“Stay away from Haus Saron in Largs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Haus Saron

Haus Saron
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Largs
Haus Saron
You added Haus Saron to your Saves list
106 Greenock Road, Largs KA30 8PG, Scotland   |
Edinburgh
“Stay away from Haus Saron in Largs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

We were to stay in the coach house and were upgraded to the beech house, souds good, however it was terrible, broken cot and unsafe highchair for my 1 year old daughter to stay in. Wobbly sockets in the wall in the hall. Disgusting musky smell as soon as you walked into the appartment. Dust everywhere, cobwebs in the rooms. and to top it all off 2 slices of bacon found under the cushion on the chair!!! (perhaps that was the upgrade!!) Would not recommend it to anyone, infact would tell people to stay well away. When we told the owners he was very dismissive about everything - told us it was all cleaned and there were no cobwebs. Terrible place do not go!!! Actually cut our holiday short and left early as it was that bad.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — arriving at it
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HausSaron, Owner at Haus Saron, responded to this review, January 26, 2008
I am afraid that these comments are untrue - the cot was not broken , there were no sockets that were unsafe, there was no musty smell and the property was clean - there may have been a few cobwebs since being in a woodland setting spiders do appear and quickly spin their webs . There are always two side to the same story .

This lady actually admitted that she left early since she was bothered with an allergy . At NO time did she raise any of these issues with us during her stay - even although we as usual made contact with her after a few days in the cottage
Again we would welcome any independent inspection of the property by trip advisor . Most of our properties are graded 3 star by Quality Assurance Visit Scotland .

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canberra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

Booked the Coach House for a week over Christmas - it was tired and shabby. Got locked in!! Heating did not go on until 8.00am. Cooker and grill not properly cleaned not were the china or cutlery. It was a chore to ask for towels (we were there from Australia) and the whole thing was a gloomy experience. I note there are no more photos or descriptions of the Coach House on the site. We complained to the Scottish Tourist Board and the owner expressed his surprse! I suspect things have not changed. Poor lighting, saggy sofa and cramped bedrooms - would ever go there again.

• Liked — Close to family
  • Disliked — Being locked in and having to shout on the owners to get us out!!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HausSaron, owner at Haus Saron, responded to this review, January 27, 2008
Just spotted this review written 6 months after the client's stay
The Coach House
cannot possibly be "seedy and tatty " otherwise it would not have been awarded a
3 star grade by Scottish Tourist Board/Visit Scotland Quality Assurance two months later in February 2007.

This is an independent body which actually inspects the property using trained advisors and rate it on a 5 point scale . 3 Stars is very good .

We welcome any inspection by any other body including trip advisor

There was no reason for anyone to be locked in the property - the lock mechanism was operating normally

Again we sell in the region of 4000 bed nights per year over the past 15 years in
Quality Assured Cottages with very few complaints at all .

Who is telling the
truth ?

Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

Wow James I've read your review and can't beleive we stayed in the same place!

I booked Zion House last minute after doing a search on the internet. I thought that the price was very reasonable and was not confused by the picture of Haus Saron on the website as it does state quite clearly that the "Holiday Cottages" are set in the grounds of the house.

I went to Largs with my family; husband, son, father and elderly dog. We were there on a dual visit, watching my son play rugby and also working and as such needed somewhere comfortable to stay and work.

I found Zion House to be clean, quiet and very comfortable and that it had everything that we needed. Location is great, within easy reach of Largs centre yet set away from any noise

I was especilly impressed with the gardens and enjoyed many an early morning quiet walk in the grounds of Haus Saron with my dog. And yes I did encounter the doberman dog and was a little worried how it would react with my elderly dog but the doberman took one look at my dog, from afar ,then trotted off without any confrontation or barking what so ever. Infact I did not hear the dog bark nor did I see it being aggressive at all during my 6 day stay even though I did see it on a number of ocassions.

