“Birthday treat” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wishaw, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

On arriving at the Alona I was delighted to see it hasn't changed much in the three years since we last stayed here. Very bright and airy interior and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. This was booked as a last minute treat by my husband for my birthday. The room was very modern and clean and bathroom is spotlessly clean with large walk in shower.
We went out to the Toby Carvery with family for dinner, this was only a few minutes walk away-although if this hadn't been pre arranged would probably have had dinner in the hotel.
Breakfast is a buffet with a choice of cereals, fruit and fruit juices. Also available is the cooked breakfast-buffet style again but well worth it
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

stopped here for 2 nights while working in the area. Cannot fault the room it was big, modern and spacious with a walk in shower room. Food was great would recommend the sirlion steak.
Staff that i spoke to were pleasant enough no probs.
Next door to hotel has ten pin bowling, pool tables and an arcade so something to do at night.
Will defo use this hotel again when we are working in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PINNER, MIDDLESEX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights last weekend and overall had a good time. The first thing that struck me after being slightly phased by the exterior, as it was not as I expected – were the staff. They were friendly, helpful, polite and hard working. Whatever I asked for was delivered with a smile. We had a party of ten people for the Friday night for dinner and even though the hotel had 3 functions on that evening, the food and service were both excellent. The Menu had something for everyone with a little touch of the unusual to make it even more interesting. I had the Black Pudding with beetroot starter which was very tasty followed by the Medallions of Beef, which was cooked just to my liking.
We had a family Charity Ball for my cousins daughter who has Carcinoid Syndrome the following night – Not in the Hotel – However when I mentioned this to Ian the General Manager , he kindly donated a meal for four people without any hesitation, to help raise money for Cancer and Carcinoid Syndrome, which I thought was highly commendable. Helen the operations manager made a point of seeing that we were okay too and looked after us well.
The hotel itself definitely caters well for events such as weddings etc., with both bedrooms and function rooms big enough for comfort. The lake opposite the hotel can be used for your more interesting wedding photography, as well as the usual boating and leisure activities. The hotel lies next door to Strathclyde Country Park, with events taking place on a regular basis and plenty of things in close proximity for children and young adults too.
The only down side that I feel I have to mention is that the first appearance of the Hotel gave me the impression that it was less than a 4 star, so a bit of redecoration and maybe a bit more Landscaping to the front garden area would bring the appearance of the hotel up a level.
However it's the staff that will make me want to return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: front facing rooms are probably quieter if events are being held and have double doors that open inw...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Hotel. The staff do work hard and are encouraged to make all our guets feel valuable and welcome. I am pleased that you expeirenced that during your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
ian donnachie
general Manager
Alona Hotel
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed here after my friend got married in the Hamilton area. We had to check in early due to the wedding and we managed to get into our room although others in our party were unable to check in.

We didnt arrive back to the hotel to 1am so i feel i didnt get to experience the hotel fully.

The room was lovely, very spacious with a large double bed and flat screen TV. The bathroom was a wet room but again in excellent condition with toiletries and coffee making facilities.

I had a great comfortable sleep.

Breakfast was served between 7-1030 which was a buffet style with everything you could think of. There was toast, rolls, eggs, beans, mushrooms, hash browns, potato scone, sausage bacon and haggis and black pudding.

There was a range of fruit juices and tea and coffee as well as cereals.

I had no complaints at this hotel and would return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Hotel. We do value your comments and I will ensure that they are passed onto the rest of the team. We do look forward to welcoming you again.
Kind Regards
ian donnachie, General Manager Alona Hotel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Iam a local balloon company and was looking forward to delivering to this hotel today (I recommend a lot of venues to customers). I was shown to the area by a lovely member of staff from reception only to be handed over to the general manager to deal with. I was under the impression that the balloons were for table decorations and the customer had paid for delivery and set up. I was then spoken to in an undermining and downright rude manner. Customer service attitude should always be applied to whoever you are speaking to in your hotel, not just customers. I will be making a formal compaint.

Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit. I regret very much that you were treated badly when you visited the Hotel and I accept your comments and can assure you that this is not normally the way we treat our guests or suppliers. Please accept my apolgies.
Yours sincerely
Ian Donnachie General Manager Alona Hotel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

I came for dinner here at the start of August, and was very disappointed! Firstly the staff could not be more switched off, 0% customer service, they could crack a smile once in a while. I had soup, which was so bland and had chicken with noodles, which was absolutely horrible, hardly touched it. It's a shame cz it's in a great location but they really need to get their staff in order and get a decent chef!

• Stayed August 2012
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments regarding the quality of service and food. As you will see from the other reviews our food is normally complimented upon and I regret that your experience was not the same. We have just recently changed the menu so I trust you will visit the Alona Hotel again and receive better service and quality service next time

Kind regards, Ian Donnachie, General Manager, Alona Hotel
Airdrie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We recently visited this hotel's restaurant with friends for High Tea. The food was very nice, staff were really friendly and attentive and was excellent value for money. The locality is very good with a great view over the lake at Strathclyde Park. The restaurant is bright and airy featuring a lovely atrium. They offer a two course meal served with scone, butter,jam, cream plus tea or coffee. Needless to say we will be visiting again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
thank you very much for your positive comments. We encourage the staff to be friendly and deliver a good standard of service and we are very satisfied with the Brigade of chefs in the Kitchen and the consistently. We are very pleased you enjoyed your visit to the ALona Hotel and look forward to welcoming you again.
Kind Regards, Ian Donnachie, General Manager, Alona Hotel

Been to The Alona Hotel? Share your experiences!