“Waste of money!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Largs
Montrose
“Waste of money!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Recently attended a wedding and our room cost £175 as ee needed a Early check in, the hotel looks lovely from the outside but our room was awful, fir the money we paid I expected a lovely room with a high standard of cleanliness unfortunately that was not the case, we stayed in the Glen room which at first we thought was a cubard!!it was very basic with nothing giving us the wow factor for the room, there was names engraved into the bed frame when going for a shower I noticed something black coming off the seal of the tiles which was mould, this is a overpriced hotel and I wished I brought my issues up to the attention of management and got some of my money back, ill certainly not be returning!

• Stayed November 2013
managmentLargs, Manager at Brisbane House Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Sorry that you felt that your stay with us was "A waste of Money". We are a 24 bedroomed hotel and with a full checkout and full check-in we are unable to get all rooms ready before 2pm. We can however guarantee an early arrival for a maximum of 6 rooms for 12.30pm for which we charge a small fee (£20) in line with many other hotels.

If I may be permitted to breakdown your £175, less the early arrival fee your room for 6 guests (£155) equates to £25.84 including 6 full Scottish Breakfasts and associated laundry costs. No a bad deal by any standards.

The Glen Room has a four poster bed in one room with another separate sitting area, a large newly refurbished bathroom and 2 large 50" flat screen TV's.
Having examined the bed I found great difficult tracing names scored into the bed or mould in the refurbished bathroom area.
I am saddened that you stated you would have liked to bring this to management's attention but did not do so. I was available throughout the weekend and would liked the opportunity to respond.

Once again £175 for 6 people for a room on the seafront in Largs is indeed value for money

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed here on a special deal which was ok.
Room(106) quite small, with very noisy floorboards outside and above the room. Room clean enough, bathroom could do with a bit of an overhaul, mixture of old and new fittings. Did not like that the window had frosted glass for more than half of it, if you wanted to see out you would have to stand on chair.
Food ok, nothing spectacular, dining area quite cold décor, as was the room.
Staff were very pleasant and very helpful, nothing a bother.
Plenty of car parking.
With a polishing of the edges could be excellent as that's all it would need.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, it is good to receive feedback from our guests.
We have an on going refurbishment programme and have only 2 bathrooms to finish but being such a busy hotel we must prioritise our programme for quieter periods. Our final bathrooms are scheduled for early January.
We put frosted glass on the bottom pane of our rear facing rooms so that our guests can enjoy views of the hills behind rather that the houses behind the hotel.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I had no choice but to stay here alas due to circumstances. Having read some previous reviews I was already a bit hesitant when I turned up. I had booked a "deluxe limited seaview double room" for £90 via laterooms.

When I arrived I was greeted by a cheery lady who booked me in. She then breezily informed me that if I had phoned up direct rather than using a booking site I could have had a much cheaper rate but she now couldn't give me the said cheaper rate. No upgrade possible either! Why bother telling a customer such nonsense, it just put me in a bad mood. I had not pre-paid the room by the way.

And so up to the room. Nothing deluxe about it, a tired dismal room with half the lightbulbs not working, no surfaces to put washbags in the bathroom, a really noisy central heating system and a bizarre trapdoor in my room padlocked from the inside which rattled in the wind. Not entirely clean either. After going to sleep I was rudely awakened by one of the windows blowing open in the wind, someone must have shut it without locking it. I noticed I was sweating in that telltale way which means there is a rubber sheet on the bed. A quick inspection confirmed this. Classy!

In the morning I also discovered the bathroom had hot water pressure issues so it took longer to rinse off the soap.

Now if the room had been a fair price of around £50 given the location, season and quality of the venue I would have been a lot more forgiving. But £90 is just daylight robbery, and in fact their advertised rack rate was £130!!!!! They are trying to pretend that they are something they are clearly not, and I think that unless they stop and take note of this they are going to get more and more bad reviews. Either reduce your prices and rack rates to something that resembles reasonable value for money or refurbish the rooms and get them to the standard that a rack rate of £130 would normally get you.

