“Friendly, well organised and plenty to do.” 4 of 5 stars

Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Ferntower Road, Crieff PH7 3LQ, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Crieff
Greenock, Scotland
“Friendly, well organised and plenty to do.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Just back, the rooms are clean, well stocked with comfy beds. There is an abundance of staff who are all lovely and helpful plus they actually smile!
Despite the weather we had a great time. Best beef stew ever. All food was excellent. Only criticism, the lifts are shabby and it's easy to get lost but I nitpick! Will go back in better weather hopefully.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Crieff_Hydr0, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
We all felt great after reading your stellar review, katethegreat10! Thank you. The Executive Chef was really chuffed to read how much you enjoyed his Beef Stew. We've spruce up the lifts following your feedback and we're delighted to hear that you're already planning a return stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

As a regular visitor to Crieff Hydro over the last 3-4 years, here is a review of our latest visit.

We arrived at our usual time of 12.30pm to give the kids a packed lunch before sending them into The Big Country Kids Club. We booked in and were told our self catering lodge wasn't ready. No real problem, kids were occupied, my wife and I headed to the Brasserie for lunch. Having critised The Brasserie in previous reviews I am pleased to say that it has got its mojo back. The menu has changed, variety of food has increased, Staff interact with guests and a good meal was had. Only downside.... prices have gone up again!! £7 plus for 250ml of House red wine!
After lunch we returned to reception about 15.00 to be told our lodge was still not ready. We were promised it would be ready by check in time of 16.00. We wandered down to our lodge at 15.30 to find it hadn't yet been started. Not good as we had Tesco booked with the food for our stay. Headed back up to reception who allowed us access to the uncleaned lodge to put the frozen food in the freezer. Was informed by reception that lodge would now be ready about 17.00. Asked to speak to duty manager, who arrived soon after. A financial solution along with refreshments were offered and dually accepted. Lodge was finally ready just after 17.00.
Day two, Kids into Big Country for two sessions, lunch for two up at the Clubhouse by the Adventure / Outdoor Centre. A change of staff since our last visit, however food still good value and drinks cheaper.
Day three, Kids into Big Country for two sessions, then an evening meal for two at Piccolo Italian Style Restaurant at The Brasserie. What a revelation. This was the best meal I have had at Crieff Hydro in all my visits. There is an open plan kitchen with two hard working chefs, three serving staff who were enjoying their jobs. The pizzas are to die for.
Final day, kids again to kids club and a second lunch at the Brasserie. Delicious food and good attentive staff, followed by a Hot stone Massage at the Spa.

To sum up, Big Country, Piccolo Restaurant, The Brasserie and The Hot Stone Massage are the bees knees! A big thank you to all staff in the above for a good holiday experience. We look forward to our next visit in October.

Room Tip: If travelling with kids, Book The Big Country Kids Club before you arrive to make sure your kids get...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
It's always appreciated when a regular guest takes time to post such a constructive review, 04edc. We'll celebrate the successful parts of your stay then address the areas where you've indicated there's room for improvement. Hope you'll notice the positive changes when you return in October.
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had a lovely break at Creiff Hydro hotel. We stayed in the main hotel. Great facilites for young kids and although there is alot for older more active kids, its all additional in price and starts to bump up the bill. For younger kids, the Big Country is the best asset. Included in the price and my two really enjoyed it. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The food was lovely. The childrens high tea menu needs to be a bit more child friendly. Delighted that in the Dinner bed and breakfast package the kids get a packed lunch too! and with a healthy snack extras in the bag, not filled with sweets and chisps thank goodness! Although, if you want brown bread yo have to order it, in the morning. The swimming pool is lovely and warm with family changing rooms.
We had rain for a whole visit but still managed to be stuck for activities for the kids.

Room Tip: Phone to book the room. We got it cheaper than on the web and the web is misleading with its discrip...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
We were 'cock-a-hoop' with your top-score review, Margaret N - especially the BIG Country team. Thank you! It's lovely to hear that your family break was so enjoyable. Here's hoping that the sun will shine on your next visit, so you can all make the most of our 60 outdoor activities.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We went to Crieff Hydro with my mum & dad, brother & wife for 3 night weekend package which included dinner, bed & breakfast for 2 nights, bed & breakfast the third and a lunch. All meals were lovely although the kids menu is limited. The amenities within the hotel were fantastic, especially the pool. My children, age 3 and 1, had a great time. The kids club was really good and my eldest enjoyed the park outside.

