“Simply fantastic, amazingly brilliant!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eastward Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Margaret's Hope
Eastward Guest House
You added Eastward Guest House to your Saves list
St. Margaret's Hope KW17 2RN, Scotland   |
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Simply fantastic, amazingly brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at Eastward for four days with my mother. We booked one double room cos we don't mind sharing a bed, but Patrick and Kako kindly gave us a second double room without surcharge - Fantastic. Both rooms are furnished with solid oak furniture, that matches really well with the arched windows.

Breakfast was amazing. I honestly don't know how they can make "standard-same-ingredient-anywhere" English full breakfast so tasty but anyway it was the best breakfast I ever had in hotels/B&Bs. Fresh fruit salad is not just sliced apples and oranges. I counted at least six or seven varieties of fruits every morning.

Evening meals were equally excellent. We had Japanese and Italian, both of which were very fresh, really well cooked and presented, and needless to say delicious.

The owners are very hospitable and friendly. This B&B is the best ever for not just breakfast but for the whole experience!

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Unfortunately our fourth visit to Eastward was marred by the presence of the most obnoxious and insulting person I have ever encountered and that includes both rudeness to fellow guests (my husband and I) as well as to the owners.

Offensive behaviour ruined the unique atmosphere that I am sure everyone else has previously enjoyed no doubt as a memorable experience. Perhaps other proprietors would probably have asked them to leave, but the owners of Eastward demonstrated such remarkable patience and friendliness that really is a tribute their outstanding people skills.

We travel the world extensively (average nine times a year) staying in high calibre hotels and eating in fine restaurants. Nothing compares to the level of hospitality and frankly many top restaurants would envy the culinary delights produced here. We ate the five course French provençal dinner with its seven vegetables and exciting flavours. We also enjoyed a four course Italian meal which certainly matches the good London restaurants that we often eat in. Our third evening dinner was Polynesian which was a real food treat for my carnivore husband. The eight course Japanese banquet is simply sublime and sumptuous food that equals the best that we have eaten in Tokyo; we can understand why people choose this to celebrate anniversaries.

Our five year old daughter thoroughly enjoyed the food too.

On previous trips we have seen all of the archaeology and interesting places that Orkney has to offer so now our holidays are just to get the dose of relaxing atmosphere of Eastward House.

Although you can never choose which other travellers you get stuck with, in our experience awkward people are rare. You can however choose to experience the real friendship and stunning cuisine from what is the ultimate B & B.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

A nice place to stay, especially when you cannot have dinner out - the owners catered not just for us, but also for our 1.5year old daughter. Food is nice (if not the suggested Michelin standard), fresh and plenty (for us, portions were mostly too big). Fresh fruit salad at breakfast was a daily treat!

The rooms are simply furnished (IKEA style), a few more hooks here and there would have been helpful (we had no chest of drawers in our room or means to hang wet jackets near the door).

The only reason why it's not a 5 star rating for me is that Patrick (the owner) was sometimes a bit too chatty. But other people might enjoy that!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Patrick and Keiko (aided by their delightful daughters) made my third stay here just as memorable as previous visits. It was my girlfriend's second visit, and having already sampled the wonderful Japanese banquet on her first trip, we decided to try the Polynesean feast. It was utterly delicious, and washed down with various bottles of superb wine that Patrick produced without any prompting. (and I think they were included in the dinner price, which seems remarkable value, or maybe they forgot to add the wine to the bill?) We barely had room for the excellent breakfast, but plastic containers were supplied to allow us to take away and eat later. My son, George loved having his own bedroom with ensuite shower, and a present on his bed as on his first trip last year.. Thankyou Patrick also for the willow cuttings, and see you all next time, as I know we'll be back.

Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

This place come to us by itself as we were waiting on the outskirts of an old church in the middle of a remote island in the Orkneys for a bus that was never meant to come...

After a long day of cycling we tightly managed to catch up with the last entry at the local historical attraction - the eagle tomb in South Ronaldsay and were andvised there by the keeper to wait at the crossroad for the local bus.

After some minutes of waiting Patrick - the owner of the missing bell - come to us kindly asking what we were waiting for since a bus has not passed through the place since 8 years ago when the local service was abolished and invited us over. Hence instead of a missing bus we found the missing bell :-)

We were absolutly not aware what luck actually encountered us - the church we were standing close turned out to be a superb restaurant and hotel and actually the mecca for many gourmets and lovers of homemade cuisine!

The place itself is a nice facility which came to live thanks to an original and neat reconstruction of an old church standing in the midts of the romantic South Ronaldsay island, surrounded by several interesting archeological and natural sites, but the best it actually has to offer are it's owners the englishmen Patrick and japaneese Keiko which other than just being very hospitable and lovely people are also masters of tradional homemade british and japaneese cuisine.

Their meals other than being original and made mostly of locally grown and hundred percent fresh ingredients are also absolutely saltless. A dictate ot the healthy lifestyle promoted by the pair which surprisingly absolutely is not a disadvantage as the taste of the meals which is made up by the freshness of the ingredients and the savy choice fo spices superates any taste that can be provided by chemical adittives.

I absolutely recommend the Missing bell for any sort of holydays since I will be surely coming back to this place as much it will be possible :

Room Tip: The missing bell provide a whole set of different rooms with a distinct touch in design, but overall...