“Real treat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bishopton
Perth, Scotland
“Real treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Hi we stayed here recently and bought on itison deal, what a super place super big rooms, beautiful setting, very relaxed and friendly attentive staff thoroughly enjoyed our stay great food also and defo plan to go back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Had another great overnight stay at Mar Hall with my daughter Christmas present to her from me for being a great daughter & friend. We had Sunday Lunch which was excellent - great service great food could not fault anything. Room was large and very comfortable beds we both had a great nights sleep. In the evening in the grand hall there was a duo singing and they were really really good this was a nice touch while we were sitting have a light snack and a drink to finish of our night. Unlike another review we had breakfast and once again could not fault it. A great selection of food including porridge, haggis, black pudding & potato scones very Scottish and a great touch and all cooked really nicely. The only down side was we had booked dinner in the new Italian restaurant on site and when we arrived we were told it was closed for maintenance and our booking had been moved to the main restaurant (were we had lunch) we were very disappointed as we did not want to eat in the same place twice in the one day. I feel that the Hotel could have contacted us before our arrival and we could have made our own alternative arrangements. We also had a 20% discount that we were using which was up that week and therefore would not be of use. Unusually I felt that the reception staff did not really care about our dinner situation and it was a case of take it or leave it this is what has happened. It will not put me off the Hotel and I will be back. Its just that you feel for a five star establishment like Mar Hall the service would be impeccable. Saying that the porter (did not get his name) was fantastic nothing was to much and he was so friendly - well done.

Room Tip: Rooms in main hotel are great and all different - they have deluxe split level rooms with a sitting...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had a surprise visit to Mar Hall for afternoon tea for my 21st Birthday with my mum.
Food was lovely however service was very poor.
Nobody was there to tell us where to go, when asked we were told that "someone would be with us shortly" after asking a second person he turned to the nearest table and said "just sit there". We had to ask again for service once a waitor appeared. It was very relaxing and the old features that have been kept are beautiful. The ladies toilet was disappointing for such an old, beautiful building. Was a lovely afternoon but overall very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was my second stay at Mar Hall and I felt like Lady Mary at Downton Abbey! So romantic -too bad it was a business trip! The building is magnificent on the outside overlooking the river valley and the hills rising across the river dotted with sheep.The outside does resemble a small castle or manor house. My room inside was a two story loft with a living area up top with a comfortable sofa, a table and chairs and an armoire with TV and bar area. Down the stairs was a comfy bed in all white down linens and a large bath with sunken tub and separate shower. The tub was just lovely for taking long bubble baths while listening to the wild winds blow outside. The room was immaculate and comfortable. There was one light in the bathroom that wasn't working and the steps were a bit difficult to navigate with a big suitcase. There were also no outlets near a mirror making it hard to do hair for ladies. Other than those small inconveniences the stay was wonderful and the staff lovely especially the gentleman who helped me backs into my safe when I couldn't get it open. The fireplace in the lobby and in the bar area are nice touches on a cold winter evening. The hotel arranged for Scottish Country dancing for our group and it was by far the most fun team building activity I have ever participated in. This is just a lovely spot, a lovely staff and lovely comfortable luxurious rooms and baths. If you ever dreamed of being a Scottish Laird or Lady, this is the place for you! Enjoy

Room Tip: If stairs are difficult for you ask for a suite with one story. If you like having separate sitting...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Visiting a five star resort like Mar Hall with all the top of the range cars in the car park can some times feel a bit daunting but not Mar Hall. Nothing pretentious about it at all. We were using a gift voucher given to my husband for his birthday last year and it took me some months to use it as I always felt it would be the kind of place I would feel out of place in. Don't get me wrong I have stayed in some top notch places throughout the world including the New York Palace, Towers Suites no less, and the Atlantis in the Bahamas. It is something this standard close to home just made me feel uneasy visiting. Anyway I should have got over myself long ago and got it booked as it was totally opposite of what I thought and I can only say it was solely down to the staff who were lovely. They made you feel very welcome and it is to their credit that everyone seemed to get the same treatment. (Read my review on the Seafire Restaurant in the Atlantis Resort to understand what I mean). The food was excellent and the rooms very comfortable and huge. Only thing is because its an old building renovated it was a bit draughty. The leisure centre is nice, clean and fresh with a pool and sauna and steam room. Although when we went down the beds were all full so we didn't stay and be prepare for long walk through many corridors before coming to it. The spa was ok but I visit Stobo Castle at least once a year and it kind of spoils you for any other spa. I did have a look at the spa lunch and it wasn't too exciting compared to what you have in the main hotel. All in all well worth a visit and the views are the best you will see anywhere in the world right on my own doorstep as well. The afternoon tea looked delicious but we had just had lunch but I am most definitely going to book again for afternoon tea soon. I did ask about Easter lunch but no one seemed to know if there was any special menu, they did say they didn't get told to nearer the time but it was only 3 weeks away and I didn't want to book not knowing what was on for Easter. All in all I would jump at the chance of dining or staying at Mar Hall so if you see any deals grab them and get going.

Room Tip: We stayed in a classic room which is the cheapest but no need to upgrade as the standard of this is...
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night.the hotel is stunning overlooking the golf course and out onto the kilpatrick hills.Afternoon tea and breakfast were amazing but we must recommend that you try the ll posto ristorante,the food & service was of the highest standard.
From the booking experience to the checkout,every member of staff were a joy to deal with.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Visiting a five star resort like Mar Hall with all the top of the range cars in the car park can some times feel a bit daunting but not Mar Hall. Nothing pretentious about it at all. We were using a gift voucher given to my husband for his birthday last year and it took me some months to use it as I always felt it would be the kind of place I would feel out of place in. Don't get me wrong I have stayed in some top notch places throughout the world including the New York Palace, Towers Suites no less, and the Atlantis in the Bahamas. It is something this standard close to home just made me feel uneasy visiting. Anyway I should have got over myself long ago and got it booked as it was totally opposite of what I thought and I can only say it was solely down to the staff who were lovely. They made you feel very welcome and it is to their credit that everyone seemed to get the same treatment. The food was excellent and the rooms very comfortable and huge. Only thing is because its an old building renovated it was a bit draughty. The leisure centre is nice, clean and fresh with a pool and sauna and steam room. Although when we went down the beds were all full so we didn't stay. All in all well worth a visit and the views are the best you will see anywhere in the world right on my own doorstep as well. The afternoon tea looked delicious but we had just had lunch but I am most definitely going to book again for afternoon tea soon.

Room Tip: We were in a classic room which was more than adequate size so go for cheaper room to let you get an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, General Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
What lovely feedback! So glad to hear we ticked all the boxes for you during your stay. As you discovered, our team are a lovely bunch, who aim to be attentive towards guests without being intrusive. They really do go the extra mile to make your visit at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort extra special, so I am delighted to read that you appreciated their efforts.

The layout and décor of all our rooms have been carefully considered, and every room and suite has been individually designed. I am pleased to read that we came up trumps on this front for you!

We look forward to welcoming you back for afternoon tea soon!

Kind Regards,
Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Been to Mar Hall? Share your experiences!