“Not bad for under a tenner!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 48 Restaurants in Motherwell
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not bad for under a tenner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Visited the Toby Carvery at around 8:30pm on a Friday evening, while staying at the Alona Hotel nearby. The Toby Carvery at Innkeepers Lodge, is situated just next to the M74, adjacent to the Holiday Inn.

We were quickly seated and it seemed like they were fairly busy and we found service was slow and the tables were sticky, my pet hate!

We ordered drinks and went for the carvery although there were other 'pub' meals on the menu. The pricing was strange, £5.99 for the carvery (4 types of meat, Yorkshire pud and roasts) and an upgrade to the 'king size' which included a choice of vegetables cost additional £1.50. (It said choice of 8 vegetables on the menu, but they had run out of broccoli & mash and there was not a sprout in sight.)

In this day and age with the emphasis on healthy eating, limited fats and portion control I found the idea of paying more for the healthy stuff irritating! Portions did not seem stingy on the day we were there and I have added a photo of my plate, for you to judge for yourselves. It looks a little colourless on the photo, but I think that was my flash.

On the whole, an excellent meal, with poor service.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

York, United Kingdom
“Great food and not expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was first visit to a Toby Carvery and it won't be the last. The meal was so good we returned the following evening. All the four roasts were very tender, with very generous portions, and there was a great choice of beautifully-cooked vegetables. The wine list was well priced too. Good food, and pleasant staff. The restaurant is next to the Holiday Inn Express, and just a very short walk to the Strathclyde Park.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SOUTH AYRSHIRE
“over rated and stingy with servings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

popped on the passing was taken a back with lack of parking due to the amount of people using the car park to go, into m&ds park.very dull resturant with a lukewarm welcome as it was sunday the only thing on the menu was the sunday cavery which was abit of a let down.waited 10mins in a queue to be served extremly thin slices of pork,gammon,turkey and beef then on to the rather dried up looking veg and potatoes,never seen meat get slices so thin in my life and for the money they charge.the beef and pork were rather fatty and the gammon salty and turkey cold.the waitress was very much rushing us to finish meal and leave the table.plus the drinks a tad pricey they took £2.05 for a 300ml can of irn bru.in a whole i wouldnt make a point on going back there cause its not vaulue for money and choice on a sunday menu.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow
“Was not what I expected :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My partner and I decided to eat out Tuesday night. We got in the car and went to the Carvery. There was a HUGH pot hole to the entrance to the place which we could not avoid hitting, not good! The car parking is very good.
We went in and went to the bar to order our meal (that's how they do it in other carvery's. We stood about 10 minutes and when we got to the bar they told us to stand over at the door for a table ( they could have just put a sign to let people know). We were seated at a nice table by the window. Our waitress was lovely and very helpful.
The chef was very stingy with his servings. I asked for only turkey and Gammon (no pork or beef). I got 2 slices of each but they we very small. The gammon was mostly fat, the turkey was lovely though. I must also say the Yorkshire pudding were GREAT! My partner had all four meats and his beef was all fat and grizzle but he did seem to have more meat than me on his plate! The veggies were nice too but the gravy was a bit watery as was the bread sauce. For an extra £1.50 you can double up (bigger plate).
I was very disappointed in this Carvery.
The Carvery at Drumchaple and Balloch is so much better.
I don't think I will be returning to Motherwell.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dunoon, United Kingdom
“Great Price Carvery - stingy with servings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Great priced carvery, with Yorkshire puddings, vegetables, mashed and roast potatoes,gravies and sauces. Pity about the really, really, tiny "pieces" of meat served. I have never, ever seen anyone slice roasts so thin, that they never manage to get even half the width of the roast, onto your plate. Even asking for the turkey, pork, and gammon, nobody got the equivalent of one slice of meat on their plate. All well cooked, and hot, but spoiled a wee bit, by lack of meat. Staff attentive and friendly.

Visited April 2013