“Excellent, but with a few conditions” 4 of 5 stars

Gleneagles Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Auchterarder, Auchterarder PH3 1NF, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Auchterarder
Brackley, United Kingdom
“Excellent, but with a few conditions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at Gleneagles on the 1st November. The hotel building is indeed impressive, the service was excellent and our room in the Braid House impressive. However the main hotel appeared to be lacking in any atmosphere and our stay was slightly tainted by the number of children in the Spa and running around in the restaurants. I guess we should have expected this during half term?

Overall I am not fully convinced Gleneagles merits the hefty price asked.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Prestwick, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Luxury, luxury, luxury. The hotel is spotless and the facilities are 1st class. Our family room was a good size and the fire was an extra bonus feature. The only criticism I have about it was the room did get cold a lot even though we set the thermostat to stay warm. The leisure facilites are excellent and very clean, with the outside pool being a particular favourite with the whole family. The staff are so helpful and friendly, nothing is a problem with them. This is our 4th stay there and it is by far our favourite hotel, nothing can top it.

Room Tip: The new wing is contemporary style whilst the main hotel area is more traditional. Both are excelle...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Clair,

Your review is very kind - we are delighted that Gleneagles is your favourite hotel! Many thanks for giving us this feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We have just returned from our third stay at gleneagles and it just gets better every time. We have a five year old who just loves the whole experience. There is so much for kids to do and the staff are brilliant many of them remembering our names from previous visits. Grant in Deseo really looked after us he really made a fuss of Oscar. Yes it is busy during holidays with kids but I think there is still plenty of quiet space available for adults. We often visited the main bar for an earlier evening tipple whilst our son was in the kids club and it is a very relaxing environment.
We ate in Deseo mainly which was great but also tried the Strathearn which whilst being good was very expensive and in hindsight I would rather have paid the extra for Andrew Fairlie.
Top floor Braid House front facing rooms are worth the extra!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a great review - we're delighted that your family had a fun half break term with us, and that you continue to return to Gleneagles.

I hope we will welcome you back for another enjoyable stay soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My (English) family (two boys, aged 1 and 3) stayed at Gleneagles for a long weekend during half term and came away very impressed with the hotel. Despite its fame and size, the staff at Gleneagles make everyone feel very welcome and have an approach to customer service which is sadly lacking at so many other British hotels.
We had an excellent room with a separate room for our boys to sleep, with the highest quality furniture and nice touches like a nespresso machine.
The facilities are really world class, and great for kids, with a lovely big pool, an equestrian centre, a playroom for small kids and a "zone" for older kids with games and computers. Even as a non-golfer there is a lot for adults to do also. e.g. Shooting school
The food was superb with a great tapas restaurant which worked really well with the children for an early dinner as well as the traditional scottish fine dining experience
We had one small issue over an activity booking but the way the staff and management dealt with it - providing my wife a complimentary spa appointment - totally compensated and made us realise what a superb hotel this is. I cannot recommend it highly enough for a young family.
While the facilities of the hotel are what make people hear of Gleneagles, it is the staff and management of the hotel who for me make this stand out as one of Britain's best.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I'm delighted that you and your family had a tremendous time at Gleneagles. Many, many thanks for your kind words about the staff, which I will be sure to share around the hotel.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Best wishes,

Radlett, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here for a 3 day business conference in November 2011. The experience was truly outstanding (although the food was average which I believe was down to the budget set by the event organisers)

The rooms in new wing are bigger than I expected and on split level. I nearly got lost in bathroom!

Oh, and the remote control is a nice 007 touch.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Simon,

Thanks for the kind review. I'm glad to hear your first experience of Gleneagles was enjoyable, and hope that you will have a splendid time this week when we will have the pleasure to welcome you back.

goole
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The Gleneagles hotel is set in majestical scenery and the grounds / hotel is equally stunning and grand. So first impressions on arrival are WOW....

Inside the hotel things are a little disapointing. I was visiting the hotel as a surprise 2 day stay for a 40th birthday present... Roll on my 41st for a visit elsewhere.

SPA
Upon attempting to book some treatments we were told "Sorry fully booked" (for 2 days?) So I cannot review, but this was disapointing, clearly not having large enough facilities to cope.

GOLF
Not being a golfer I cannot comment on the course, however I did walk around it and thought it looked very well kept, not a fallen leaf in sight. The hotel is very Golfy.

POOLS
Free form pool, stroke pool, Jacuzi (closed for our stay) and out door large hot tub. Everywhere Kids, Kids, Kids, overun the pools, I have three of this little wonderful half sized humans myself but the Gleneagles is overun with the precocious type, who riot around in the facilities under poor parental supervison. I would never let my children interfere with other peoples enjoyment. If you are looking for a romantic break, its definately not the place.

STRATHERN RESTAURANT
Having eaten at many restaurants around the world, from Mitchelin Starred to Macdonalds, I would say I have had better MacDonalds!!! We ate here on two evenings and one breakfast, I could not face the final breakfast here :-( and ate in the room.

