“Fantastic location and great facilities” 5 of 5 stars

Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping
Comrie Road | Braincroft, Crieff PH7 4JZ, Scotland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location and great facilities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

What a lovely place this is! We stayed in the Farmhouse in Room 2 on the 1st floor and a cot was provided for our 20 month old son. There was also another single bed in the room and plenty of space. Being off season and during the week it was really quiet. Our son loved the chickens which are on site and the lambs in the fields either side of the driveway which provided us with plenty of entertainment! Looking out of the ground floor bedroom (as it was vacant on our 2nd night) there were rabbits hopping about in the garden too! The kitchen is well kitted out with a huge fridge, lots of dining space and recycling facilities. Everything was really clean. We would definitely think about coming back here. Would recommend the farmhouse for families as I imagine it is a little quieter than the main hostel and as it is small, little ones can be left in their rooms (within earshot) while Mum and Dad relax in the living room.

Room Tip: I would ask for the upstairs rooms in the Farmhouse as the downstairs one is right beside the living...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
CrofterAndrew, Owner at Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thanks a lot for your lovely comments. It is really encouraging to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We really try to be family friendly, with pricing to match (under 5s free, under 16s half price). As you say, if you are looking for peace and quiet it is always best to come during the week (Sun-Thu nights). This year we are putting in an informal adventure play area for slightly older kids... though the woods are a great place to let older kids free to use their imagination anyway. Hopefully see you again another time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
tayside
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Booked one night here last week to celebrate our sons 6th Birthday--clarified on booking there were no large parties expected. Arrived to find dirty hostel-kitchen over-run by large group with buffet and booze spread out everywhere treating the place like they owned it -- like arriving at a party we weren't invited too!
Drove home 1hr trip-rang to complain next day as no one available that night DESPITE website claims that 24hr manned Reception. Refused to acknowledge our points AND took payment of £51 for family room against our wishes. Phone -calls and e-mail protests ignored.
SAYS IT ALL REALLY!!

Room Tip: You would get a better deal in a hotel and if you weren't satisfied they wouldn't help itsel...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
CrofterAndrew, Owner at Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
I'm really sorry that you didn't enjoy the brief time you spent at Comrie Croft. We work really hard to make sure everyone enjoys their stay with us so we take all feedback very seriously.

I'd like to try and address the issues you raised and see if there is anything we can do to make things better. Looking first at the issues...

There were no large parties booked in. Rather, some families had booked rooms individually under their own names, though as we discovered, they knew each other well and were cooking and eating together. We gave you an honest response and unfortunately I can't think how we could have handled this particular aspect any differently. It was the Easter school holidays and so it busy with other families, as you might expect. The hostel kitchen was thoroughly cleaned during the day, but the 'group' you alude to may well have been in the midst of using the kitchen. We do encourage all our guests to be considerate of others, but also to feel at home, have a drink with their meal and enter into the kind of sharing for which hostels are known and loved (kitchen space, meals, drinks and camaraderie). I understand from your subsequent phone call that at least one member of this 'group' apologised to you for seeming to take over the kitchen which does at least show an awareness of your needs.

It would be really helpful if you could send me a link to the web page saying that we have a 24hr manned reception so that I can correct this information - it isn't on our own website - the only one where we have total control of web page content. As you discovered we don't have a 24hr manned reception - like all other rural hostels in Scotland - but we do operate an after-hours self-servive check-in service and there is always someone either onsite or on call a short distance away. The relevant contact details are prominently displayed in the reception lobby.

Again it would be really helpful if you could send me a copy of your email protest as there are no emails from you on our system. Ultimately I feel that we were correct to charge the one night cancellation fee, as per our terms and conditions: the accommodation/service was provided as described. Also, because it was a busy time we had turned other customers away.

We are a small owner-managed business and we really do care if our guests have a good stay or not. We recognise that your time away is precious. On this occasion it sounds like other circumstances conspired against us and perhaps in your follow up call we could have had a little more empathy. On your part, perhaps if you had contacted us on the night we could have addressed these issues at the time. Please do also apologise from us to your family and especially your son for what can't have been the best birthday experience ever. As a gesture of goodwill we would like to invite you back at no further cost. We will do our very best to schedule this for a time when the hostel is quiet.

