“Nice hotel, but not amazing” 3 of 5 stars

Pier Road, Burray Village KW17 2SS, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burray Village
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leeds, UK
“Nice hotel, but not amazing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

We stayed at the Sands Hotel for three nights as part of a tour of the Highlands and Islands.

Although this hotel has a rating of four stars in the 'Small Hotel' classification, I'm not sure how it managed to get it. Three stars would be more realistic.

The hotel was comfortable, and recently renovated, but the walls are thin (we could hear the sound of the TV in the next room, and footsteps from the room above), the rooms small and the quality of food was good rather than great. The curtains were also made of fairly thin fabric which let through the light a little too much (especially as it never really gets dark on Orkney this time of year)

On the plus side, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the prices for food and accomodation were completely reasonable.

We wouldn't stay at the Sands Hotel again - not because of anything particularly wrong, but because there is so much better choice out there.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Not up to the standard I'd expect of a four-star hotel
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Leicester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

I was really looking forward to visiting the sands hotel and I was VERY dissappointed. We arrived at the hotel and the owner seemed pleasant at that point (if only we had realised then how rude she was!) We were shown to our hotel room - the hotel room was basic and very modern, I was very pleased and was quite confident this as going to be a fantastic place to stay! The food in the restaurant was lovely and the staff in the restaurant were very nice. I left my hotel room one morning, I went down the stairs and the owner stared at me I was unsure why and to be honest very intimidated! i left the hotel for a day out and returned at around 5:00pm I decided I would like to eat at the hotels restaurant, The owner was behind the bar and I went up and asked to reserve a table. She then started to be very rude and accused me of "flushing toilets for most of the night and jumping up and down all night" I was horrified why would I want to flush toilets all night and jump up and down, she also accused me of making other noises! ALL OF THE ACCUSATIONS WERE INSULTING AND UNTRUE! I would not recomend this hotel to anyone only go there if you want to be insulted!

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The unpleasant staff and the very basic rooms!
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2006

We stayed in two rooms at the top of the hotel. One room had 2 beds and the other had three. They are not inter-connecting but they share the stair and feel quite separate. We liked this. The rooms were well decorated, had hospitality trays, a kettle, hairdyer and were very clean. Nice bathroom and the rooms overlooked the pier and you could lie in bed at night and hear the water wash up against the pier. Very soothing. It was very quiet and relaxing.

We ate in the hotel on 3 nights and liked the food and felt that the service was good without being over the top.

We would definitely choose to stay there if we were in Orkney again.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2004

We arrived in Orkney on the car ferry to St. Margaret's Hope, and the Sands Motel is just a few minutes from there. As it was pouring rain, we were happily surprised to enter this recently renovated building and find a modern reception area, a charming and comfortable room with a view to the water, and an attractive restaurant that was still open for dinner. Breakfast the next morning was served in a plant-filled solarium. The whole operation was first-class and a good base for exploring the eastern half of the Orkney Mainland.

• Stayed June 2004

Been to Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!