“Lovely family lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Scotland
“Lovely family lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

So enjoyed lunch yesterday with my two brothers and wives at Knockomie - warm welcome and lovely food - would love recipe for my main course - open smoked haddock lasagne with poached egg.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Aberdeen
“Splendid evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Very surprised by previous comments. We were a party of six and the service, food and atmosphere were absolutely fine
We were warmly welcomed by a delightful South African lady and offered seats in the bar or reception area by an open fire - Scotland -February we chose the fire.
Aperitifs were ordered and delivered promptly and menus presented.
The dining room was pleasant -old fashioned ,yes but that is part of the charm of the place.
There was a limited menu featuring local ingredients but varied enough to please all of us .
We all had 3 courses and all professed themseves well satisfied , particularly with the slow braised beef which was superb.
Decent selection of reasonably priced wines and a very pleasant evening was rounded off with an entertaining chat with our waitress.

• Visited February 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Forres, United Kingdom
“Bland food, very disappointing, very over priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Ate here for my 40th very disappointed, house and setting as lovely as ever but food tasteless, I had the duck with truffle sauce, didn't taste of anything and duck a bit chewy, my mum had pork which was also bland and quite cold

For desert I had the frozen souffle, chocolate, which hardly tasted of anything again with a strange gelatinous slab on the side which looked lovely, marbled dark brown, but was just tasteless thick jelly

We did complain and they gave us so drinks for free but didn't make up for the dissappointment as it was supposed to be a special meal

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Aberlour
“Pretentious Nouvelle cuisine, poorly executed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

I had fond memories of this country house hotel from two decades ago and was surprised at how dowdy it has become.
I must emphasise that I did not stay the night, so I have only commented about the loungebar,sitting area,dining room and of course "The Loo's" with grocers' apostrophe.
I have marked the rooms and sleep quality with a rating of 4, thereby giving this establishment the benefit of the doubt regarding the rooms and sleep quality.

The decor downstairs is twee,tired,dark and languishing in a Laura Ashley timewarp circa the mid1980s. This place is begging for a decent interior designer who can spell correctly.

The hotel was similar to what I imagined the decks of the Marie Celeste to have been like(now I think I know why).

There was our small gathering and 2 waiting staff,no sign of a chef.No-one.

I had the Guinea Fowl stuffed with black pudding. The supreme of a Guinea fowl arrived overstuffed with a black overspiced mush,accompanied by two tiny slices of reheated roast potato and a 4 inch length of tough stringy leek divided in two.
All served on a huge plate that only emphasised the pretentious Nouvelle Cuisine,poorly executed.
Maybe it had all been reheated which may have explained the lengthy absence of the 2 staff and the non existent chef?

My friends had the steak and the chips, the few chips looked as if they had been refried several times.

I had chosen the chocolat fondant and was eagerly anticipating an unctious gooey chocolate confection,hoping the invisible chef was a keen dessert maker.
The dessert was true to form.Disappointing.
It was basically a small lump of very dry chocolate sponge baked in a ramekin.placed on a huge dish with a teaspoonful of icecream and a squirt of canned cream at the side.

Has the chef lost the will to live?judging by the offering served up on this occassion he needs to be coaxed back to life again and bring back the standard of food that Knockomie was famous for, previously.

I always remember the glorious views from this once lovely hotel and now it is like living next door to a sprawling council estate,with houses threatening to gobble up this hotel.
Let's hope they don't get severe indigestion,if they avoid the Guinea Fowl and the Chocolat fondant,they might just do so.

KnockomieForres, Owner at Scottish Highland Restaurant at Knockomie House, responded to this review, March 21, 2010
We have sent a message to this reviewer and asked them to contact the hotel directly to discuss these comments. We have spoken to other members of the lunch party who have said that they had a lovely lunch. The organiser was greeted by the owner on arrival.