“Lovely, friendly B&B. Highly recommend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Arran Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whiting Bay
Royal Arran Hotel
You added Royal Arran Hotel to your Saves list
Shore Road, Whiting Bay KA27 8PZ, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Whiting Bay B&B and Inns
Nussbaumen, Switzerland
“Lovely, friendly B&B. Highly recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

This is a lovely B&B in a house with loads of charm. Adele was a wonderful host. During our first breakfast she pulled out a map of the island and gave us tips on places to see. Unfortunately, I fell sick during my stay and Adele really tried to make things as comfortable for me as possible with a hot water bottle in the evening and offering her answer to upset stomachs for breakfast (sliced apple with sugar). We felt really welcome and looked after. The rooms are spacious and comfortable - the upstairs room with view across to the sea is a dream. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Great location and views across the shoreline to Whiting Bay. Take your binoculars to breakfast and watch seabirds and the occasional seal..or otter if you're lucky.
Breakfast is scrumptious and do have porridge. Rooms are very comfortable, clean and well thought out, with lots of good touches you don't notice at first.
Adele and Peter are great fun, lovely hosts and get the balance just right; they also know all the good restaurants and places to go..
We have no hesitation in recommending The Royal Arran and look forward to going back when we get the opportunity. Delightful place and people.

• Stayed August 2011
Eastbourne, East Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This hotel B&B is owned and run by Adele and Peter, who have moved to Arran to enjoy a different kind of life.

There was nothing whatsoever that Adele of Peter could have done to make our stay more comfortable. We arrived with wet washing that I hung out in the bathroom (as we hadn't managed to get everything dry after a quick visit to the launderette on the mainland after the first half of our trip sailing. Adele noticed, took it all down, tumble dried it and placed it in our room with a note (hope you don't mind!!) all folded beautifully by the time we had returned from dinner. I guess some people would have just asked, but I didn't like to - however was very grateful.

Breakfast was absolutely superb. Much more than I could eat, but fruit (beautifully presented) yogurts, cereal, scottish cooked breakfast, coffee made just perfectly ( I am very fussy with my coffee)all in a breakfast room where views of Holy Isle and the beach gave the eyes plenty to feast on.

Both Adele and Peter know the area very well and could not have been more helpful with bus timetables and connections - Adele even offering to drive us to Brodick. There was plentiful supply of any tourist info you could want and honestly anything that someone might need.

We had the garden room, which had a lovely patio and stable door. The flowers were beautiful and the view of the sea lovely. I was sitting quietly and a small Robin just landed by my shoulder on the fence. Really lovely.

There are lots of nice little surprises and nice touches which I won't give away - but all went a long way to justifying the £110 per night (for two of us) and I haven't even mentioned the location yet.

The only negative thing I could mention from my stay here was that I didn't sleep too well. At home we have a kingsize with memory foam mattress and our bed was smaller and springier. However, beds are a personal preference and that whatever there is I know that you can never please everyone all of the time. By the end of our stay we had got used to it - and of course the crisp clean sheets and lovely throw and duvet really were lovely.

On last thing to mention - The living room. We bought books and magazines, a bottle of wine from The Royal Arran (presented beautifully with crystal glasses), sat ourselves down on the two lovely sofa's looking out to sea just reading and chatting and drinking. The sofa's were so gorgeously comfy and it felt like such a treat. We had eaten early for two evenings came home and just relaxed. This was just heavenly. Great views, comfort, great wine and quiet. Really nice memories.....

Room Tip: Garden room if you want outdoor space or have problems with stairs
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lybster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Fantastic hosts, very welcoming and all the little touches made it very special for a honeymooning couple. We even had our breakfast table covered in rose petals on our last day. The bedtimes stories and the treats for the day were brilliant. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The four poster room is beautiful
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I can thoroughly recommend this beautiful hotel where I stayed for 2 nights whilst on a walking holiday in Arran. Adele and Peter are wonderful hosts with a fantastic attention to detail. I was welcomed on arrival by Adele and by the time I had finished unpacking she had set up afternoon tea for me on the lawn! The room was lovely - spotlessly clean with a view of the sea (the views from the hotel are stunning) and a locally made chocolate on the bedside table! The breakfasts each morning were delicious and filling and afterwards Adele gave us a freshly baked cake to take away with us for the day! A good example of how well they look after you came about when I returned from a wonderful but wet walk around the coast. Adele must have spotted me returning and by the time I came through the door she had brewed a hot cup of tea for me to take to my room! Thank you to you both for a great stay - I'm looking forward to coming back already!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Canmore, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

My wife and I are Innkeepers in Canada so we tend to be a bit discerning in our travels and this property was excellent. We spent 3 days exploring the Island and would highly recommend anyone heading this way to head here. We had the added bonus of a ceildh (spelling?) which happened at the Eden Pub just south of the Inn on a Sunday afternoon which we still talk about to this day, food average, but atmosphere when the music is on is off the scales. Rest of the island is excellent with good restaurants, excellent microbrewery and distillery of scotch, great hiking trails and an amazing little shop on the west side of the island selling stunning sweaters and knitted products (sorry to them in advance for not remembering your name, but please take the time to find this spot up a dirt road for about a kilometer with a small cafe attached, we bought two fabulous sweaters knitted by locals, yes Mrs Fraser knit one of ours!!) We would easily spend a week here next time, after spending 3 months in Europe this was one of our highlights, looking forward to our next visit and the perfectly poached eggs!!

Room Tip: they all seemed good, we were on the main floor and were offered the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jsy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Just spent 5 nights at the Royal and it was just superb. Adele and Peter are great hosts and couldn't do enough for us. They set high standards for themselves and delivered on all fronts- the attention to detail was exceptional - the rooms and bathrooms are pristine and the breakfast was great. On top of that, Adele did a superb job of making us feel really welcome.
It is the best value for money hotel we have stayed in and would recommend it to anyone visiting Arran.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Royal Arran Hotel? Share your experiences!