“Mclean I 1” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Largs
Kilbirnie, United Kingdom
“Mclean I 1”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Brisbane in Largs has had a lot of money spent on it and is really beautiful. The only down side is the fact I was driving so was drinking alcohol free Beck's Blue. Usual price for Beck's Blue is £3 for 6 bottles ie: 50p a bottle. I was shocked to be charged £3.60 for ONE bottle. Considering there is no tax on non alcoholic beer the mark up is 700%. This is a total rip off. So be warned stay off the Beck's Blue.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
managmentLargs, Manager at Brisbane House Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your visit with us.
Regarding the pricing of Becks Blue, I believe that this is in line with many other retailers in the area. I fully appreciate that you can buy bulk cheaper in the supermarket but licensed premises have certain overheads and the price customers pay for drinks reflects this.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I attended a wedding at the Brisbane House Hotel in Largs and were very impressed by the hotel and staff. The hotel itself is beautiful and very comfortable, and is situated on the sea front. The staff were very polite and attentive. The food was excellent and well presented. I can't say anything negative about this hotel and suggest that if you're in the area to visit even if it is only for lunch....You'll be impressed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Inverness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I travel a lot to follow my main hobby of going to gigs - and as I live off the beaten track, I am often on the road to Glasgow and all points south. Whenever I'm in or around Largs I make a point of visiting the Brisbane House: it's worth it for the excellent cappuccino alone! My review is prompted by my first overnight stay at the hotel, which was every bit as good as my passing visits. I knew I would be arriving late after a gig but that was no problem and I was made to feel extremely welcome at an hour when most people would be either asleep or grumpy! My room was exactly what I would look for in a hotel, but far and away the best aspect of the hotel in my opinion is its staff. Always friendly, they have the knack of getting the balancing act between not attentive enough and too attentive spot on! Compared with the characterless but functional hotel chains which proliferate, the Brisbane House is a breath of fresh air - literally in this case with its views out across the water. But don't just take my word for it: try it for yourself. I thoroughly recommend the experience.

Room Tip: In this size of establishment, I imagine all the rooms would be good - based on the one I enjoyed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed in Largs 1 night midweek whilst visiting friends early September. This hotel had mixed reviews and we were not sure what to expect. On arrival, we were pleased with the location of the hotel and there was ample parking. Upon checkin we were told we had a free upgrade to the honeymoon suite. What a welcome surprise.

The room was huge, 2 sea view windows, four poster bed and a sofa infront of the TV. Furthermore the bathroom was also sizeable with a jacuzzi bath, separate walk-in shower as well as optional blue lighting. All in all the room was well decorated and we wanted for nothing.

The hotel is right opposite the beach and we enjoyed a lovely walk in the afternoon and first thing in the morning. We did not eat at the hotel as our friends had booked a table at the local Italian Tony Macaroni, where we enjoyed great food and big portions.

The hotel was very quiet at night and we slept very well, despite the wind picking up to gale force by the morning.

We took breakfast at the hotel which was cooked to order. Breakfast time was busy but the wait was not long and the sea view made the time pass quick.

We would definitely stay here again when we next come to visit.

Room Tip: Paying extra for a sea view room is well worth it
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
East Kilbride, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I would just like to say how fabulous this hotel is. We had our wedding here on 31st May 2012. We fell in love with everything about this hotel, staff, rooms, scenery etc. We had to bring our wedding forward a year due to family illness, and Liz, the wedding coordinator could not have been more helpful. She went out of her way to make sure everything went without a hitch. The day went beautifully and she always made sure that I was ok at all times. The food was amazing, everyone complimented the food, and said how lovely everyone was. Breakfast was fantastic, great variety and fresh. I cannot fault this hotel at all, we had a perfect day and so did our guests. So much so that a few of our guests have booked up for a return visit, and we are also due to return next week for a night to celebrate our anniversary of being together. we cant wait to return and enjoy the hotel in a more relaxed environment. thank you all at Brisbane. see you soon.

Room Tip: View of the Firth if you can get it. Stunning.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Food was lovely and good value for money. Portion sizes are very generous and the waiting time was minimum, even though the restaurant was full.
Service was the only let down. Only two members of staff working on a busy Sunday night. We had to wait to be seated as the male was taking an order from a large table, which is understandable, the female was no where to be seen at this point. We were seated and the female came to take our order. She did not know the menu and we had to reopen them to point (not the best when the menu is so big...Awkward!) The waitress was not pleasant at all, didn't smile, didn't ask how our meal was, the usual things you expect from a service environment. Not very welcoming.
However we will return because the standard of food is so high . . . kudos to the chefs!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Stevenston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic night at the Brisbane hotel Largs, facilities were excellent, staff were very welcoming and friendly. The bedroom was first class, food was great. Most of all the Manager and his staff made you feel very welcome. Well Done to all Staff.
Will be back.
Brian Noreen Joe and Isla. Thanks.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Brisbane House Hotel? Share your experiences!