“My favourite place in Britain” 5 of 5 stars

Mar Hall
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Earl of Mar Estate, Bishopton PA7 5NW, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bishopton
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“My favourite place in Britain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is the second year we have stayed at Mar Hall for my birthday. I can honestly say it just gets better with every visit. It's a truly stunning hotel, with beautifully manicured gardens. As luck would have it it snowed on our way to the hotel and this just added to the view from our deluxe room. We loved the sash windows, the four poster bed, the massive bath. The rooms and hotel itself were lovely and warm even although it was very cold outside. The afternoon tea in the main hall was fantastic and dinner in Cristal's was fabulous again. It's like stepping back in time and living my very own Downton Abbey experience. Lastly I cannot praise the staff enough. Every single person we spoke to were exceptionally friendly, chatty and helpful. I can only imagine that going to work at such a beautiful hotel is what keeps them so happy. If things continue as they are, I will go back to Mar Hall for my birthday every single year for the rest of my life.

EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
A truly wonderful testimonial! Thank you so much for your kind words – we endeavour to provide each guest with personalised yet discreet top-quality service, and are fortunate to have such breath-taking grounds and interiors.

We hope to have the chance to celebrate your birthday again next year with you!

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Dunbar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

A genuine 5 star hotel with friendly, efficient SCOTTISH staff - It really does make a huge difference!! The hotel is visually stunning with the beautiful vaulted ceilings and original features, every area is lavishly furnished and the Grand Hall itself was spectacular. It was really lovely to sit there in the evening and listen to the grand piano being played and Rabbie Burns being sung (we stayed on Burns night!).

We had upgraded to a Junior Suite which was huge and beautifully decorated with a very comfortable four poster bed and stunning views over the Clyde, the bathroom was also gorgeous with twin sinks, big deep bath and great shower - lovely fluffy towels and bathrobe. Only little gripes is that the room was a bit too warm at night and there was no mini-bar price list!! ;-)

We dined in the on site Italian restaraunt and the food was delicious, fresh and filling. As a vegetarian it was nice to have more than one option on the menu and not to left wanting for flavour!!
Breakfast was fantastic - hot and cold buffet which was constantly refreshed/ replenished, (not your usual lukewarm offerings that have sat out half the morning!) very attentive waiting staff and spotless tables.

We had a bit of an issue when it came to checking out as we had agreed a ' special' upgrade price over the phone prior to our arrival which somehow managed to almost double in price when the bill was presented. However after a talk with the manager ( in which he described a misunderstanding which I would more readily describe as misleading!) he amended our bill and made sure we were happy with everything else. Bills in EVERY hotel should be closely checked!!

Before leaving we went for a sauna and swim which was - once again - fantastic. Warm, clean, stylish,spotless facilities, very friendly staff. Unfortunately we had to cut our swim short as they had an issue with the chlorine levels in the pool, however they were very apologetic and well these things happen!!

I can honestly say that this hotel comes highly recommended. We were treated faultlessly throughout our stay despite it being an 'itison deal' and having stayed previously in Hilton and Radisson hotels the Mar Hall outshines them all in every way.

EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
What a lovely review! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Burns Night stay here with us at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. The beautiful 240 acre woodland estate in which we are nestled provides an element of unrivalled tranquillity for guests seeking a luxurious escape from the city.

Mar Hall’s centrepiece, the main baronial mansion, was designed in the 19th century by Sir Robert Smirke. Smirke’s goal was to echo the manorial, domestic gothic style which was popular during the reign of Queen Elizabeth the First – the end result really is something special.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced at check-out, but am pleased to read that our Manager was able to swiftly resolve this for you. Please be assured that the temperature in the rooms is something we are working hard to regulate over the winter months. You ought to have received a mini-bar price list in your room – I have now brought this to the attention of house-keeping.

All in all, I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

Haste ye back!

glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I went to Mar Hall for dinner to meet my in laws who were staying at the hotel. As it was a big birthday for my mother in law I had organised champagne to be left in the room for their arrival and also asked if I could put some balloons and cards in the room as a surprise. The staff could not have been more accommodating and the end result was a very surprised and happy mother in law. Dinner was delicious and the waiting staff outstanding. Mar Hall is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Go for deluxe
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Mar Hall Hotel is a beautiful 15th Century Mansion House which underwent a massive renovation in 2004. We were in a lovely Junior Suite overlooking the golf course and the river. Dinner & Breakfast was amazing and they catered excellently for my gluten free dietary requirement without fuss. We had afternoon tea on the day we arrived and they had gluten free scones available for me - this is impressive. One night is just not enough in this beautiful Mansion. We will definitely be back in better weather to stay over and hopefully play the golf course. My only complaint was the Great Hall where drinks and afternoon tea is served was quite cold as some of the outside doors didn't close properly and it was very cold outside. This aside I would thoroughly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: It's worth asking for a room overlooking the golf course and river. The views are stunning.
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

we had an overnight stay on the 14th jan 2013 and had a fab time and made very welcome by the easy going staff and they catered for your every need.our bedroom was large and comfortable and we used the 20 metre pool and sauna. now let me tell you about the food,dinner was superb and i can still taste that succulent duck even now and breakfast was as expected ,a varied choice of hot and cold food that set you up for the trip home. i always wanted to try mar hall and it lived up to my expectations.tommy k

Room Tip: dont take room 19 as it looks over the car park,if you can get a room with the superb views it will...
Galashiels, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Let me start by saying, this is a lovely welcoming hotel and it would have recieved a five start review if not for the admin problems which led to our stay not going as smoothly as it could have done.