All the best
Andrew
Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed in the farmhouse part of the hostel, had booked for 2 nights but only actually stayed for one. The reason we didnt stay the 2nd wasnt really any fault of the hostel, there was a boozy German pairing who came in approx 4am drunk and broke plates and generally caused a disturbance.
We had the family room on the ground floor, could sleep 5 comfortably. The living room was small but convenient for us as it was next the family room. The bathroom downstairs and the kitchen were both well equiped and there was a nice garden. The location is amazing and there is alot to do: bikes- which you can hire from the location itself. a tree swing for kids, nice walks, also Comrie is a picturesque little place.

St. Andrews, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stayed here with a friend and 4 teenage boys to celebrate my sons 16th birthday. We had sole use of the farmhouse which was great as no worry about disturbing others. The boys had a great time with a camp fire in the evening and during the day mountain biking on the trails immediately on site. I believe 6 of us came to under £80 for a night as I remember with 3 paying as adults and 3 as children. A great place, no frills but at the price you shouldnt expect them. One slight gripe - having kindly been given permisiion to put my car in the courtyard area for unloading into the farmhouse it was a little annoying that some grumpy man came out of an adjacent workshop and very audibly queried as to why they bothered having a car park if people are going to park where they like! I didn't let it spoil our weekend though and a big thumbs up to this place. Your doing a great job.

Room Tip: The farmhouse is the smaller accomodation with only 4 rooms I believe - the hostel is much larger. I...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

This place to me and my family, is heaven, if you want the real camping experience this is the place to go. The first time we went to Comrie croft, we took our own tent and pitch on low ground near chickens. I read reviews before going and there was people complaining about the noise of chickens. I can now say, the complaint was over the top, they were not a problem at all. Infact I can't say we ever herd them and we were right next to them.for us we felt so welcome and at home, the staff couldn't have been anymore nicer or helpful. The showers and toliets were very clean, and it had been raining. We had our nephew with us and it was great as he could run free in the field.the shop was well stocked and also was great for a wee look around. We didn't find it to expensive either.firewood a fiver and if you need more in the night you help yourself and pay in morning. I thought this was great and extremly lovely to see in this day.for us it was a great getaway. I think people forget camping is camping your out in the wild and if you have a problem with silly things like chicken etc maybe you should stay at home.I have stayed loads of other places as Comrie croft gets booked uo fast and nowhere compares to it! I've found myself at other campsites dreaming of the c croft. We stayed in a kata last year and it was snowing so the lovely gentleman who worked there took our stuff up in 4x4.despite the weather it was the best new year ever. If you want the proper and perfect camping experience this is the place. Thanks to everyone a Comrie croft for a great time. See you soon

• Stayed March 2011
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

An excellent stay, even for an unaccustomed camper like myself!

After camping (properly) just once before this year, Comrie Croft was an excellent choice. You can pitch your tent in amongst the trees which not only provides a little shelter and a natural feeling, but also lets me put up my hammock for the brief dry spells of weather!

Another rarity was purchasing firewood from their shop and making your own log fires - it seems to be a dying tradition these days however it was great to be able to sit and have marshmallows at night time!

There is a couple of nice walks on the camp site itself which are worth the time to visit and despite the rain, I had a great stay here!

A hostel and teepees are on site too for those who don't want to take tents, some teepees even have log burners inside for the cold nights! The service was also very friendly when we arrived at the reception and was very surprised to find a quite a variety of camping gear for sale so all is not over if you forget the gas for your stove!

Nearby was the town of Comrie which was lovely, the local butchers sold great pies and there is a few small shops you can get your food/drink from to bring back to the campsite.

There was also a couple of great wee pubs around (maybe 4-5 in total - makes for an easy pub crawl!) and a restaurant worth visiting called The Deil's Cauldron located just before the Deil's Cauldron walk - equally worth doing.

Would recommend to anyone and is fantastic for those who may be unseasoned and wary about camping!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

A very nice enjoyable stay during a short summer break. The kitchen is big and suitable for accomodating several different guests preparing seperate meals. The bunk-bed was comfortable enough to accomodate my rather large frame (6ft 9) and I found the bedside lamp useful. Wifi throughout the hostel was something unexepected but much appreciated as was the very homely television area. I very much enjoyed staying and would recommend it over the local comrie pub/hotel. For families with children there is a bike hire next to the hostel and the small shop was also useful a long with interesting walking and trails there are also activity centres within reasonable driving range. All in all its a top hostel with hostel prices and should be reviewed as such. Oh just one slight problem, the toilet was slightly further away than desirable but nothing major i think thats me just being lazy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping? Share your experiences!