“Wonderful stay by Royal Dornoch Golf Links” 5 of 5 stars

Royal Golf Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The First Tee, Dornoch IV25 3LG, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Dornoch
Mill Valley, California
“Wonderful stay by Royal Dornoch Golf Links”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I usually expect golf hotels to be somewhat spartan. This is definitely not the case with the Royal Dornoch Golf Hotel. The building is a magnificent mansion. Rooms are relatively large and extremely comfortable--all furnishing were new. The bar and leisure room were very inviting. Golfers could relax and talk about their round or watch the big screen TV over a pint. The restaurant overlooks the magnificent views of the golf course and served some of the best food I had in Scotland on my recent trip. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Best of all, the hotel is right next to the Royal Dornoch Golf Links clubhouse. You walk from your room to the first tee. All-in-all I had a wonderful stay and plan to return.

Room Tip: Ask for view of golf course.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear StephenJ,
Thank you for your very generous and kind review posted recently following your stay at The Royal Golf Hotel.
Naturally I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. A fine compliment indeed to say chefs food is some of the best you have tasted in Scotland during your trip !
We do believe that the walk from the hotel reception to the first tee is probably the shortest in the world from a hotel to a golf course !
I do look forward to welcoming you back to Dornoch and The Royal Golf in the near future.
Robert Ratcliffe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Vantaa, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

When we arrived to the hotel, I though that ok another old old hotel looking quite good but providing mediocre quality. And how wrong was I.
The rooms are very nice and modern - actually when you walk the corridors you would not guess that the rooms are so nice.
The FOOD! This part was the biggest surprise for us. Head Chef (Sam) is really a world class chef. The seafood risotto that was served was so good - probably one of the best risottos I have had. Also other parts of our menu was very good. The food was supported by great wines we found from their wine list.
Excellent value!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Panu R,
Firstly may I thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on tripadvisor following your recent stay here at The Royal Golf Hotel, Dornoch.
Infact it was the Head Chef, Sam, who drew my attention to the fact we had received another review. It was no wonder he mentioned it considering the nature of the review ! You wouldn't believe how many guests are truly delighted with his Seafood Riosotto. This is his signature dish and it never fails to impress.
To say he is 'world class' is a fantastic compliment and we are very grateful for your comments and enjoyment of the food.
Thank you again and I hope we can offer Highland Hospitality to you once more in the future.
Kind Regards,
Robert Ratcliffe and the team.
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

One of the best golf experiences lies 300 feet from your door. Inside awaits a cozy, exquisitely furnished living room/ bar area for after your round. Upstairs the rooms are fairly newly rennovated. Our Ross suite was Scottish in decor, comfy, new large bathroom with great shower. Bed excellent. Large windows overlooking the first tee, eighteen green, and Donoch Firth.

Friendly, efficient staff. And good dinner too. We ate here one night, delicious.

Room Tip: ross suite overlooks first tee. bed is an american king. the singles are tiny, but do the job.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear othello 1111,
Thank you for your wonderful review posted recently following your stay with us. You certainly appear to have enjoyed all aspects of your stay which is very pleasing and I do hope you will be able to visit us again soon.
Kind regards,
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at the Royal Golf Hotel for two nights in August, 2012: Its staff was very welcoming and helpful; the room was comfortable and clean; and the food in the restaurant served cheerfully. I would definitely stay at the Royal Golf Hotel again simply for the excellent service and, of course, proximity to the golf course.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Hudsondeal,
Thank you so much for your kind review posted recently following your stay here in April.
I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to Dornoch and The Royal Golf Hotel. I hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Were not for its location, this hotel would not merit a 4/5 rating. The hotel is expensive and needs upgrading. The bed sagged - not really acceptable in a high-end hotel and the bathroom needed sprucing up. Carpeting in the common areas was somewhat worn and should be replaced. Breakfast was good and overall, service was excellent. People were helpful and most accommodating. We loved the views and access to the golf course and phenominal beach. This hotel has great fundamentals and could easily be ranked 5/5 if these elements were addressed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Anne D,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel.
I take on board your constructive comments. I have to admit I am slightly baffled by your observation about the sagging bed as the mattresses were all renewed just over two years ago and should still be in excellent condition. We will of course check all the beds in order to discover if there is a problem with one of them. During last winter we re-furbished 16 of our 22 bathrooms to a lovely stylish and contemporary standard so I can only deduce that you stayed in one of the rooms where the bathroom was an existing one.We felt these bathrooms were still in excellent condition, however we will now review this based on your comments. If you get an opportunity to e-mail me on the hotel address just to let me know which room you stayed in that would be really appreciated. As you may know we close during the winter from mid November until Mid March so will be carrying out maintenance during this period which includes the points you mention.
I am pleased you found the service to be excellent and you thought the team were helpful.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you get the chance to visit us again in the not too distant future.
General Manager.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a great hotel for a golfing stay, with friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, although our upper level room didn't have many windows and no view at all. The restaurant was fantastic, in terms of both the high quality of the food, good service, great ambience and wonderful outlook over the golf course.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Deat popjm,
Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel. Naturally I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the food and ambiance, and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Dornoch in the future.
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I recently decided at the last minute to alter our travel plans to include Dornoch as a place to visit. So glad we did as this turned out to be the hidden gem! The staff at this hotel were great...the hotel was just as good as the staff. We awoke our first morning to the sound of a tee shot from the first tee as our room overlooked the first tee! Pure delight! The town was gorgeous....only regret was we did not have more time there! No question we will return and will look forward to staying here again...loved it!...hotel and golf highlight! I have been fortunate to golf in a fair number of places around the world and this hotel/golf combination is right at the top!

Room Tip: Ask for the Donald Ross suite!....overlooks the 1st tee! Wow!!! The gorse was in full bloom in mid m...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
managerroyalgolf, General Manager at Royal Golf Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear rodjcalgary,
Thank you so much for posting your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Royal Golf Hotel.
Naturally I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. It is a magnificent review to say this golf course/hotel combination is one of the best !
I am so pleased that you changed your travel plans at the last minute. I do hope you will visit us again before long and remember to allow more time to spend here!!
Robert Ratcliffe

Been to Royal Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!