“Brilliantly entertaining and educational too!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Lasswade
Scotland
5 attraction reviews
“Brilliantly entertaining and educational too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Went to the butterfly world on a soggy day between Christmas and new year with two pre-schoolers. Was not sure what to expect but was very pleasantly surprised by what we found-whilst it is not the largest butterfly or reptile exhibit we have visited it was one of the best! The actual butterfly area is only medium sized but very busy with beautiful and tame exhibits, several of the larger butterflies actually landed on us, though not for long enough to get any photos! The kids thought they were super, and spent ages trying to catch them. Lot of information on life cycle, feeding habits etc.. Nice warm climate, well adapted to the exhibits.

Moving through to the reptile area, the leaf cutter ants are fascinating and have a large rope route to traverse just above your head so you can watch them in action.

There are regular 'animal handling' sessions which are worth the entrance fee alone. Whilst there we held a tarantula (much less creepy than expected), a giant millipede and a python. The lady giving the talk was informative, great with the kids, entertaining and very confident in what she was doing and saying.

So not only an unusual activity, but an educational one as well, i really felt as though I had learnt something new. The girls loved it, we would go back in a flash! Would recommend to anyone.

Visited December 2012

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Great place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Whether your going here with children or just going yourself you can spend a couple of hours in here, I love taking photos in here. I personally prefer the part with the butterflies rather than the bit with the snakes and lizards. Good value and you can get your hand stamped so you can wander back in if the kids want to play on the swings which are just outside.

Visited October 2012
10 attraction reviews
“A fascinating place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I got over my phobia of spiders here by allowing a tarantula walk across the palms of my hands. I can quite honestly say that my terrifying fear left me as soon as the spider stepped onto my palm. My husband couldn't believe it!!

Visited October 2012
dalkeith
3 attraction reviews
“Not worth the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Although interesting, really quite small inside. viewing of animals and insects was spoilt by other pushy adults blocking the view of children.

Visited November 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
“Must go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

A truly delightful visit. We especially loved the butterflies - one settled on my nose whilst my wife tried (unsuccessfully!) to photograph it. There is a magical display of ants, going to and fro on two ropes, foraging, at a level where you can touch them...at your own risk!