“Birthday Party!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Brampton, Ontario
“Birthday Party!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I live in Canada, but I was born in Strathclyde region (lived in Newarthill) but all my family remains in Newarthill, Carfin and Motherwell. Last year I came home for the first time in twelve years and was celebrating my mothers birthday and my own which are 3 days apart. My cousins suggested having our party lunch at this location. Since I would be paying for everyone there (12 people) I needed a place that had a decent menu and fair in price. I have to say that the place was busy when we were there and we still got decent service. My cousin is a teacher and teaches hospitality/cooking and trains people to be chefs and she had only few comments to it being a bit better, but overall said it was quite good. Also turns out that one of the chefs here she was at college with. I thought it was great. My mother has been living in England for several years and is now planning a move to Scotland again and I don't want to impose on my family two years in a row, so I have been considering staying at this place...i thought the food was okay, but now worried about the reviews...however since I was okay with the food and so many others are not...I wonder about those reviews on the rooms.....Maybe more to this review after the summer...I think only fair to give these guys a fair shake. This because I also run my own "Condos" in Florida and advertise on here and always appreciate my reviews.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

i got my grandparents vouchers for the hotel and they went yesterday for their lunch and had a lovely meal and said that it was nice and chilled in the restaurant so know what to get them next year.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had my daughter-in-law's 40th birthday celebration on Sat 29th Oct. for 33 adults and 2 children as having read a previous review was a bit apprehensive, I would like to say that the manager was very helpful and overseen the service of the meal which was served piping hot and the portions were very good, the children were well catered for and when the adults seen the ice cream dish that was served for the childrens dessert their mouths were watering. My only comment on the negative would be that some of the waiters/waitresses were a bit nervous which resulted in not very many smiles when serving but I am sure that can be rectified with some training and experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I tried to book a room in this hotel because we were attending a birthday party there. I was told through a booking agency that the hotel would be in touch. I am still waiting. Arrived at the Hotel and got the impression the staff were not interested and just did not want to be there.

At the reception we enquired about about two rooms which we got very easily considering they never bothered to answer my initial query. Again the receptionist was not that friendly or helpful giving my 83 year old mother a room on the top floor. We went for breakfast the folllowing morning at about 9.10am only to be told coldly it stopped at 9-00am which we were never informed about. Again the receptionist told us quite strongly we were wrong and insisted she did tell us the night before.

During the dinner the food was fine although the main course was served in two stages meaning the meat was getting cold before the vegetables arrived. Again it was evident that the staff were just not happy to be there and it was obvious that they were lacking in serving etiquette.

Will never be back there and never recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We booked a meal here for 16 people for my husbands 40th birthday and upon booking we were asked where we would like to be seated in the restaurant and requested the raised (slightly more private) dining area as we had a few children with us and felt they may have been in the way of other diners. Upon arrival we had been seated in the main dining area, backed against a wall!! When I went to reception to ask why we had been moved I was told that seating is never a guarantee. Why bother asking at time of booking? We were then given the menus to order. The kids were not given menus, when we asked for these we were informed of the choices for the children, which were basic and limited!! Chicken nuggets, fish fingers, a burger or sausage all with chips and beans and no desert!! My kids were not happy. We all order our meals and waited patiently. The kids meals were then served minus the beans, which the kids had asked for, we had to wait for these to be brought out separately. Most of the main meals were served relatively quickly but without the accompanying potatoes n veg which meant that we were waiting at least five minutes with half a meal. One half was then hot while the other half was cold. We were then served our deserts. There seemed to be a little bit of confusion here also as they kept bringing deserts to the table which we had not ordered. All in all this has to be the worst dining experience I have had for some time and neither myself or any of our party of 16 will ever consider dining here again!!

I can not rate the rooms as I have never stayed here.

• Stayed October 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

great hotel.
my husband and i held our wedding service and reception here.
can not fault staff, they were extremely helpful.
great food and excellent value for money, drink prices comparative with local pubs.
nothing was too much trouble for Joy and her staff, we had a perfect day and all our guests agreed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Rossendale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

Everything seemed to be done with cost as the priority. 2 out 5 light bulbs in the bedroom didn't work, the trouser press nearly fell off the wall and didn't work and whilst the bathroom was clean, the fittings were cheap but serviceable. The staff appeared be nice people but poorly trained in how to talk to a customer. Dinner was a disappointment but breakfast was a generous meal. For somewhere to sleep for the night it was good value but next time I'd try and eat out with a better menu, decent house wine etc.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Bentley Hotel? Share your experiences!