“Afternoon tea” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bishopton
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Myself and my wife went there for an afternoon tea to round off our weeks holiday as we hadn't gone away anywhere. We weren't quite sure what to expect, not having been to Mar Hall before, but had heard good things about the place. We have been lucky enough to have had afternoon tea at Gleneagles though and hence had high expectations.

The location is very nice, and on arrival the staff were very pleasant. We were shown to a table and everything was very promising. We weren't asked what kind of tea we would like, just of we wanted tea or coffee. Slight shame as we normally drink Earl Grey tea (or espresso coffee).

The tea arrived and was very pleasant, although the crockery did seem a little unrefined. Then the food arrived. It was excellent, no complaints for the kitchen. The baking was fresh, light and tasty, I doubt Paul Hollywood nor Mary Berry would have found too many issues if any.

One thing where I would say they missed a trick is cake forks. More specifically, there were none, which given quite a few sticky cakes was not what I'd expect from a hotel of this calibre. This isn't something which costs money exactly, it's simply attention to detail. To me, afternoon tea in this scenario is as much a marketing exercise as to make money, and I didn't come away believing the staff saw it in this way.

The younger staff members were all very friendly and professional, thank you. Unfortunately that couldn't be said for all. The Maitre d' was, when we were ready to leave, sailing close to being down right ignorant, standing in front of us and clearing the table before allowing us to leave (we had stood up ready to leave before he had appeared over to clear the table).

So, in comparison, the quality of the food was at least on a par with Gleneagles, but if you are looking for the whole experience, I know which one I would return to.

EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review - we fully take on board your comments and will continually strive to improve our offering.

The Team at Mar Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Mar Hall for our wedding anniversary. The welcome we got from staff on arrival was exceptional. Our room was very comfortable and the meal we had in the Crystal restaurant was great.
Looking forward to our next anniversary as we will be back!!

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Greig

We are very pleased that we could be a part of your special occasion and we look forward to welcoming you back next year, if not before.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Myself and my wife recently had our 25th wedding anniversary lunch at the Mar Hall Hotel. I would just like to give a big Thank You to everyone who was involved in making the day fantastic and very memorable. All of my guests and there were around 35 of us all commented on how great the day was and of the service we got from start to finish. The food and drink was just excellent, honestly I could not fault one thing. We will as I'm sure everyone who was with us be back again at some point, for a spa day or an overnight stay or attending or having a function.

Anyone who is reading this will be thinking of having some sort of plans to go to the Mar Hall because that is why your reading the reviews, believe me go and you will love it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Congratulations again on your anniversary! We are thrilled that your event was enjoyable for all - it was a pleasure and a privilege to host yourself, your wife and your guests, and it makes all our hard work behind the scenes worthwhile knowing that we helped to make your your special day memorable.

Thank you for your recommendation our venue and we look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Our warmest regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited mar hall for dinner. We both opted for the set menu £35 for three courses. The food was amazing everything was cooked to perfection and the presentation was spectacular. The drinks are a little over priced but it was to be expected given the venue. All the staff were very friendly and attentive. After dinner we were led in to the lobby where there was a piano player it was a lovely, chilled out atmosphere. We were definitely well looked after and I wouldn't hesitate to visit again next time my boyfriends paying!! And massive compliments to both chef's John and Eric :)

EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review - I'll be sure to pass on your compliments to the chefs. We hope your boyfriend treats you again soon :-)

stevenston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay at Mar Hall, Bishopton after booking an ITISON offer some time ago. Such good value for money, think I paid around £150 for overnight which included deluxe room, dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. From calling to make a reservation through to checking-out every staff member we encountered were very welcoming and professional. Cannot comment on the rooms in the main building but the room allocated to us in the Spa part of the building was fabulous - huge room, lovely bathroom amazing view and very clean (only minor gripe was the zip and link bed - 2 singles made up as a double!! ). Being next to the spa was so handy to use the facilities - pool was amazing with steam room and sauna and very quiet, especially early Sat morning got the pool all to myself : ) Meal in the Crystal restaurant was fabulous - we opted to upgrade to Chateaubriand which was worth every penny of the £20 and was carved very professionally by a lovely young waiter at our table. Some reviews say the hotel is getting shabby, personally I didn't see that, it is a beautiful old building with loads of character. Myself and my husband don't get the chance to go many overseas holidays a year but we do take a lot of overnights at 5 star hotels not too far from us e.g.Glasgow, Edinburgh and I can honestly say we will be back in the very near future. .

Room Tip: rooms next to the spa lovely and very handy for using facilities as you can just walk along the corr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
We make every effort to ensure that our guests have the best possible experience throughout and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Had an overnight stay in Mar Hall and everything was flawless. Room, staff and food were outstanding. Already booked to have my wedding there and I am now even more excited to have all my family and friends there.

• Stayed November 2013
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Laura

We are thrilled that you had enjoyed your stay and are very much looking forward to welcoming your friends and family on your big day.

Bushey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We have had a fabulous mini moon in Scotland. This is partly due to the warm welcome & treatment we had at Mar Hall.
It was luxury from the spa and the food to the toiletries and the scenery. The restaurant was delicious & over our 2 days I could feel myself really unwinding. This was also helped by good access to Loch Lomand & Glasgow.

EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and we are so glad that we were able to be a part of your minimoon and make it enjoyable and memorable for you both!

The Team at Mar Hall

Been to Mar Hall? Share your experiences!