“Lovely pleasant meal.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Scotland
“Lovely pleasant meal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a really nice meal, with high quality ingredients, very pleasant staff and surroundings. Good choice of food at reasonable prices, nice atmosphere, welcoming attentive staff, without being smothering. Very happy top recommend.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
“Anniversary meal to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Hubby & I booked a table to celebrate our anniversary. Located in Newton of Falkland it is a bit removed from the usual tourist attractions but well worth seeking it out. It is about 1 mile from Falkland where the Royal Palace is situated.
On arrival we were invited to take a seat on the comfy leather sofa & armchairs beside the fireplace. We ordered drinks & perused the menu and began to unwind. The antique decorations, copper & brass kitchenalia, piano & olde worlde decor transported us back to a relaxed, no hurry atmosphere.
Unusually we both ordered the same starter, smoked mackerel fillets. These were served with salad leaves decorated with peppers, cucumbers, celery & slices of hard boiled egg. Very tasty & salad was obviously fresh & crisp. Hubby ate both the bread rolls and declared he couldn't wait for the main course!
We had ordered the Chateaubriand (to be shared between 2). This was flambed at our table making our mouths water with anticipation. It was served together with a huge platter of vegetables, including cauliflower, broccoli, courgettes, carrots, mushrooms, tomato, sweetcorn, boiled potatoes & croquettes. The steak was absolutely incredible! This is the most tender, melt in the mouth, heavenly steak I have ever had! (and yes, I have had Chateaubriand before). The meal was delicious, the service was faultless, the waitress was friendly & attentive but not intrusive. I wish I could tell you about a dessert but we were both so full we simply could not eat any more.
Over coffee we were planning our menu choices for our next visit - got to be the beef falstaff for me! But I really would like to try the cherries jubilee (I really like flambe) so might skip a starter next time! The dishes are cooked to order so you can tailor your choices to your individual tastes - a very welcome option.
The cost? Hubby paid but about £65 including drinks & coffee. Value for money? Definitely - and more importantly my scrooge hubby thought so too!
Perfect evening? Not quite - the temperature was on the chilly side but maybe I should have taken a cardigan with me!
Strongly recommend this place if you want excellent food & fantastic service, but please note it is quite small so you might want to book a table in advance. They also do lunches & high teas - I will have to try those out too!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“First class food and service every time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a great eating out experience and very reasonably priced. The staff have always made me feel welcome. The food showcases some of the best produce Scotland has to offer.

Looking forward to my next visit when I visit Scotland again next April.

• Visited July 2012