My only complaint was our room (5&7) was above the function suite which had a wedding on the Saturday night and we cod clearly hear the music right through until midnight which made settling the children difficult as well as getting sleep myself before that time.

On the whole, our trip to Crieff Hydro was fantastic and I plan to go back in the future.

Stayed February 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed for two nights last year with our one year old son. Lots of activities to do and my husband particularly enjoyed the Segway racing. Loved the pool too and there was lots of things to wander around and do. As we hasn't ore booked, I couldn't get into the spa so I would recommend booking activities in advance next time. Food was generally of a high standard. As we booked late we were in the room above the ceilidh so it was very loud so something to think about if you have young children who are light sleepers. (Thankfully my son is a good sleeper) My only complaint was that the room was tired looking and definitely in need of a refurb.

• Stayed October 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Hi all. Our party of 4 arrived on 23rd February at the Crieff Hydro and had two generously sized rooms. We were amazed by the size and facilities that the hotel has to offer, and to be honest I spent time wondering how I would write a review to some up this "5 star hotel".

The design of the hotel, snooker rooms, leisure facilities, restaurants,high spec rooms, friendly staff - the list goes on about what is great about this hotel, not to mention the Victorian Spa which was not bad.

BUT ask yourself this question - why do you stay at a hotel? Why do you spend over £100 on the room alone for a nights stay? For a relaxing and good nights sleep, right?

So here's the bombshell which opened our eyes as to what really makes this hotel such a "reputable" one.

At approximately 3:00 am, after watching a movie about Saddam Hussain on the TV in our room (which consisted of a king size bed and a single), my uncle who was staying in my room decided to go to sleep. He opens the covers and enters his duvet…

THEN

He turns to me and says : "This is strange, my bed is wet!"

No, it wasn't water nor was it tea. Nor was it a leaking ceiling or as I asked him, "Is it a water bed?". After my hysterics even as I write this now, let's get straight to the point, the very serious point :

**SOMEONE HAD URINATED IN THE BED THE NIGHT BEFORE, AND THE HOTEL FAILED TO CHANGE THE SHEETS OR REPLACE THE MATTRESS DURING CLEANING!**

After our gruesome discovery (photos attached), we phoned reception and the manager sent along a worker to assess the damage. Forget the covers, forget the mattress protector, forget the mattress itself! The urine had sunk to the base of the bed! We were shocked and disgusted, and for my uncle it was as you could imagine a very sleepless and anxious night.

My uncle rarely stays at hotels as he suffers from OCD and takes hygiene very seriously, and my mother and I brought him and my disabled gran for a stress-free break and to enjoy a night in a "top" hotel in Scotland, well so we thought.

We were given another room though really, can this compensate what we were put through and walking about in our pyjamas, well what was left of my uncles anyway, we ended up carrying our luggage around the Crieff Hydro at 4:00am and tried to get some sleep.

We didn't get any sleep in our cold room, and after the average breakfast (extremely busy, greasy scones, egg like rubber and cold tea) we spoke to the manager who was awaiting our meeting at reception. During our consultation, we explained what happened and the manager agreed he was in shock about our evenings events. Along with apologies we were offered a refund, though I also asked for the Chief Executive to be notified and for vouchers for a future stay.

Why? Because this really is a nice hotel and if such an event didn't happen, I would have felt even better about raving on about how amazing it was to my friends all over the world (until 3:00 am on the 24 February). The hotel has a lot to offer along with great customer service and facilities, but not much else really. Yes it is set in 990 acres of ground and Yes it has a golf course and Yes it has tennis courts and a weights gym (okay I sound like a Scottish MP going on about Independence) but what we found was there wasn't much of a friendly atmosphere towards us in terms of the residents.

I refer back to the movie we watched before our horror find in room 001 on Sunday night, it was about Saddam Hussain and how terrible his children were before they were murdered. Maybe most of the hotel was watching this too as everywhere me and my Pakistani family walked we were looked at differently, as if we were aliens at times. It was almost as if "How did they get a night in this hotel?" and I will be honest I have never experienced such an unwanted presence around a hotel especially when using the leisure facilities.

Such a shame, we really thought we'd got a great deal and would have an enjoyable stay at the Hydro. We did enjoy some activities with our relatives who were also residents in a separate room in the hotel and we would probably go back - assuring we check the mattresses first with cleaning gloves. I am waiting to hear back from the Chief Executive regarding our stay.

