“Lovely Hotel & Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   69 St Leonards Road, Forres IV36 1DW, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Forres
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Asheville
“Lovely Hotel & Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a lovely visit at the Cluny Bank Hotel. The owners were most attentive. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The building and grounds are beautiful. Franklin's Restaurant was excellent! My partner loved the local fish dishes that were specially prepared. The chef went out of his way to accommodate my vegetarian diet which was greatly appreciated. He always tried to make food that was different, exceptional and very pleasing to the palate. We highly recommend this special hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
coleshill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

just got back we had a great time at the cluny bank hotel the staff were very attentive and could not do enough for us, we would recommend this hotel and we will go back again next year. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I can't praise this hotel highly enough. I had stayed in Forres about a year ago in a good but not outstanding hotel, so this time I decided to have a change. I was not disappointed. Friendly helpful staff and a warm welcome. I stayed in the McGregor room which was spacious, warm and comfortable. The evening meal was superb, better than I was expecting, having been disappointed before with the meals provided by some Scottish hotels. I love nouvelle cuisine and the portion sizes were just right for me but if you want large portions you might not be happy. The quality was excellent although a little on the pricy side. Cluny Bank excelled themselves with my breakfast. I had to get a very early train from Inverness so I normally would have missed breakfast. However I was told that I could have breakfast at 6-30 am if that was alright with my timings. It is so rare to have service like this. I really wish that I could have spent more time here. Don't miss it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel provides a very high standard of food and presentation combined with excellent service in an informal atmosphere and nice surroundings. Prices are reasonable , certainly not excessive .Both the evening meal and breakfast were of the same standards , well worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Lovely character hotel - family run very welcoming easy to find and perfectly located for us - room was spacious warm and comfortable - everything you need plus extras like fudge !

Didnt have dinner but breakfas was great - everything you coukd want

Late check out was Happily agreed to so we could have lazy morning

Woukd stay again with no hesitation

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

What can I say,just returned from two wonderful pampered nights at cluny bank,a truly hidden gem.I have travelled the world and stayed in many 5 star hotels.This I rank right up there Firstly our hosts Lloyd & Julia.! Julia definitely has a sixth sense every time you walked in the main house she was there to cater to every need from making you a drink,to taking it into dinner for you,to answering any question,and although Lloyd is super chef Julias fudge that awaits you in your room deserves a huge mention like I said package and sell. .The food is to die for Lloyd clearly impressed my partner who himself is a chef trained in Italy, and his desserts WOW!! and its worth it just to have his huge enthusiastic description of each one obviously made with love. And breakfast beautiful fresh fruits ,cereals,juices,then fully cooked breakfast,best black pudding and sausages I've had,or porridge with honey and whisky,kippers,choice endless.Now for our room we stayed in Balchins Den a little annexe attatched to main house our own little haven and a little back door leading to our own enclosed walled garden with a chimenia ,wood ,matches ,table chairs, lanterns with candles,like I said every little detail covered.I can not emphasise enough if you find yourself going to Inverness ,Forres, Elgin, anywhere nearby it is well worth seeking out and a lovely 5 minute walk takes you to the little village,although I would gladly have stayed in my hideaway for 48 hours,Thankyou Lloyd& Julia we shall return.xx

Room Tip: Balchins Den.own little hideaway & Garden
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is a gorgeous old granite building. The room is tastefully decorated and clean. We had the McGregor room which faces the garden/greenery. At dinner, we had the delicious tangy homemade tomato soup and fillet steak for the main course. The steak was done to perfection and served with a generous portion of side vegetables. For dessert, Lloyd, the owner/chef himself explained passionately every dessert that was on offer. The choice we made was the best dessert we'd had on our trip. Fresh strawberries and spiced rhubarb served with lavender ice-cream and a slice of beautiful homemade ginger shortbread. Lloyd who is very friendly & funny guy, is clearly very passionate about food and his cooking and as a result we had the most delicious dinner. The service during dinner was also superb! Breakfast was also top notch!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cluny Bank Hotel? Share your experiences!