The pervading smell the next morning of stale cooking fat dissuaded me from trying the complementary breakfast. The check out staff were very friendly I must admit.

Overall though I did feel ripped off.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
As a business traveller I am sure you will appreciate that in sought after locations room rates are higher, whilst in less sought after locations rates are lower.
I notice that you booked via a booking agency for a double room. Rates quoted on these sites are for 2 persons, whereas you required single occupancy, which on the particular site is £55 in a single room and then reception would have upgraded you to a double bedded room for the same price.
A simple call to reception would have sorted your lighting issues. Having received an complaint on the weekend regarding water pressure in the shower, I investigated and found a fuse had gone in the shower pump.

The hotel has the ability of 60,000 bed nights yet has received only 168 reviews of which 33 are negative.

It is often better to air grievances face to face rather than a public forum so that the hotel can be given the opportunity to rectify any issues
Glasgow, Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed here recently for a wedding, the room cost £90 plus £20 to check in at half 12. From the outside and downstairs the hotel was lovely but the room was really disappointing, it was small, looked out over the back of the hotel (for £90 you at least expect a sea view), the bathroom was dated, the bed side lights didn't work, there wasn't a hairdyer or an iron in the room either. Would stay again if it was cheaper but for the price it really could have offered a lot more.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckie, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here with my little girl, we had a twin room which was very spacious and clean with great views onto the beach. Spent most of our time in the hotel as the Scottish weather wasn't great, lounge staff and Manager were very accommodating, had a booth of our own all day with colouring in provided by staff and plenty of free mints!! Enjoyed a really lovely steak for dinner at extremely good price, certainly beat most steakhouses I have been in for quality and cost! Would definitely go back!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback during your recent stay with us it is nice that all our team's hard work is appreciated. Hopefully you wil return again in the near future
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This review is of the restaurant rather than the hotel, as I haven't stayed overnight there: however, we took an elderly cousin for an outing in Largs and stopped at the restaurant for lunch.

We were seated at a table with a nice sea view and the service was prompt.

The menu had a good choice of dishes and our cousin enjoyed her soup and fillet of haddock. The chips that accompanied my gammon steak were to die for: crispy outside, but lovely and fluffy inside. We rounded off the meal with some scrummy ice-cream.

The restaurant had a modern feel to it and the toilet facilities were also modern and very clean.

I would happily go back again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind feedback when dining with us. It is refreshing that people who enjoy their visit take the time to post reviews
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

stayed at the brisbane recently for a wedding which was lovely but a few points, rooms very tired, agree with other reviews room not that clean very dusty old dark furniture, wallpaper coming off wall, although our shower was ok I know that other guest had a trickle of water coming from theirs and took along time to shower. it was a hit and a miss with staff, like other reviews we were told to get out of a bar in the hotel, we were wedding guests and they are not allowed!! I do have to give a very special mention to Julie she was an exceptional member of staff totally undervalued, she couldn't of done enough for us, she was in the restaurant and then I saw her upstairs sorting out the bedrooms, she never seem to stop, they would be in big trouble if she wasn't working their, she needs to be appreciated more. I find this hotel is not value for money to be getting the prices they charge for the rooms available is terrible value and the reason they are busy is all down to people booking their wedding and guests needing somewhere to stay for the night otherwise they would be struggling.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Feedback of any kind is appreciated but it is nice if guest approach staff whilst staying in the hotel so any issues can be rectified.
I am sorry that the décor of your room was not to your taste and am pleased that your shower was satisfactory but if I may say we received no comments regarding issues with showers from other guests.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding Julie, she is a very highly valued member of our team.
We are one of the busiest wedding venues in the West of Scotland and all prospective brides ad grooms are given a full show round the hotel including bedrooms before they book and are satisfied with our facilities.
We had very favourable comments from the Bride on her departure for such a fantastic day

Been to Brisbane House Hotel? Share your experiences!