“Wonderful relaxing winter break” 5 of 5 stars

You added Duchally Country Estate to your Saves list
Duchally Country Estate
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gleneagles, Auchterarder PH31PN, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Auchterarder
“Wonderful relaxing winter break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed at Duchally with a friend at the end of January for a long weekend winter break. It was the most relaxing and enjoyable weekend which was enhanced by the lovely setting and cheerful, helpful staff at the hotel.
We had a twin room in the hotel which was incredibly comfortable. Toasty warm on a miserable cold and snowy weekend although the radiators had thermostats so we were able to turn down the heat at night. Lovely comfy beds with fluffy pillows and duvets and nice bedlinen. The bathroom was comfortable with fluffy towels, bathrobes and slippers and everything you could possibly ask for, including bathroom scales (not used after the amazing meals we had in the restaurant).
The bar was warm and welcoming with a real fire and on both Friday and Saturday night we were treated to great live folk music. There is a small gym and a lovely pool with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. It's not in the main building but a short walk through the grounds. We probably would have used it more if the weather had been better but chose instead to stay in the cosy bar with a glass of wine.
Beauty treatments were booked in advance and delivered in a converted bedroom in the hotel. The treatments themselves were really nice and good value compared with other places we have stayed. Maybe a little more could be done to make the room more welcoming - curtains at the window (ok there was howling gale while I was having my facial but it was a little distracting to have the rain battering off the window) and the offer of a blanket in addition to the rather small towel to cover you during the treatment. Personally I could do without the whale song but that's just my own preference.
While we were having our treatment there was a leak from the bay window in our bedroom caused by the excessive amounts of rain and snow that had fallen overnight. The staff could not have been more helpful and made sure my friend was chaperoned by a female member of the team while the leak was being fixed. Later on we returned after a snowy walk to find a note of apology and a complimentary bottle of wine in our room. A very nice touch - thank you.
We will certainly return to Duchally - it's like a very upmarket home from home and we really didn't want to leave.
Thanks for a great holiday
Pamela and Sarah

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Value for money was unsurpassed. I had a very comfortable room and the Whiskey tasting session was an education and although I enjoy the occasional malt I now know how to get more from my glass. Unfortunatly Eleanor's comments about the food are not without foundation and although breakfast starts at 8:00 am in reality on my stay it was not up and running until 08:30.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

What I would like to outline from the start is that this was a business trip and so if you are on a leisure trip then the only problem that I experienced here would probably not matter to you.

The standard and comfort of this hotel is absolutely excellent, with the bed and duvet in the room being extremely comfortable. The location is remote but this is peaceful and quiet.

Dinner in the bar was excellent quality with a full and varied menu.

One of the main highlights here is the whisky tasting sessions that are run by a very informative and friendly guy called George who is an absolute asset to this establishment. Very good value and great fun as well; you must try it!

My only issue here was that I was told breakfast was served from 8am and I had a meeting arranged close by to the hotel at 9am. When I arrived at the breakfast room just after 8am all of the cold items were laid out and a very good assortment too, but the hot items had not arrived. It was almost 8.30am when the hot items were brought to the breakfast room and so it was a very rushed breakfast indeed. I was surprised to learn on check in that breakfast started so late but to make it worse, most of the breakfast did not arrive until almost 30 minutes later. Whilst these times may suit the leisure traveller, it certainly does not suit business travel.

Other than the breakfast issue, all was excellent here and I would have scored a full 5 rating but a hotel of this standard should have a better breakfast policy in my opinion and just to make everyone aware.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Chesham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

The accomadation is to a very high standard. That is the only pro of this estate, the gym and swimming pool is tiny and can't cater for all residents. There really is nothing to do, entertainment only starts at night and this is mostly whiskey tasting. I wouldn't recommend this holiday to any friends of my age from children to teens, as it it's terribly boring. For couples and elders it is more enjoyable.

Stayed February 2014
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at Duchally Country Estate, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
I was glad to see that you enjoyed your accommodation. As an award winning resort we do set very high standards for our comfort and hospitality and we are, we believe, the ideal base for exploring this splendid part of Perthshire as well as offering easy access further afield and the majority of our guests find plenty of things to do in the area – a number of attractions are included on our website and we have a very large supply of information leaflets in our reception containing suggestions on things to do nearby. We do not have a full sized commercial sports complex with pool – rather our leisure centre is designed to offer a more intimate way of relaxing after a day spent exploring the area. We do offer evening entertainment at least three evenings a week, including live music, ghost stories and whisky tasting, but the resort is not designed to offer day long on site activities, and nor does our website indicate any different so I am sorry you were disappointed by your stay.

