“A "Must see" attraction but sadly marred by a staff member's attitude :-(” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rosslyn Chapel

Visit Rosslyn Chapel like an insider
Small Group
$48*
and up
Da Vinci Code and Scottish Borders Small Group...
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Roslin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Rosslyn Chapel, dating back to 1446, is just seven miles from Edinburgh city centre and is open to visitors all year. The Chapel's setting and the mysterious symbolism of its ornate stonework have attracted and intrigued visitors for generations. A starring role in The Da Vinci Code propelled it into the international spotlight. There are countless theories, myths and legends associated with the Chapel and our tour guides will be able to tell you more about these, and the building's history, when you visit. Please note that photography inside the Chapel is not allowed but there are no restrictions on outside photography. New visitor centre with touch-screen technology, letting you see the carvings close up; gift shop and good coffee shop. Full details of how to get here and what to see and do is on our website.
Windermere, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“A "Must see" attraction but sadly marred by a staff member's attitude :-(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have often dropped in at Rosslyn Chapel to watch the continuing refurbishment that is ongoing on this beautiful and intriguing monument to one mans vision.

On our visit on this occasion we were pleased that a lot of the scaffolding and the temporary "roof" structure had been removed allowing more of the original and refurbished chapel to be seen.

Also, the new visitors centre was open and looked very smart. The glass and stone contemporary design contrasted well with the that of the ancient chapel itself. The only part of the design that looked like it might need a rethink was the automatic doors which seemed to struggle to open when approached.

On entering the visitor centre we saw that the admission price was now £9.00 per adult, as we were only stopping for a brief visit I wanted to check with my wife that she would be happy to pay this. Money is always tight but we did appreciate how much it is a) a privilege to be allowed to see this monument and how much it takes to run/maintain and repair the chapel so did not resent the cost, I just wanted to make sure we were both happy to spend that amount.

My hesitation was obviously spotted by an older male member of staff who immediately approached us from the side of the barrier inside of the shop who said we needed to pay before we came any further (this was before I had made a move in any direction away from the tills. I politely replied to him "would it be OK if we just look at the shop?" (as I wanted to ask my wife about the cost out of the staffs ear shot). "No you need to pay now" was his unfriendly and blunt response.

I am sure the gentleman thought he was just doing his job but our visit was very much during the "off season" and the tills were not busy and I do feel as if we could very much have been met with a more friendly manner.

We paid our £18 and continued into the chapel and tried to enjoy the quiet ambiance of the attraction and spend some time admiring the sculptures and reading the very informative well placed plaques but I have to admit that all the time I felt a bit cross and on edge and just wanted to move on - which is a shame as the attraction is well worth a visit.

When we were leaving we saw another group who seemed to be having a similar altercation with the same man - all I overheard was the leader of their party saying something to the effect of they had lived in the village all their live and were bringing friends to the chapel and had never been treated like that before...

We will probably call in again on our next drive through Edinburgh as we do love the site, and assume that the same gentleman probably won't be there, but such a shame and an unnecessary attitude towards visitors.

• Greek first
London, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
“A must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a wonderfully preserved (well work is ongoing) piece of history, don't visit Scotland and miss stopping here. Every time I visit I see something new..
A short walk or even shorter drive is the village of Rosslyn, with a quaint tea room and hotels.
The staff are always helpful and knowledgeable in its history.

Visited August 2012
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“a little treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

beautiful visitor centre and lovely lunch, the guide was excellent and its clear a lot of work is going on to restore the chapel

Glasgow, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“New Rosslyn Visitor Centre”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

First of all, let me state that this is a wonderful place to visit more than once. If however, like me, you've been more than five times, then you might want to just visit the new café and shop area, instead of going around the chapel itself, particularly if you are passing through late in the afternoon. I tried to do this on a snowy afternoon on January 25th 2013. I didn't have the time to do another tour of the chapel, but I was in need of a comfort break, having just driven up from B'ham.

"No, sir, you cannot go into the shop to buy some gifts; you must buy a ticket to go on the tour", I was told when I arrived at the rather modern-looking entrance to the new visitor centre. "I don't want to do the tour. I need a hot drink, a toilet break, and I want to buy some items from the shop" - all of these requirements being tantalisingly within reach. "No, sir, we cannot allow you in without a tour ticket." "I don't want a ticket, I want to buy something from the shop and buy some refreshments from the café".
'You can't do that without a tour ticket!", came back the robotic reply.

I gave up and departed. Apparently, people were originally admitted to the café, but then sneaked off and went into the chapel without paying. So now we are penalised for the inability of the planners to come up with a building where visitors have an option to just buy refreshments and gifts without having to pay £9 for the privilege! Very badly thought-out, if you will excuse the oxymoron! Nil marks for the initiative that was not forthcoming from the attendants on that particular day. They weren't exactly rushed off their feet and we could have been chaperoned if need-be.

Not a welcoming experience and it needs a re-think if anyone has the will to do so, or are they now only motivated by money alone?

Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
“Beautiful..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you are nearby then you must see the chapel. The talk was very good indeed, although the place is surprisingly small it is very ornate and full of character. Lovely.

Visited May 2012