“Can thoroughly recommend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Crieff
Manchester
“Can thoroughly recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I knew Hydro was 'posh' but wasn't sure what to expect. I had booked a single room for 3 nights. As I parked the car a member of staff came up and asked if he could help me with my bags. It carried on like that. The staff were fantastic - friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. I had actually only booked three nights but realised that I needed to stay on the Friday night too. The single room I was staying in wasn't available so, for no extra cost, I was booked into an executive suite for the final night.

I would have given an 'excellent' but, horror of horrors, there was no Earl Grey teabags in the rooms. I was told that Earl Grey was only available from the café and I would have to pay. I had to go and buy my own, which wasn't a problem, but I think that a four star hotel should be able to offer Earl Grey tea in this day and age.

However, I would thoroughly recommend the Hydro and have been extolling its virtues to my friends. All this reminds me, I need to go and book for the 8th July. Better go and do that now.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
We were delighted when you extended your stay, Maalie and really pleased to upgrade your room. Great to hear you'll be returning on 8th July - we'll check out the provision of Earl Grey teabags in our bedrooms ahead of your return stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Recently visited The Crieff Hydro along with a friend for a relaxing Spa day and afternoon tea and found it to be a very enjoyable experience.

On attending at the spa reception staff were friendly and welcoming, we were provided with robes and slippers as well as a goody bag and biscuits, very nice touch! We used the Victorian Spa which was located privately away from the main pool area. The Victorian Spa includes its own private pool, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and loungers the changing rooms were clean and well looked after and complimentary cordial drinks were provided. The spa wasn't too crowded and all the facilities could be used with ease.

After a couple of hours using the spa we moved on to the beauty rooms were both my friend and I received 30 minute facials. Again the staff were friendly and fully explained everything. The beauty rooms were very luxurious and clean and the facials were amazing. Having had our treatments the therapists gave us a full run down of what products were used and we had the opportunity to buy the products. My friend and I left nearly £200 lighter having bought a number of products. Thereafter we were shown to the relaxation room were we received complimentary hot chocolates and biscuits.

Shortly thereafter we made our way to one of the restaurants for afternoon tea, the restaurant was very nice with views of the hotel grounds. Afternoon Tea was very impressive with a selection of well prepared sandwiches consisting of salmon, chicken, cucumber and egg mayo. Cakes included chocolate brownies, eclairs, fruit slices and scones, very delicious and plentiful. There was the option of tea or coffee and we also had a glass of rose wine each which was at an extra cost.

Didn't stay over but all in all a very pleasant experience and I would definitely recommend a spa break at this hotel. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Have a Yummy Mummy Facial..... Fab
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
It was kind of you to take time to post such a wonderful review Jacqui270Glasgow. We're all thrilled that your Spa Day was so blissful and hope that you'll return for a longer stay next time.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit here and I can't fault it. The staff were warm and friendly and seemed genuinely interested in you having a great time. The room was a standard family room and was a very high standard, clean and the view was great even though we have a side room. The overall countryside and views are stunning.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Your brilliant review and top score rating made for lots of happy staff at the Hydro Kincess! It's always lovely to receive a compliment and we all felt very proud to have made you feel so welcome. Hope you'll be back to see us all soon.
South Lanarkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Crieff Hydro Hotel. I was impressed by the size of the hotel including the grounds which were highly maintained. The check in was ok but I felt some details were not shared with us for example what time breakfast was being served the following morning, we were handed a map of the hotel and some leaflets with information on the surrounded area. We stayed in an exetutive room which was very clean and to a high standard, we also had a nice view.

We explored the area and went for a nice walk in the Victorian Garden and around the hotel. In regards to facilities I was booked in for a full body massage and facial, I had two different members of staff for this and both were very professional and spent time going over skin products etc before starting. We used the main spa facilities including pool, jacuzzi and sauna, at times this can be busy with families we therefore paid extra to go to into the Victorian Spa which is for adults only and both felt this was worth the extra. Once paying for this you recieve a small bag with some spa products, once at the spa the facilities are more plush than the standard one, more peacefull and relaxing.

At night we ate at the Brasserie, I personally feel that the food is quite expensive, my partner is not keen on fancy food and ordered just plain ice cream for dessert which cost £4.95 for 3 small scoops. Overall food is ok though. For breakfast we ate at the Meile restaurant, this is a lovely restauarnt and the breakfast had something to cater everyone from the full scottish breakfast to fruit, cereal and yoghurts. We liked the winter garden room, lovely views and relaxed area.

