“LOVELY WELCOME EXCELLENT FOOD” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 45 Restaurants in Musselburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Description: About Gurkha’s"Better to die than be a coward" is the motto of the world-famous Nepalese Gurkha soldiers who are an integral part of the British Army.The potential of these warriors was first realized by the British at the height of their empire-building in the last century. The Victorians identified them as a "martial race", perceiving in them particularly masculine qualities of toughness."If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha." -Sir Sam Manekshaw “There is No safer place to be then with Gurkhas” -Prince Harry
scotland
“LOVELY WELCOME EXCELLENT FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have been here for lunch and supper and both were excellent. £7.95 lunch which was more than enough to eat. The wine was a bit expensive however I thing the manager is looking into reducing the price. Last time I went was with friends for my birthday and the staff produced a lovely chocolate cake and sang happy birthday which was a lovely touch. The waiters are friendly and cant do enough for you. The restaurant is spotless, and the toilets very modern and clean. We eat out a lot and I have to say the food is second to none! Good luck to you all in the Gurha I hope you do really well.

Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“Nepali's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I ate quite some Nepali food in my life, during a time living in Nepal. The food served at Gurkha Bar is definitely authentic and excellent in taste. Amazing to find such a place here in Musselburgh! People who had difficulties with the service I suggest to communicate, the staff was very willing to help or advise in respectful manner. I believe that's service too!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scotland
“great new restaurant in Musselburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Nice welcome, great service and very nice food. I would definitely recommend to friends and family, We love Indian food, Actually we love food from all over the world ... so its nice to have an Indian with Nepalese for a wee change, diffidently be back.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Need to sort out several niggling issues to stay in business”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our table had been booked a week in advance by a face to face booking made at the restaurant for 7:30 on a Saturday evening.
When we arrived and confirmed our booking we were met with blank looks by a very young looking waiter,after standing around wondering what to do he pointed to our table right at the door.There were four of us,two couples,oddly it was a six seater table set for four but placed as three on one side and one alone on the other side,confused by this set up we stood looking at it and asked for confirmation that this was our table?
He confirmed it was,we went to sit down only to discover that two of the seats were jammed so close to the bar area that when we tried to sit down arms and elbows were jammed up against the bar.We saw a table for four being vacated and asked to move however another waiter was placing one couple at that table.I decided that if we couldn't move to a roomy table for four we would need to rearrange the table for six that we were at,on doing this the waiter came over and asked what we were doing,I told him that the table was oddly set up and there was no room at the chairs jammed up against the bar,he accepted my reasoning and left us to readjust the entire table to a more comfortable seating arrangement.
Ten minutes after arriving we finally got settled at the table,then had to ask for a full set of cutlery as there were only three sets at the table.We sat without any waiter coming back to the table and at 8pm we asked for food and drink menus,the drinks did arrive at the table quickly,beware the drinks are very expensive!£5 for a beer or cocktail and £4 for a non alcoholic cocktail.We had one soft drink each then asked for tap water.
We had to call on the waiter for our food order to be taken,the young waiter went away and an older waiter came to take our orders,by this time I was close to suggesting we leave.
Starters were all beautifully presented and tasted very good,sadly we waited almost an hour between the starters and main course arriving at 9:15pm so we were hungry again by the time they arrived.I had chicken achari,very tender,very tasty but more sauce than chicken,standard pilau rice and a rather oily chappati,a side of tarka dhal that was a bit tasteless.The men paid the bill so I don't know what the end damage was but my partner never left a tip,a sure sign that he was not happy with the service.
All in all,decent food but far too long a wait to eat,booking system seems flawed as later my friend told us that when she booked the man who took her booking just tore off a scrap piece of paper and wrote her booking on it (?) Odd system that could easily falter as we experienced.
They need to get their seating arrangements organised as there were several couples sitting at tables or booths that would seat four,and we were sitting at a table for six,although it would have been very uncomfortable sitting six with the bar area impacting on the space.Drinks all way to expensive and people in to collect take away crowding at the door cause access difficult for the waiters to serve tables and diners to get to and from the toilets if sitting at the door area.
Several of the waiters seemed to have virtually no understanding of English or be able to speak it as I noticed it was the one waiter who was taking all the orders at the tables and the other waiters were bringing the food but it proved difficult to determine whose meals were whose as there were definite barriers to language.
The Gurka also advertises itself as serving Nepalese food as well as Indian,they need to increase their Nepalese dishes significantly as there are only a couple currently available,Indian restaurants are ten a penny and competition is stiff even in a wee town like Musselburgh with at least two other well established Indian restaurants in the town,if the Gurka want to maintain a profile they need to let their menu speak for the Nepalese claim.
I would consider using their takeaway service as they food was nice but I wouldn't rush back to dine there.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
hiiSushil, Manager at Gurkha Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Appologies for the inconvenience occur with you in our Restaurant. Heartly appriciated your comments and thanks for giving your valuable time and showing the love to us for our existence.
“Wonderful food great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

The service starts before you even get in.
The door is held open for you as you're welcomed in.
Free pappadoms with chutney that was delicious.
The drinks came promptly a large Nepalese lager that went down a treat.
Our food was wonderful perfectly cooked with just the right amount of heat (chillies) The waiter was polite and attentive without being overbearing.
We would go back any time.
And will do the next time were in town.
Keep up the good work guys.