I hadn't realised that Zion House was an appartment but after checking the website this is clearly stated too and was obviously missed by me in my haste to find somewhere to stay.

As for the facilities, we found them to be as stated on the website. There was sufficent cutlery and crockery and all manner of cooking utensils and everything was in workig order. There was no mention of hairdryer or tumble dryer on the website so we did not expect these and the phone is a payphone as stated on the website.

The furnishings maybe a little dated but they are clean, comfortable and in good workng order and as such weren't a problem. I've stayed in Hilton Hotels, paying nearly £200 per night for a room and still not liked the furnishings, at the end of the day you are never going to please all the people all the time!

As for the owners, Mr & Mrs Marshall, I found them to be most accommodating and hospitable. I emailed them & called them with various enquiries and always got an acceptable and polite
response. I was especially grateful to them for posting back a number of items that I had accidently left in the house, I wasn't even charged for postage or packaging!

I would definately recommend these cottages to anyone wanting a peaceful and relaxing break.

keep up the good work!

J Edmondson

• Liked — Peace & Quiet
  • Disliked — Steep Stairs
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

The advert on the (--) site for this property is extremely misleading - to the point of breaking The Trades Descriptions Acts. The house shown on the website belongs to the owners and is NOT the property available for rent.

Zion House is not a House - it is an upstairs 3 bedroom flat - people should be warned of this! The flat below, another 3 bedroom flat is called Beech. Therefore the phrase “sole use of property” is untruthful at worst and misleading at best..

A very steep flight of stairs (not for the frail, disabled or elderly, or those with young children.) is not mentioned. The owners told us that it would be manageable by our elderly parents. Wrong! It exhausted them and spoiled their holiday - making most of it housebound.

Facilities;
Hairdryer - an old non-working model was in the hall cupboard.
Tumble dryer - did not exist.
Furnishings - Very old dated lounge furnishings and poor towels (the threadbare one given to me upon request gave in on first use). Considering the “flat” or House is rented to sleep 6 people, insufficient crockery or cutlery or glassware exists to serve a meal to 6 people.

Telephone - mention should be made of the fact that the telephone is a “payphone”.

Health Warning! Why is no mention made of a large barking Doberman hound allowed to freely roam the property’s Gardens. Being greeted daily (or several tiems each day by this dog is not for the squeamish or faint hearted. This surely is not acceptable? Nothing was done following my mentioning to the owner that the dog had barked at my frail mother and frightened her and almost knocked her off of her feet.

I would suggest that a Tourist Board Inspection is overdue! And that the star rating given to this property is adjusted downwards accordingly.

The owners were not present when we arrived - we were met by, people whom we later found out were “friends” - pity they didn’t tell us that at first meeting - and knew next to nothing of any arrangements!

Visitors…… please give this place a big miss - I assure you Scotland has many other fantastic and welcoming places for visitors, this place is not a good example of Scottish Hospitality!
James M Alexander

HausSaron, Owner at Haus Saron, responded to this review, April 29, 2007
Haus Saron has operated self catering cottages and houses for 15 years without any major complaint .We have only now been alerted to this complaint from jamesa1571

The house in question is inspected each February/March by the Scottish Tourist Board Quality Grading Inspection Team and over 15 years has consistently been graded 3 Star . All our advertising with STB/VisitScotland is subject to their scrutinity and is not in contravention of any legislation

To respond in detail . The house is clearly advertised on our website and with VisitScotland as being on an upper floor,.If the hairdryer was not working we were not informed, We do not advertise that there is a tumble dryer. The house does have sufficient crockery etc for 6 persons,Our advertising clearly states a payphone .The Doberman is a family pet seven years old and has met and greeted clients, children, family and friends without any problem during his lifetime

Unfortunately jamesa1571 did not raise any of these issues with us during his stay - so we were unable to respond at that time

We were inspected as usual in February 2007 and achieved yet again a 3 Star rating

Been to Haus Saron? Share your experiences!