“Still fabulous” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub, Gastropub
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Still fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I was the first person to review this pub/restaurant, doing so in July 2013. My friend and I made a return visit this year, and were delighted to find that things hadn't changed. We had lunch on an outside table in glorious sunshine, and life seemed just about perfect. I had the steak burger and it was absolutely wonderful. I was pleased to see that there were a lot of diners there and the car park was nearly full (though it also serves visitors for the adjacent, magnificent glen) so hopefully business is booming. I was very surprised to just read a previous posting where a diner had a bad experience, but very much hope that it was a one off, and he gives it a second chance. We personally have found the service to be extremely friendly and efficient on both occasions we've visited. I definitely hope to go back for a third helping in the future.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Douglas, United Kingdom
“Big let down.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

My wife and I recently went for a midweek lunch at the waterfall and unfortunately we're most disappointed with the food and the service. I had been for a couple of drinks a few months previous and met with the landlord who was an excellent example of a great landlord, unfortunately on this visit he wasn't there. The staff to begin with were very friendly. We had the steak pie and the steak burger.

Steak pie - chunks of meat in bisto, no evidence of any stock veg in the pie and topped off with a pre-cooked (who knows when) pastry lid.
Steak Burger - Burger was the right size but was completely over seasoned with dried herbs and garlic powder and completely overcooked. It was meant to be on a freshly cooked bun but alas it was in a bought bun with way way too much salad.
Both dishes served frozen chips. Come on folks, manxies love real chips.

Altogether very disappointing and top it off we had a fine helping of terrible service. As soon as my wife expressed her disappointment in the food the waitress was immediately on the defensive. If customers aren't happy, acknowledge their unhappiness and offer to rectify things, don't argue with the customer then head into the kitchen to slag off the customer with the kitchen staff within earshot of the customer!!! Ring any bells readers??!!

2 stars, one for the lovely ale on offer and one for the landlord I met on the previous visit. A real shame because the Waterfall is one of the best pubs on the island when run well.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wokingham
“A legend returns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The waterfall has been an institution, used to have people queuing in the 90's for its fish and chips. Glad to say it seems to be returning to its former glory.
We went a couple of days into the new year on a Thai night with a voucher from isle of man deals.
The service was good, there was still a small normal menu on offer despite it being Thai night so we indulged in the fish and chips. The batter was fresh and light. And there was plenty of it. One of the party had Thai food and commented on how good it was.

Will be back when back on the island.

Onchan, United Kingdom
“Great Pub, Great Food & Great Personnel, especially EDDIE.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Rather rare on the Isle of Man to find a real fire / log burner. We visited for late afternoon food which was 1st Class. Honestly the BEST TOMATO SOUP EVER. The Thai Curry was superb, basically it does what it says on the tin.
Compliments to the chef Eddie especially for a warm greeting & manner while nothing is to much trouble....
The area is Glen Maye
Check them out on Facebook for the very latest...
-:)

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Douglas, , Isle Of Man
“Very enjoyable experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We visited this restaurant for lunch today with two friends. The menu was very good with choices to suit everyone - service was good too even though the place was nearly full. Our server was really very friendly and efficient making sure we had everything we required. The food was lovely - very tasty and presentation excellent! On leaving we were presented with two 10% discount vouchers if we return within four weeks - which was a pleasant surprise!

A very enjoyable experience indeed and I'm pleased to be able to recommend this restaurant! Looking forward to our next visit - which I think I can safely say will be within the next four weeks!!

• Visited October 2013