“Won't sleep soundly and watch out for mold!!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #9 of 18 hotels in Manchester
Minocqua, Wisconsin
“Won't sleep soundly and watch out for mold!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We decided to stay at this Country Inn & Suites hotel recently on our way back to Wisconsin. The bed (king) was fine but all the king-rooms are on the front side of the hotel which is right next to the HIGHWAY. The front desk had a sign that stated this but we didn't think it would be that bad. Boy were we wrong. I think the room could have been sound-insulated better but it appears to be an older hotel retro-fitted as a CI&S. The bathroom had mold starting in the shower ceiling area....UGH!!!!!
On the plus side...the staff was very nice and they have a good breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't stay where the hotel is RIGHT NEXT to a highway!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was a planned visit for two days over Christmas. I was very happy with the hotel. It was clean and had very comfortable beds. They served a free hot breakfast which was also very good. The service from everyone was fantastic! I can highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room, you can't go wrong here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The room was $60 and at first glance, seemed like a great value. The room was quite large and unlike most rooms in this class of hotel, had two queen beds instead of doubles. The deficiencies made themselves clear after we had settled in, however. The large in-room refrigerator creaked and banged. There was black mold in the bathroom -- over the shower area and over the door. The breakfast was fine and the staff were helpful, but serious housekeeping needs to be done since black mold generally does not appear overnight.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites Manchester, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Charles,

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Ron Click
Hotel/Marketing Mana
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I needed to stop in Manchester for the night (I was done driving for this day in a truck and trailer I’m not intimately familiar with, and getting dark adding another challenging element to the drive) so started looking online at reviews. I have a generally favorable impression of CI’s, so wanted to check this one out. I wasn’t sure what to make of the property from other reviews, but walked in and the price was right for what I was hoping to expect.

The property is shopworn. Scuffed paint on walls, some deferred maintenance in some spots. The bed I’m on is squeaky (though otherwise comfortable). Some cleanliness issues such as a stained window curtain and spots (that are not scuff marks) on the wall. I’m also disappointed by the lack of a curtain shear on the window (just the black-out curtain, so it serves the purpose of privacy, but lets no light in). Decor is not terrible, but a bit basic. Though I don’t expect trendy out of a chain that has a name with “Country” in it, the decor -in spots- leans to more “motel-ish” than hotel in the rooms.

I was a little put off (though not a major dealbreaker) by the absence of a recliner type chair. The only place to sit in my room is the activity desk. For me traveling solo not a huge deal, but if you had a few people or wanted a more cushy chair not an option here.

The bathroom in my room is slightly odd as the door somewhat blocks the access to the toilet, but it’s not a terrible size. That said, old style linoleum/formica (instead of a more modern granite style), and the linoleum is HEAVILY worn. Mirror is without any decorative frame and is desilvering. Out of date drop-down ceiling tile instead of a regular plaster ceiling.

Room itself is a decent size and the AC/heat unit appears to be working well. Lighting is adequate in room.

Breakfast was standard to what I had seen at the other CI I stayed with hot items, so good from that front. However, the other CI offered actual ceramic plates instead of the plasticware here.

For the moderate walk-in price, it is certainly tolerable for the night. However, property is in need of remodel/refresh, which puts it into a bit of a vicious circle. For the condition it’s in, the property cannot ask higher prices, but could use that revenue to do needed remodel and repair.

Room Tip: Note the sign at the desk that reminds you all king rooms face the interstate. Also consider asking...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Traveling with pet,Club Carlson member,requested 2nd floor, arrived told 4rooms for pets all ground level.first room had shower cap hanging down,rust showing,bed box squeaked,carpets dirty,2nd"pet room" bed had appeared used,carpets dirty.Was told owner does not like pets and rooms not up to par.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites Manchester, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear James,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Breakfast was terrible! There was mold in the bathroom. The beds were extremely uncomfortable and hard. The fridge was unplugged, we did not notice this until the next morning. Not one employee smiled or said anything to us. The whole experience overall was terrible.

• Stayed November 2012
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites Manchester, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Ma'am

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your problems with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Sincerly

Ron Click
Manager
Bolingbrook, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Manchester, Tennessee on Friday, November 16, 2012. We have stayed at hotels in this particular chain in other parts of the country, and they are usually pretty nice. There were several chain hotels at this interstate exit, but we picked Country Inn & Suites due to our past experiences with this chain.

This particular Country Inn & Suites was not nearly as nice as the others we have stayed at. We were informed upon checking in that all King Bed rooms are situated on the interstate side of the building, which is right next to the hotel. We heard noise all night from that road, but it wasn't too bad (or were we too tired to be bothered by it?)

I was surprised at how shabby the hotel was. There was not even a framed art piece in our room. The one mirror was behind the TV, which was kind of stupid. When I went to take a bath later that night, I realized they didn't do a very good job cleaning, because there were a couple hairs in the tub. It was gross. We didn't have a little fridge or microwave, which we've had at Country Inn & Suites in other states.

They did have a little breakfast downstairs, which was okay. The biscuits and gravy were good, but there was really nothing else, and the fruit was old. It seemed like they don't get very many guests.

I should note: we were surprised at how high the sales tax was in this area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites Manchester? Share your experiences!