“Lovely hotel, shame about the food.” 4 of 5 stars

Duchally Country Estate
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gleneagles, Auchterarder PH31PN, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Auchterarder
scotland
“Lovely hotel, shame about the food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was designed as an overnight stop and a last minute booking was made at the Duchally Hotel. the staff on the phone for the booking were very helpful and the resort was very easy to find just off the A9.
At check in the process was fast and efficient and we were shown to our room. The room was finished to a high standard and provided my guest and I with a very comfortable nights sleep. The room was very clean and well maintained.
It wasn't until we went to dinner that there was a let down. The starters were OK but it was cheese on toast when it was meant o be Garlic Bread and Cheese. The mains were OK but nothing that set the world alight and the puddings were mediocre. It did take a while for the food to come out and the service was a little slow. f staying again I would venture back out and eat in some of the great restaurants in Auchterarder instead. The breakfast buffet was plentiful with fresh fruit and cereal along with a hot breakfast. The hot breakfast was warm rather than hot but OK value for money.
when we went back to our room a member of housekeeping just waltzed into our room without knocking saying that he was there to clean our room. We had been advised check out was 11am and this happened at 10am, which was a bit of a disappointment.
Overall our stay was very good for the money just the next time we would eat outside the hotel complex.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Leven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife has been here twice and really recommends it. The accommodation is clean and spacious. The kitchen is well equipped and clean. The spa facilities are fantastic. She is looking to go back a third time.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Sutton Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I booked this hotel through a booking agent. I wasn't expecting much for the price I paid but wow what a hotel.

There was ample room to park the grounds are vast and clean and well maintained.

Disabled access ramps are present and well maintained. The main entrance although small was welcoming.

The lady at reception was Scottish which believe it or not is a novelty in a Scottish hotel and was lovely. She explained all about the hotel and where to eat and what time the pool opened etc.

The reception lady showed me up to my room which was very spacious and lovey and warm.

There was a Jacuzzi bath with a good shower above, plenty of towels and robes with slippers, a good shampoo and shower gel and a a good mirror with light.

I ventured downstairs to the bar for dinner.

There was a large screen in the bar showing the evenings championship game with a roaring fire which was maintained regularly.
It had a good atmosphere and friendly staff.

The wine selection was great as was the whiskey selection.

The had a Louis Latour chardonnay which being from my favourite vineyard I had to have. It was chilled correctly,served in the correct glass and a chilled cooler was provided, well done Duchally.

I ordered the salmon starter. The lamb main and the Duchally mess dessert. All exceptional with the exception of the chips with lamb,they tasted a little strange and the dessert came in a large cocktail glass, without a plate. Now this would have been fine however the dessert had a large circular shortbread inserted into the cream on top. So my options were to either hold it while I ate the dessert, eat all of it before my dessert or place it on the table, which although I'm sure the table was clean enough it's just not something I'm used to doing. I obviously had similar issues with my spoon when I wanted a break from enjoying the fabulous dessert.

The service during the meal was impeccable and attentive but not over the top. I was asked about every course and they listed to what I had to say.

After my meal I thought I might like a whiskey, I described the type I like and the knowledgeable bar staff chose a beautiful 15 year old Dalwhinnie (which was very reasonably priced). This matched my description exactly, well done again Duchally.

After my whiskey. I had a little wander round the hotel, a separate and cosy lounge, a small games room and again all nicely decorated and exceptionally clean.

I wandered back to my room, I enjoyed the Jacuzzi bath and the shower and docked my I pod to the Phillips alarm clock. The mattresses was medium/ soft and there were plenty of pillows and a duvet yay well done again Duchally.

I haven't experienced breakfast, the pool, steam room or sauna yet however if there are any issues I will rewrite my review to include, I not teak is as read that they are great, as I already know judging by tonight that they will be.

To summarise, if your visiting anywhere within 50 miles of here, this hotel is well worth every penny. This hotel is nearly gleneagles on a smaller scale without the huge price tag ( yes I have stayed at gleneagles so I can compare).

Well done Duchally!

• Stayed December 2014
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at Duchally Country Estate, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We set high standards for ourselves so it’s always good to know that we have met them. I’m glad our experienced staff were able to select a whisky that suited you – they take their job seriously! I hope you enjoyed our Duchally Scottish breakfast, and we look forward to welcoming you back should you return to our lovely area.

Resort Manager, Duchally
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

These cottages were fantastic clean comfortable and exceptionally well equipped. Would recommend you take good supplies with you as no shop available. The pool was good but very busy which was a struggle in the tiny changing areas.
Only complaint got carry out from the limited hotel menu, very very expensive and certainly not value for money, £10 for 12 tiny chicken wings bit of a shock.

• Stayed November 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Lodge was very well equipped, my sister in law had a bit of a time trying to sleep in the sofa bed but we were assured by managent that these will be being replaced shortly. We sat in the whiskey bar on St Andrews night and we were entertain by a man singing, thoroughly enjoyed our night.

• Stayed November 2014
Aberdeen, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here for two nights during November 2014.

First of all let me say the accommodation there is not traditional lodges like we expected. These are very modern houses. This was not an issue, they were fantastic.

They were finished to a high standard, had loads of space and contained everything you would need.

The grounds of the 'resort' were maintained to a high standard.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The leisure facilities were also great, the pool was very clean and modern and great for kids. There is a good sauna and steam room.

We would definately recommend staying there.

The lodges are self catering and as such we did not try the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Luxury lodge in beautiful setting.We went to Duchally Estate for a 60th birthday celebration. We ate in Monteaths restaurant in the hotel. Friendly staff went out of their way to decorate table. Food was delicious. Highly recommend venison sausages. We spent afternoon in Leisure centre, swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Only gripe was that the Ladies changing room did not have any private cubicles for changing. we had a very pleasant stay and would certainly return in summer and make full use of facilities weather permitting.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Duchally Country Estate? Share your experiences!