small refrigerator and a microwave. Overall, very well appointed. The bed was comfy and I slept very well.

The bathroom was good size and had all the niceties. There were plenty of towels and all the little bottles of stuff (shampoo, conditioner, lotion and mouthwash). There was a hairdryer in the bathroom as well as a coffee maker along with fixings for coffee and tea (I drink neither, so no idea if this stuff was really useful).

There is free wifi available in the rooms, which is a plus. But there were negatives as well. It was a little noisy in the room. The air conditioning and the refrigerator both were a little loud (not significant but it could be an issue for a light sleeper). Also there seemed to be an issue with the hot water. Now there was plenty of water pressure, but the water temperature never got steamy. Both when showering or shaving, I had the facets turned to full heat but the water just got to warm (comfortable enough for a shower, but certainly not hot).

The HIE also offers a free breakfast, which is a nice touch, but it is a limited selection. The only fruit were green bananas. There were bagels, breads and muffins, plus hot and cold cereals and a few hot entrees (biscuits and gravy, eggs and bacon or sausage), plus a pancakes. Good enough to get your morning started, but also an artery clogging experience if you do not choose wisely.

There is a small pool and fitness center (two treadmills and two elliptical machines). The fitness center opens at 5:00 AM (not sure of the closing time). There is not a business center in the HIE, but there is a computer in the lobby for the guests to use for printing boarding passes and checking email.

I was a little discouraged with that the cleaning carts were lined-up in the hallway to the rooms early in the morning. It is just not that pleasant of a sight to see all the cleaning carts waiting there as you come and go from breakfast.

My stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Manchester was adequate. The place server my needs but offered no frills, not that I was looking for any. I would stay here in the future, but I would also be open to other options in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mary Y, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
We would like to thank you so much for your very thorough feedback of our hotel. We are sadly disappointed that you did not find our hotel exceptional, but that only encourages us to aim higher. We are so sorry for any incoveniences that you encountered during your stay with us here in Manchester and we sincerely hope we have the opportunity to wow you in the future. Thank you so much for staying with us!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Manchester? Share your experiences!