Date of stay 18-20th May 2014
My last review of this hotel was in March 2012 and previously to that in March 2011.
This review is to hopefully act as an update to my last reviews. I currently stay at this hotel about 4-5 times per year. The Holiday Inn Express at Strathclyde remains a cheaper style outer circle Glasgow hotel, with easy 20-30 min car access to the city if required, it is also situated within a few hundred meters of Scotland’s only all year round theme park and sits next to Glasgow’s rowing / boating lake which makes an ideal walk or run of an evening. (for info the lake its about a 4 mile loop)
If you do choose to walk round the lake, on the right hand side there is an underpass which leads over to Hamilton (under the motorway) where there is a Cinema, Supermarket and further shopping outlets. (It’s about a 20-30 minute walk, about 2 miles)
The hotel was originally owned by the Six Continents Group and was one of the first Holiday Inn Express hotels that the founding group established, it has now been sold to a franchisee (like the majority of the chain) . Over the last few years the hotel has undergone a "makeover". This has resulted in a flat screen TV renaissance in the bedrooms, replacement of the lounge and dining room furniture. The all IMPORTANT free WiFi has been granted throughout the whole hotel since my last review
My ongoing experience of the hotel is as follows: On arrival at the hotel the check in staff are welcoming and friendly. Check-in is simple and easy. The reception area is the typical open plan bar, breakfast and dining area which is always well kept, tidy and clean. The rooms, are of brand standard and were clean and tidy and well maintained. A number of other reviewers have complained of the softness of the beds, however I found the bed to be just the same as every other hotel in the chain with no noticeable difference.
The hotel has a free car park which I have never encountered a problem with.
The breakfast (complimentary) is now the typical Holiday Inn Express “part English, part continental” which is a mix of croissant and pastries and or sausage, powdered scrambled egg mix and baked beans, with toast or bread option and machine orange and coffee available. A number of reviewers have posted that bacon is noticeably missing from the breakfast options, however Holiday Inn Express do not offer bacon as part of their branded breakfast, Bacon is available in the more expensive Holiday Inn chain.
The hotel does provide an evening meal service which I have not tried to date. As with most Holiday Inn Express’s they are happy to let you order food in from local takeaways (menus are available from behind the bar). Opposite the hotel is the "standardised" Tobey Carvery which is available apparently for "good food" but this review is not for that particular chain. Check-out is normally a pain free process with very helpful staff. You ask why I stay, the answer is simple, on the staffing front, as a seasoned traveller, a special mention to the following staff members, David from the breakfast team who always wears a smile and is always happy to say hello.
David (who was front-of-house staff then the Food Manager and subsequently the night porter) who over the last many years has been the heart and soul of the hotel for many a weary traveller sadly was not here on my visit (come back soon David)
Finally Isabella who is quite simply the nicest hotel Manager I have had the fortune to meet, so much so if I could copy her into every hotel I wash up in, I would. In summary I have sustained this review as a 4/5 for an older style looking Holiday Inn Express that has the extra special staff touch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 120 bedroom Express by Holiday Inn Strathclyde Park M74, JCT.5, is ideal for Corporate and Leisure clients, offering ensuite accommodation including Complimentary Continental Breakfast with selected Hot Items, FREE Car Parking spaces for upto 120 cars. We are on Jct 5 off the M74. The Express By Holiday Inn Strathclyde is located in the Strathclyde Country park with Motherwell Food Park with Companies like Honeywell and TNT close by. Hamilton,Motherwell and Eurocentral are within 5 minutes driving distance from the Hotel. Glasgow Airport is a 25 minute drive and Edinburgh Airport is a 40 minute drive from the Hotel.The Hotel is situated within the complex of attractions, such as Strathclyde Country Park with its Watersports centre, country walks and purpose built M & D's Theme Park (open all year round with FREE entry). Other places of interest are David Livingston Centre, the Time Capsule Leisure Centre and a Golf Course just 1.5 miles away. Glasgow City Centre is just a 25 minutes drive from the Hotel and easily accessible to Gleneagles and St. Andrews Golf Courses . There is a Bar/ Lounge available for resident guests from 11am to 3am daily and 2 Meeting rooms for upto 30 people offering all audio / visual equipment and business facilities. High Speed Internet Access available throughout the Hotel ( FREE in the Lounge Area.) Sorry but we Do Not Accept Pets! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park Hotel Motherwell
- Holiday Inn Express Motherwell
- Holiday Inn Motherwell
- Motherwell Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park Motherwell, Scotland