Thank you for taking time out to read about our stay at Crieff Hydro.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
We were very shocked by your review Celtic1994. A thorough investigation has confirmed that our room attendant placed an ice bucket on the bed during the room service, which had leaked unnoticed. There was absolutely no odour or staining, so it's with great relief that we can guarantee the liquid was water. We're so sorry for the upset caused and understand that our Duty Host was able to make amends. Having welcomed guests from every corner of the globe to the Hydro, your 'alien' comment has left us feeling very perplexed. However it's reassuring that you intend to return someday, when we're confident that your next visit will be perfect in all respects.
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel on two previous occasions, we were somewhat looking forward to returning for a welcome break.
Our first disappointment was when we as a family became unwell, on the few days leading up to our stay. We called the hotel to enquire about rescheduling our date to be informed that the package we had chosen did not allow for this, and were advised to either claim our holiday insurance (who takes out insurance for a two night local stay?) or to attempt to sell the £500+ for two nights stay onto someone else at short notice.
Rather than forfeit our money we decided on the Friday am that we would head off and attempt to enjoy our stay.
On the drive through we called to book a table for dinner, and were informed that it was a busy weekend and most restaurants were pretty much already fully booked. We were also informed that the 'free' childcare facility within the Big Country kids area was also fully booked for both the Fri and Sat evenings! Not a great start...
We took our son along to the Meikle restaurant, for his evening meal, which is now where the kids high tea is served, and were somewhat disappointed by the limited choice on offer. The choices have reduced dramatically, which doesn't make it easy when you already have a fussy/allergen prone 4 year old child. The Heinz Tomato Soup that was on offer was the saving of the day.
My husband and I ate at the Brasserie for dinner, you wouldn't think you could go wrong with a Beetroot + Goats Cheese Salad, lo and behold I was served a Pear salad. When queried, I was informed there'd been some recent changes to the menu and that's what had caused the confusion, in fairness to the restaurant the cost of the salad would not be added to our bill. For my main I ordered the Chicken with crushed potatoes - this had to be returned to the kitchen as the mushrooms and potatoes were stone cold, albeit the chicken was served hot. The cost of this dish was also not added to our bill.
We were out and about on the Saturday and so collected the packed lunch for our son, a cold meat sandwich was ordered and we were given a cheese sandwich, we decided to go with that one until we unwrapped it and the bread was hard, so off we went back to return it for a fresh breaded sandwich.
We attempted to return to the Meikle restaurant on the Saturday evening with our son to be told by him that he didn't want to go as the food was rubbish, I had to agree! So off we all went to the Piccolo Italian Restaurant with high hopes... I ordered a 'Hot' smoked salmon as a starter, rather misleading, as it was served cold. When queried, the waitress assured me it was named after the method in the way it had been smoked, however, it certainly didn't taste smoked, more of a sweet/flaked salmon.
We ordered pizza for our son from the kids menu, when the bill arrived we'd been charged for an adults pizza, this was rectified when highlighted...
I have to say my Lasagne was tasty and so was my Parmesan salad that I'd ordered to have with it.
Breakfast on both days was good and a varied choice, however little things like no butter on the table, and providing your toast and coffee when you've already finished your breakfast, is somewhat annoying, even after chasing it up 3 times to be repeatedly told it's on it's way... as is Christmas.....
We stayed in Room 263, which is in need of an upgrade, the walls within the kids sleeping area is in very poor condition, with shabby and torn looking walls. The bed within the room was really hard, and we have both returned home with sore backs. For a room of this cost we would have expected some home comforts, such as comfy chairs or a couch but the room was very minimalist with only a single chair between us.
We had pre-booked dinner, bed and breakfast, so in actual fact when we'd been informed we wouldn't be charged for my meal on the Friday evening from the Brasserie, we had actually already paid it, £21.50 towards the cost of it anyway.
Despite the hotel advertising free wifi, we were never once able to connect to the service, which is annoying as 3g is a hit or a miss depending on what area of the hotel you're in.
Given the cost of this stay and added cost of amenities, suffice to say that we are extremely disappointed by this stay.
On our last visit we had completed the feedback form, highlighting a complaint about the heat within our room (we believe it was above the kitchens?) and was ridiculously warm despite leaving the windows open, and didn't receive a response to it, so not quite sure what to expect of this! I dare say, since this review has public access it will probably be met with a more professional approach than our last review/feedback.
On a more positive note the staff within the bar adjacent to the Meikle restaurant are all courteous and I can highly recommend the French Martini's. The Big Country staff are accommodating and are responsible for informing us of the need to pre-book Big Country sessions at time of booking your stay (which was news to us).
It's a fantastic concept, if only they could get it right. Will we rush back for a 4th visit? Based on this experience, I very much doubt it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!