We booked via the hotel's own website where we had the option to add dinner for £35pp, which we did. The booking was to celebrate my birthday and so on the booking a request was made to have a table reserved for 8.30pm. A confirmation email came back confirming our booking.

On arrival, there was no history of our booking, luckily as it was 8pm, they did have a room available for us. Alexander the Hotel Manager was most apologetic, we were told the main dining room was very busy and booked until after 9pm (no record of reservation/no table reservation) Alexander recommended their Italian restaurant, Il Posto. We decided to eat there.

We were shown to our room which was clean, comfortable and adequate with lovely views of the river and Kilpatrick hills, but since we were not on the house keeping list because of the reservation problem, we did not receive turn down service; this was a big disappointment for my chocolate mad husband!

We went for dinner to Il Posto and I could not fault the staff or the food, it was lovely, my only moan was there was no heating in the ladies toilet and on a cold January night, it was damp with fogged up mirrors and you could see your breath in the air.

Back up to the Grand Hall for an after dinner drink, which was served quickly. Then back to the room which was cold, the radiators were not on. Climbed into bed to warm up and awoke in the middle of the night to sweltering heat, no happy medium.

Breakfast was great, a wee wait in the Grand Hall while we waited for a table but there was coffee, tea and juice available.

Check out was a bit of nightmare, it took almost 20 mins, we had to be into Glasgow for 12.30 and so weren’t able to resolve the fact we had pre paid £70 for dinner and only spent £40, however after a quick email to Alexander this was resolved and a refund sent.

We did not use any of the facilities as we didn’t have time but would like to return without the accompanying admin chaos.

EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Firstly, I would like to apologise about the problems created by a blip in our online booking system. Our system is usually pretty infallible, and I am incredibly sorry that it failed on this occasion. So unusual; our online booking team have been alerted to keep an eye out for potential issues, and will continue to check the system regularly.

I am delighted that you were pleased with your room. The views over the River Clyde and Kilpatrick Hills truly are breathtaking. I apologise that you did not receive turn-down service – the necessity for this ought to have been communicated to house-keeping when you were checked into the room.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed a delicious meal and flawless service in our Il Posto Restaurant for your birthday dinner. Our chefs pride themselves on creating classic yet unique dishes, and there is cuisine to suit every palate.

I have taken on board your comment about the temperature in the ladies toilet – I completely understand, there is nothing worse than going into a chilly bathroom. I have already passed this point to our maintenance team, who are arranging for heating to be provided in here.

I apologise about the temperature issue in your room – this is a recurring problem we are working hard to resolve. In such an old large building, achieving optimum temperature is difficult, though we are dedicated to sorting it out, as guest comfort is absolutely paramount.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you experienced at check-out, but am pleased to read that Alexander has already resolved this for you

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort has a reputation as a relaxing and comfortable luxury hotel, providing top-class customer service. I can assure you that your next visit will be just that. Many thanks again for your constructive comments.

Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Usually big fans of Mar Hall BUT our last visit was slightly lackluster compared to our previous experiences this was mainly due to an itison voucher being on and the fact that they were very busy. 4 of our friends were staying at the hotel and we joined them for dinner. We were only offered the set itison menu and not the full a la carte, this was fine as the menu looked rather nice but not really the point. The waitress on being asked her opinion on the starters looked rather blankly at us and had no thoughts. We had to ask twice for the wine list, this arrived after we had given our food order. I asked for brown bread to be told there wasn't any. Brown bread had been served with the prawns for one of our tables starter, on pointing this out to the waitress she then went off to get a plate loaded up with buttered bread cut in to 1/4s with bits of prawn stuck underneath - obviously stolen from the top of the prawn cocktail, smelt rather fishy, not ideal. It wasn't eaten. I asked for my steak to come without mushrooms. It arrived with mushrooms with the steak placed on top so the steak when it was returned to me still tasted of mushrooms, I really don't like mushrooms. Listen to me whine! Anyway, my point is a place of this caliber should be getting these things right! The puddings arrived and it was our friend's birthday, her plate came out with happy birthday on it and the full restaurant sang happy birthday, very nice touch. When we went to leave there was a complete faff with the bill. All in all a nice night, due to company and surroundings BUT Mar Hall wasn't prepared in a polished way to cope with a full Saturday dining room and they are meant to be a 5 star hotel. Our friends that were staying said they had the worst nights sleep due to the rooms being like a furnace. Housekeeping should be keeping an eye on the weather reports and organise the hotels heating accordingly. In my opinion Mar Hall need to train their staff better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Many thanks for providing such a comprehensive review about your experience here at Mar Hall. As a repeat guest, it is especially disappointing to read your account of dinner service. I apologise about the service you received from your waitress – this is indeed well below par, and very surprising. We pride ourselves on our energetic, discreet and conscientious staff, and I am so sorry that we let you down on this front. This will be raised in my next meeting with the Restaurant Manager.

I do hope you will give us another chance to show you that we are still the five star establishment you know and love.

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Been to Mar Hall? Share your experiences!