“Above and Beyond” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lossiemouth
Palo Alto
“Above and Beyond”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The charming ladies in the Brasserie provided me with a printout of the single malts and assisted me in some educational tastings. The superlatives however are accorded to the Chef who provided fresh local caught Haddock and chips, so delicious that I would drive 4 hours from Edinburgh to enjoy it again.
I mislaid my watch and the staff went beyond the call of duty to search upstairs and downstairs for my gold wristwatch and Hazel assisted by Jasmine Schoberth found it.
Many many thanks for that too.
The view of the ocean and golf course from our room was lovely too and we enjoyed watching the French Euro jets streaking across the sky.
Many thanks. We will be back.

Room Tip: There are NO elevators and lots of stairs. We did get help with our luggage. Travel lightly and en...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

At first glance this hotel looked great, till I arrived in my room. Door didn't open properly as the wardrobe (cupboard) prevented this. 3 coathangers (for a weeks stay) waited in there for me. Toilet had sliding door and was basically a cupboard with facilities. The decor was appaling. The breakfast were good although the water stains on the dining room wall were a bit off puting. Sad to say it flatters to deceive as from the outside through to reception it promises so much.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Renfrew, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here one night Bed and breakfast when visiting family in Elgin, we called into hotel day before stay to see if we could book an early arrival, the man who spoke to us at the front desk was so nice, he booked us in early without any charge, and he couldn't have been nicer. We also asked to pay for a late check out the morning after and again that was not a a problem and they dint charge us again, fantastic customer service!!
The room itself was in need of modernisation, and window was very tricky to operate. However was very clean and the bed was so comfy. We had great nights rest.
Breakfast the next morning was okay great value for what we paid! Buffet style. Again the staff couldn't do enough to help. The dining hall was in need of repair and modernisation, you could see some was taking place with new furniture.
We would stay again, Can not say enough how helpful the staff were. I hope they can afford to upgrade some of the rooms and facilities because you can tell in its day the hotel would have been something really special.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Biggar, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

had to visit Lossiemouth on business at short notice, and booked a seaview room here for a very reasonable £75. After i booked it had a quick look on tripadvisor and wished i hadnt, but it was only for 1 night - how bad could it be?
Bad. Although parking is advertised, there are only about 8 spaces and i ended up having to park out on the road.
The hotel has really seen better days, decor terrible, really old and tatty. Big room with a comfortable bed, but really in need of an update. However staff were nice and friendly.
Meal at night was just average. Prawn cocktail to start which was good. Main was rump steak and chips - meat very tough and took quite a bit of chewing!
Didnt have a great sleep - it was very noisy with what seemed like lots of folk tramping the corridors all through the night, sounded as they they were actually in the room. Breakfast was fine, but this is not a hotel i would chose to return to.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Warwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Good looking building from the outside and a very warm welcome from the recepionist. Good downstairs room and restaurant. Very average breakfast with some staff not as helpful as others.
Then the bedrooms AWFUL. We were 4 in our party and had to aske for a different room which we got but not a lot better. Very tierd looking, shower taped up so could not move up or down, and noot looking very clean. No were to hand or put anything. Wash basin outside the shower in the bedroom. Only 1 light in the ceiling and one table lamp in a large room. Very old TV which didn't work.

I understand that this hotel is part of a chain another of their hotels we had the misfortune to stay in Scotland. with exactly the same problems.

I don't know how most of the staff stay so helful and cheerful when they must be faced with customers complaining on a daily basis

Room Tip: Don't slepp in the bedrooms!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

In Lossie for a family gathering so we arrived on Sat dumped the bags and went out .Oh how I wish we'd had a good look round.The water stained wall going up the stairs to the second floor should have given us a clue. First impression of room 231 was poor .Old furniture, one solitary dim light bulb and 2 of the three beds sloping due to the bad floor. More like a school dorm than a hotel room. It's the first time I have had en-suite where the sink ( which was cracked) was in the bedroom at the opposite end from the shower room. The only saving grace was the sheets where clean and laundered but I really wish I had checked the toilet.
The cracked toilet seat, the hole in the crumbling ceiling, the mildew around the shower,and the dirt around both was unhygienic. Had I seen it prior to leaving for the evening I would have most definitely have demanded another room. As it was late, we were tired and it was only for one night we put up with it. Breakfast was ok although the staff couldn't be bothered to even ask us if we wanted tea or coffee and could barely raise a smile just a quick grunt of "room number". I realise check out is not the best time to raise concerns as there is not a lot the hotel could do to rectify the complaints, but the "cheery" receptionist could have least pretended to be interested instead of thrusting the managers e-mail address at me and telling me to contact him. She'd clearly heard these complaints many times before. My advice, until this place has had a total revamp go elsewhere it's awful.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the outside or the location it's not worth going in!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
aberdeen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel is a grand building from the outside. The lounge and reception area are very welcoming. However, our room was small and definitely in need of refurbishment.Tired would be a good word to describe it. The bathroom had poor quality furnishings, and there was a bit missing from the toilet roll holder, so the toilet roll was just stood on the top of the holder! I mentioned this to the girl when checking out, as I didn't want to make a fuss. When in the bathroom, you had to close the curtain otherwise anyone from the building across the street could see in the window, as it was a big window and just had normal glass in it. There were tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The breakfast was okay but they could be doing with filling up the orange juice container when it is empty well before breakfast time is over. The walls must be thin as I heard every resident who walked( and talked) down the corridor past our room at night I also had a rude awakening on the Saturday night at approx 1.45 a.m. when the person in the room next door had their door banged on for the delivery of their room service! The hotel is perfect for golfers as it is right across from the Moray Golf Club. However, I think next time I would prefer to stay in a place which offered me much more in the way of comfort.
On checking out, they had added a dinner to our bill, which we didn't have. The receptionist removed it from the bill , but it shouldn't have been on there in the first place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Stotfield Hotel? Share your experiences!