The first evening we were seated at the back of the restaurant in a conservatory. No jeans allowed in the restaurant, but many people did wear jeans and nothing was said.
The food was expensive and barely warm. I had Hot lobster for starters this was served partially warm, partially freezing cold. My husband had scallops which came in an unusual decorative sauce. We asked 3 waiters what that sauce was after it was served. All said sorry sir, I dont know saying they would find out and return. None returned. Waiting staff should know the menu. The events manager finally did tell us, and he was brilliant. He saved the evening completely. He should be allowed to offer service training to all the staff in how to have happy customers.

My main meal fillet steak tasted of game. I can only assume it was cooked on the same hot plate that game had also been cooked on. My husband had a rib eye steak that was so chewy even a steak knife would not cut it. By the time we were asked if everything was ok, the food had been on our table too long. I hate making a fuss whilst eating and so my husband for my sake declined having his steak cooked again. The puddings and cheese board were good.
Once the waiters found out we didnt drink alcohol and were not requiring wine pouring we were not attended to very well. Can waiters not pour juice? A large table of about 12 was seated behind our table. The waiters were contantly speeding past us to wait on the table and this was very distracting, this table was visited at 10pm by five children who I think had just exited the pool by the cholrine smell around them, these children stood up jostling around the table with bags and ran riot, not a tranquil 5* experiance, as I said to start more like Macdonalds. The breakfast we ate at 10am was buffet style and served like a poor all inclusive hotel abroad, Kids pushing in poking fingers in food, queues to get food and when you finally get back to the table the slop you have fought to win onto your plate is cold! Cakes were nice though. Tea & coffee is served at your table, our waiter managed the pot of tea, but no milk?
The second evening of dinner was much the same. We were 30 minutes late to the restaurant and upon arrival this was pointed out to us with a member of staff pretending not to find us on the list and then saying mmmmm booked for 7.30. HOW RUDE. Did you even ask why we were late, no you just disrespected us. Poor service, warm food and misinformation given by waiters again. We ended up with three large dishes of vegetables at £6.95 per dish as the waiter said we needed them, but my husbands meal came with vegetables and chips! My food was lovely, I had Grouse but again the food was not even warm, the vegetables also cold. Cheese board nice again. (probably as cheese requires no cooking!)

ROOM SERVICE
Food was lovely and warm, served beautifully. On this score you did brilliantly.

ROOM
Our room was in the new wing, from reception a 5 minute walk through an expensive shopping mall. I saw a pair of tights for £375, a bottle of whisky for £20,000 so you judge if thats expensive.
The room itself was a good size, lovely view, bed very comfortable, pillows a dream. Piped music in the bathroom a nice touch. Bose radio / Cd player.Slippers and bathrobes provided. Lovely coal effect fire by the sofa area.
Bathroom huge. Twin sinks, bath, seperate shower. The frosted glass to the toilet area was covered in greasy hand and finger prints. I quickly cleaned this area with wet wipes but everything else was sparking clean.
On day one we returned to the room after breakfast to find a male cleaner watching TV in our room! He turned it off immediatley but the damage was done. I felt very uncomfortable with this lack of respect for our space. On night 2, I noticed a large blond hair stuck to the overblanket. We are both brunettes. I can only hope it came from the turndown service lady.
The decor was good.
ACTIVITES
Pony riding, working dogs, golf, spa, falconry. We only did the falconry so cannot comment on the others. The falconry was excellent. We went on a half day hunt. Great fun and very informative. However, the half day title is a bit misleading. It was described as 2.5 hours. the birds are kept at the hotel and we arrived at 10am thinking we would be doing the activity until 12.30. But what happens is a tour of the birds and then you get kitted out with a coat and boots. 20 mins gone. Then you get in a land rover for a 20 min drive. spend 1.5 hours hunting and 20 mins driving back. So half a day actually equates to 1.5 hours for a couple of hundred quid!! Apart from that it was fantastic and the staff were brilliant.

I have found it hard to write this as the whole experiance was bought as a gift for me.

All in all the hotel is ok. Not a 5* experiance. Good facilities but not large enough to cope with the size of the hotel.
Top tip for Strathern: Microwave required on every table to warm food.

Sorry :-(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us this in-depth feedback, whch is much appreciated. We were saddened to hear that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay at Gleneagles, and were particularly disappointed to hear of your dining experience in the Strathearn. Please accept our sincere apologies that we did not deliver to our usual high standard on this occasion. My colleague Paul Hughes, our Food & Beverages Services Manager, would be very keen to hear from you if you wish to discuss your experience further - his email address is paul.hughes at gleneagles.com.

Please be assured that we do take your comments very seriously, and we hope to hear from your soon so that these can be addressed.

Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Go and have a meal the food is good and the staff are superb. You are treated so well and it is not stuffy like some hotels of the same standard. We are booking again its quite expensive but well worth it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about the Strathearn - I am glad you enjoyed your meal, and are already planning a return visit!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Gleneagles soon.

Front of House Manager

Been to Gleneagles Hotel? Share your experiences!