“Home made breakfasts were the icing on the cake” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 45 John Street

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stromness
45 John Street
You added 45 John Street to your Saves list
Stromness KW16 3AD , Scotland   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Stromness B&B and Inns
London
“Home made breakfasts were the icing on the cake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed for two nights over the May bank holiday weekend. I booked it after reading TripAdvisor reviews and it was easily one of the nicest B&Bs we've stayed in. The room was big and luxurious with nice towels, toiletries and tea/coffee/homemade shortbread. But the breakfasts were by far the best bit - everything homemade, even home cured ham! We would highly recommend it to friends/family. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was by far the best B&B I have ever stayed in. I came to Stromness to Scuba dive for 4 days and it was wonderful to have such comfortable accommodations every night as I was exhausted. Kay greeted me every day with a huge warm smile and was honestly one of the nicest people I have ever met. In my room I had home made shortbread every night (which I shouldn't have eaten but couldn't resist!) and Kay's version of Continental Breakfast was in a league of its own. She made fresh scones, porridge, yogurt, toast and preserves. Plus she had cheese, smoked fish and fruit with every spread you can imagine.

She made me a packed lunch every day and when I came home from diving the first day soaking wet she washed and dried all of my clothes for the morning. When I left, Kay gave me a giant hug and I promised her I would be back. If you ever get to Stromness, beg to stay there, you will want for nothing. It is clean, comfortable, and has all the amenities you need. Even with all that, it would not have been the same without Kay and Neil, they were amazing hosts. I can't speak highly enough of them. Remember it is cash only but will have everything you need and an ATM is close by.

Is close to the Ferry, across the street, and Scapa Scuba (you must go there) if you are a diver is only about a 5 min walk. To eat try The Ferry Inn or the Stromness Hotel. The Ferry Inn is a bit more laid back.
Thank you Kay and Neil, it was an amazing stay!

Room Tip: There are only 5 rooms in this B&B and some have ensuites. Book early to get the room you want.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Kay and Neil live centrally with a view straight down onto the harbour and in sight of the mainland ferry quayside. We had a spacious room with view to the water - home baking in the room and mostly home-made fare of excellent quality at breakfast. 45 John St is an exception to most B&Bs as it does not regularly serve a "full cooked" breakfast, but offers porridge, fresh breads and toast, cheese, ham - the "continental" alternative. This is actually no problem because it is a) less filling and b) delicious, so it makes a nice change if you are touring Scotland and starting to get fried food fatigue.

Kay gave good advice on where to go and what to see - she and Neil are genuinely welcoming and really helpful. Key was able to shuffle arrangements around to accommodate us for a third, unplanned night. The B&B is easy walking distance to restaurants, pubs, banks and shops as well being close by the great High Street which offers picturesque views and a relaxing evening or morning stroll.

We had thought that Stromness might prove a too south-westerly position to be based for exploring the Orkneys but this proved wrong - distances are minimal in any case and Stromness seemed far more welcoming, attractive and peaceful than Kirkwall or other larger villages. Parking directly opposite the property is easy as long as you can confine it to the period between around 17:30-10:00, although the policing of the otherwise 30 min maximum spots seems in any case to be interpreted in a tourist-friendly way.

We would thoroughly recommend a stay here and will certainly return if the opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Last year on an impromptu visit I stayed at 45 John Street and had a wonderful time there. This year I planned my visit and yes, consistency does exist. You can find it at 45 John Street where yet again I had a wonderful stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Our room was nice and comfortable. The bathroom was rather small, but completely sufficient. Both the room and the bathroom were extremely clean. Kay is a friendly, helpful, and flexible host. The continental breakfast was good and tasty, with many homemade and local products. We really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

My wife and i have stayed for a couple of days at the beginnig of March 2012. We enjoyed the whole stay, the hostess was very nice and caring. The room and breakfast were perfect, bathroom was a bit cold but ok. She nicely provided us a hot lunch when we were leaving to Hoy (she also booked a ferry for us in advance).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
lubbock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

My husband and I had been traveling in the Highlands and wanted to see Orkney and Hoy, so we booked some nights at 45 John Street. This was the best B&B we experienced in Scotland in the two weeks of our travels. The hosts were helpful, and very nice. The breakfast were great! I wish I could make oatcakes like that! Wonderful jams and preserves. Great location near the ferries. From here we went to Hoy, then came back, leaving our extra luggage at 45 John Street. All went well, wonderful people. We recommend this place!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to 45 John Street? Share your experiences!