Resort Manager, Duchally.
Perth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I live locally to Duchally House Hotel and often like to dot out in the local area for lunch on a Friday. In the past I have had the most delicious Howdenhall Brie sandwiches here for lunch, along with a rather excellent coleslaw - sadly, they're no longer on the menu.
The second last time I went there I was on my own and I was the only person in the bar for lunch. The receptionist at the front desk had told me to 'go on through and someone will be along shortly'. After 15 minutes 'someone' had not materialised. So I left and drove across to The Kirkstyle Inn at Dunning where the service was attentive and the food was really excellent, and very reasonably priced into the bargain.
On my latest visit to Duchally, I was tempted by the sound of supreme of chicken stuffed with black pudding, with some sort of sauce, and served with colcannon potatoes - what's not to like? The chicken was OK - not nearly enough of the sauce to be able to even get the taste of it, which probably explains why I can't even remember what the sauce was supposed to be. But the 'colcannon potatoes'!! They turned out to be (an unfortunately large amount of) bland, under-seasoned mashed potatoes (which, if you told me were Cadbury's Smash, I wouldn't be inclined to argue with you), AND with chunks of cooked CARROT mixed through! Absolutely horrible. My Irish granny turned in her grave, I'm certain.
I WAS planning to complain - unfortunately, however, no one came near us to enquire if our meals were OK (or indeed to ask us if we wanted any more drinks, which we did but as we were not approached and could not attract the attention of either of the waitresses that was business lost for the hotel).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at Duchally Country Estate, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with your lunch and would like to reassure you that, in fact, our Howgate Brie sandwiches are still available. The restaurant is popular with both resort guests and outside diners and we receive a lot of positive feedback about our food, which is locally sourced and freshly prepared. Our chicken dish is stuffed with haggis and is very popular. I can assure you that the potatoes are from a local supplier and our chef has rung the changes from the traditional colcannon recipe because he feels that the addition of carrots adds more colour, and makes for a prettier dish. We set high standards for our staff who are welcoming and attentive, so please accept my apologies if on this occasion we did not meet our usual standards.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

we stayed 1 night.when we checked in we were told breakfast from 8 to 1030am.nice enough room large with a big screen tv.unusual pillows.bed a little soft and duvet a little too warm.when we came down to breakfast at 830 no one to greet and seat us.1 other couple eating.buffet laid out.cold things but no hot food just the empty containers.we helped ourselves to fruit and juice.after 15mins a lady appeared from the kitchen.she didn't know we were in.she said to give her 5 mins to put hot food out.she was under the impression we were there for 9am sitting.we told her receptionist had just told us breakfast between 8 and 1030am.she said she would have a word with her line manger.food was ok when finally did arrive.hotel needs to get stories straight re breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at Duchally Country Estate, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
I was sorry to see that there appears to have been some confusion at breakfast time during your stay with us. Our very popular Perthshire Breakfast is served daily and includes a wide range of ingredients, including fruit, cereals, bread rolls, sausages, bacon, beans, through to porridge, black pudding and ‘tattie scone’ and guests are invited to eat as much as they want. The breakfast is cooked freshly and we try to ‘cook to order’ rather than load the bain maries and I do apologise for any inconvenience. Your comments have been noted.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I have stayed at the Duchally twice, weekends in January 2013 and January 2014. The villas are a nice size, and allowed our 6 person family enough space to enjoy ourselves, have some private space and eat together. Its timeshare origins are obvious, but this is a good thing - parking is easy, and the villas are well-equipped.

The facilities at the resort are relatively basic: there is a pool, a small play park and a bar restaurant. Last year we ate in the restaurant - expensive, average food, served without any atmosphere. This year we chose the bar - same food, but a little more pleasant. Because of its isolation, there is little choice at the Duchally. For our second night we ate at The Gleneagles Hotel (10 minutes by taxi) whilst the children had pizza.

There was some slight unpleasantness at the end of our stay. The check-out on Sunday is clearly marked as 10:00, which seems ridiculous. We asked to extend this to 12:00, and eventually were allowed. When we were presented with our bill, £20 had been added, without warning. I disputed this, and was informed by the manager that most hotels she had been in had a 10:00 check-out - odd, because I've been around a fair amount of Scotland and the world and never come across a time so early. As a 'goodwill' gesture the £20 was refunded.

If you want to be in this part of Scotland, you could do worse than Duchally. If you are looking for a full facilities hotel, however, this isn't it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at Duchally Country Estate, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for your review. I was sorry to see that your experience was so at odds with that enjoyed by many of our guests. Our restaurant is popular with both resort guests and outside diners, and we pride ourselves on offering freshly cooked food prepared using local produce. We receive many favourable reviews, and with main courses starting at £9 we believe we offer value for money. We generally find that our open fire in the bar is much appreciated by guests and we do provide entertainment four nights a week for guests who want to enjoy the tranquillity of a country location. We do make clear on our website that check-out time for our luxury lodges is 10am. Departure time for our hotel rooms is 11 am and I am sure you will appreciate that cleaning and preparing a self-catering lodge takes rather more time than cleaning a room. We will if possible accommodate requests for a later check-out, but in common with general hospitality practice we do charge a late check-out fee. It would not be our practice to add this to a guest’s bill without first indicating what the charge would be and I apologise if there was, on this occasion, any misunderstanding.
Resort Manager, Duchally

Been to Duchally Country Estate? Share your experiences!