So would I come back here - the answer is yes - good service, clean, lovely surrounding area, I would recommend for couples and families alike, there is loads to do, food is nice as long as you are not to picky! Bed was comfortable, had a good nights sleep, my favourite part of the hotel was the Victorian Spa and booking in for a massage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We're delighted that your Birthday celebration stay went well in the main Sanantha1983. We'll give ourselves a pat on the back for the successful parts, then look at the areas which fell short. Hope to see you again soon, when we'll be aiming for top marks.
Ardrishaig
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here in one of the lodges for a weekend Friday to Monday.my daughters wedding day was on th Saturday 8th June.The whole wedding was here. I cannot fault any of the staff at any point that myself or our guests encountered. Everyone was pleasent, friendly and courteous at all times.The wedding breakfast was excellent. The feed back to ourselves and my daughter and her new husband from family and friends regarding the whole venue, food drink restaurant and bars.Has been nothing but positive,Everyone commented on how clean the public areas and toilets were.!Family and Guest stayed in varying accommodation rooms and lodges from 1/3 nights and I have heard nothing but rave reviews from all.I cannot rate this hotel and staff enough. Tryly was a day and weekend I will never forget. Will certainly come back.special thank you to the wedding co ordinators on the day. You made he day stress free and my daughter was well looked after. Thank you mr weldon

Room Tip: Lodges are superb and inexpensive for what you get.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
We just couldn't ask for a finer review, MarkwArdrishaig. Thank you. We're all very proud to have played such an important role in making your daughter's Wedding Day so magical. We hope to welcome you all back for other family celebrations in the years to come.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I am not usually one for writing or reading reviews as i know there are people who are only happy when they are complaining but on this instance I feel the need to warn others. My partner and I had booked to stay here on 28th May for 2 nights as a treat for our anniversary but had to reorganise due to the sudden death of our best friend and his funeral would have coincided with our stay. We contacted the hotel 5 days early to try reschedule and they finally agreed to change date of arrival to 5th June 2013 (at extra cost to myself may I add) which at time I was happy to pay given circumstances. Whilst carrying my friends coffin at funeral I hurt my back which left me housebound. Doctor and physiotherapist agreed that it was a herniated disc/aggravated nerve so definately no chance me travelling to hotel. Partner couldnt make it either as she had to look after me. I called hotel explaining and asked if I could change dates for when I would be healed and obviously pay difference in rates as expected.I was then told that they would have to cancel and there would be no refund of my £284 as they'd already done too much for me.I feel this is a shocking lack off compassion. So basically Ive lost nearly £300 of my hard earned money lying on my living room floor in excruciating pain whilst grieving for the loss of my best friend.Its a double blow as im on minimum statutory sick pay now. I am shocked at the attitude of customer relations especially in this tough economic climate, I will be recommending my friends spend their money elsewhere

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
James M, you’re only telling half a story here: you chose our cheapest “Advanced Purchase” (AP) rate, having been informed that AP bookings are non-transferable and non-refundable – just like many airline tickets. However, for compassionate reasons, we did allow you to change your booking once. Had you paid only a little more, our “Best Available Rate” (BAR) would have been much more flexible. You could also have taken out travel insurance, as many of our guests do. We are fair people at the Hydro and would like to set the record straight on this unfair review.
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We decided to return to see if this place was better/worse than previous times. We must've stayed here at least once per year since about 1997/8 and just loved it. However, when we stayed in 2011 things had taken a turn for the worse including the 'extras' at dinner were overpriced in the posh Meikle restaurant. Having just returned today after three nights DB&B (£460) the extras at dinner have reduced as have the portions. One night I had seabass, which consisted of one fillet cut in half. After leaving our table two nights in a row starving, last night we ate in their downstairs restaurant where the portions are more 'normal'. As we booked dinner we had £21.50 each towards our meal, which helped (£12.95 for fish & chips). My other gripe was the downstairs bar The Hub closed at 20:15 and we were booted out the cocktail bar at 23:00. As an active wheelchair-user the hotel is OK apart from the thick carpet. We were given room 17, but couldn't get another room as it was not suitable for me however, they moved the bed then it was accessible. Only other gripe was I had to roll into the shower tray before I could close the bathroom door it was so small. Will we be back? Perhaps if just to see the lady who owns the boutique as she's delightful.

Room Tip: Not all 'disabled' rooms have a shower so be careful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
It's not clear from your review if you brought any of these issues to our attention during your stay, DavidArnott. There's nothing that we couldn't (shouldn't?) have fixed to make your stay perfect. Hope you'll return soon to see Vicki in the Boutique and give us another chance to impress.

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!