“Perfect for our needs” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Leven
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“Perfect for our needs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We three golfers stayed at this hotel as our base of our regular "Scottish golf tour". On arrival, Paul greeted us and wished us a pleasant stay at his hotel. It certainly was a pleasant stay. The management and staff made us very welcome and genuinely asked if we were enjoying our tour on each and every day of our five-night booking, enquiring as to our itinerary that day and making sure that we were happy with everything. The food was very good and served consistently well cooked (breakfast each morning was a particular joy with such friendly and cheerful staff as well as the usual interaction with other residents of the hotel). The accommodation was very clean and comfortable and more than adequate for our needs - and the liquid nectar in the bar was very tasty. We would certainly stay there again if in the area on any future tour. Thanks Paul.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Shotts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We arrived for an over night staff and were meet by Paul, who was very friendly and let us go through the function room as it was raining when we walked round from the car park. He booked us in very quickly and was friendly and efficient. He asked if we wanted to book a table for dinner but as we were unsure about where & when we were going to eat we said we wouldn't bother at that time. He then gave us the names of two restaurant staff to ask for and said they would be happy to get us a table if we decided to eat in the bar. Our twin room was a decent size with plenty of storage space and coat hangers ( a pet hate of mine is too few hangers). The bathroom had a bath and over the bath shower. There was the usually hospitality tray, unfortunately it didn't have sweeteners or decaf coffee, but it did have 2 different packets of biscuits. We decided to eat in the hotel (no suitable restaurants in Leven) and enjoyed our "pub grub", a starter of prawn skewers and then a hearty main of chicken breast, half rack of ribs, corn on the cob, coleslaw, peas, tomato, onion rings and chips. At £10.99 this was good value. We were too full to have a dessert. Breakfast the next morning was the usual, cereal and orange juice, There was no fresh fruit or tinned grapefruit,. The was the usual cooked breakfast with plenty of toast. I left my camera in the room and we had to return to get it. The gentleman on reception was very good and re programmed an electronic key so I could go back to the room and check for it (it had fell down behind a chair). All in all this was a good stay in a 3 star hotel at a reasonable cost

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are very much focused on both value for money and quality service. We will be reviewing the refreshments in the rooms and hope to see you again soon,
haarlem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I recently booked this hotel for a family wedding and we could not fault the amenities,staff and our overall experience in this hotel.I had previously lived in the area many years ago but had never seen these hotel facilities.My husband and I were both more than pleased with our room and after having stayed in many other hotels with higher ratings I think we know what to expect from them.So thank you to the receptionist and all the other staff who made us feel very welcome and we will definately use this hotel again.I can only say of the other review that maybe not all the rooms are of the same standard.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

The rooms are badly in need of refurbishment, the bathrooms have that "unusual" black and white sealant around the shower tray. I booked well in advance a room with a double bed and on arrival was given a room with a single bed. When I complained the member of staff dealing with me just kept repeating " we're fully booked" even when I pointed out that I had booked the room six weeks earlier! After a further shrug from the charming receptionist I gave up and cut my booking from 4 nights to 1, which after staying in the room was a blessing. The food was average pub standard. Poor standard of service from a brewery owned hotel, who should know better. P.S. Don't get suckered into paying the on display rack rate - nobody does.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Clackmannan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My husband and i were travelling through Leven last sunday t5 and decided to go for a meal
as we were both very hungry.as it was sunday we thought good we will have a sunday lunch, but when it arrived about a 25 minutes later we had already finished our wine to accomampany our meal.and when it did eventully arrive it was a utter disgrace the chicken was dry as a stick and veg was cold and the chips that i had were hard in the middle.as for my husbands roast beef dinner he told me his veg was also cold and the gravy too.least to say we will never be back.As for the people said that they enjoyed there meal they must be used to eating out of packets and dont do any cooking for themselves.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Bristol, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Caledonian on a visit to her family and booked them weeks in advance, advising them by email that she is Coeliac and needs a gluten-free diet.

When she went to breakfast though she found that the message had not been passed to the 'chef' - who could not have cared less, by the sound of it! - and it was left to the waitress to cook some potatoes for her breakfast.

What made it more incensing was that her elderly aunt, whom we were visiting in Leven, had managed to get hold of gluten-free crumpets in the local supermarket without any difficulty.

Poor show, Caledonia!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

I stayed here for one night on business and found it OK. The town of Leven is clearly somewhat depressed and this was echoed in the hotel's condition. The main part of the Hotel is a 'chain' pub which is quite rowdy. On arrival there was no one in reception or answering the bell or the telephone and after 15 minutes waiting I carried my bags into the bar to ask the barmaid to find someone.

Tthe room I had faced over the central street with a view of the kebab shop and the Krazy Korner Kafe. I would imagine on a Saturday or Friday night it could get quite noisy. The bathroom was a bit grubby and both the reading lights over the bed were loose and didn't work. The bedroom and bed were clean and comfortable however. I asked for a wake up call which never happened, fortunately I had my own alarm set as well.

I only had a light breakfast, but the full breakfast looked quite good including haggis and black pudding and all in all considering my company only paid £40 for the night including breakfast I'd say it was about the right price for the type of place. There is ample free parking nearby and the Internet is free which is always a plus for business stays.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!