“Budget lodge accommodation.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Edinburgh Lodges

Save Saved
You added Edinburgh Lodges to your Saves list
Edinburgh Lodges
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Edinburgh Lodges,, Musselburgh EH21 8PY, Scotland   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Musselburgh B&B and Inns
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
“Budget lodge accommodation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Edinburgh Lodges for a friends wedding at Carberry Tower. The tower itself is stunning with friendly staff, great food and just generally an amazing wedding venue. The lodges on the other hand were a real dissapointment.

We were aware the lodges would be basic as they were cheap but I was surprised at quite how dated and in need of work the room was. The bed was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever stayed in with wafer thin pillows and a mattress like rock. The extractor fan in the bathroom was so noisy and remained on for 10 minutes plus after switching the light off so we resorted to using the mirror light to reduce the noise. Our room was located on the ground floor and you could hear every movement from the people upstairs it was like a stampede.

So I've been pretty negative so far so I'm going to try and focus on some plus points. There are two lodges - G & J and I would recommend staying in J as it has been decorated more recently and the rooms were much better than G which was the lodge we stayed in. The rooms were a better layout allowing for more space and the furniture, fixtures and fittings match rather than looking like they come from a charity shop. The rooms are cheap - we payed £50 a night in comparison to the cost of staying in Carberry Tower if you are on a budget (although no comparison as the rooms at Carberry Tower are amazing)The breakfast is quite nice if it is included but not worth £12.50 pp for full Scottish or £7.50 for continental if you haven't got it included.

I would 100% recommend Carberry Tower as a venue however I would be prepared if staying in the lodges as the undecorated ones are really disappointing.

• Stayed June 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Corning, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

When we first drove into the parking area, we thought we were in the wrong place - there was what looked like palace, not a lodge. The lodges are down the driveway to the left. We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who told us although we were booked for the lodge, we had access to hotel services. Our rooms were clean and comfortable,although my second story single had a sloping ceiling that made it seem a little smaller. After dinner and some local touring, we went to the hotel bar for a nightcap where we were served by a very hospitable bartender who engaged the night receptionist with us in very interesting stories of the place. The hotel, we were told, was the former palatial home of the Queen mother Elizabeth's sister. Edinburgh Lodges is conveniently located near the A720 City of Edinburgh Bypass for an easy 20 minute drive, with several service stations enroute to fuel up, around Edinburgh to the Edinburgh airport, which was important as we had to fly out the next morning. I would definitely plan on staying at Edinburgh Lodges on a return trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Redcar, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and her elderly parents stayed one night at these lodges. Initial problem was that although a single and a double were booked they were presented keys for two singles! They were then told that the only room that could be made available was out of service due to a damaged shower curtain/rail. On inspection it was decided to accept the room as it was only for one night. This room was allegedly a 'accessible room' but the bed was up against a wall and therefore my 92 year old mother-in-law had to disturb my 94 year old Father-in-law to get up during the night.
In my opinion they should have been some reduction in price for the poor service/accommodation considering they accepted a room that was technically 'out of service' anyway. We had been planning on using these lodges more often as they are close to relatives, but this will not happen now, we will be resorting back to the nearby Premier Inn.
Also no food was available due to a wedding at the hotel part.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Musselburgh hotels

Dartford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Edinburgh Lodges are located in the grounds of Carberry Tower Hotel, a very impressive period property. To stay at the hotel is expensive but the Edinburgh Lodges are a 1/4 of the price and you get full use of the hotel. We travelled as a group of family and friends for a wedding in a nearby castle and were looking forward to eating at the hotel after a long journey and to use the facilities. When we arrived we were told the hotel had exclusive use and we were not allowed to use any of the hotel's facilities or the bar, this exclusivity lasted until after breakfast the following day so we could not have a family breakfast together at the hotel either. The hotel should have told us about the exclusive use before we arrived but they failed to do so. It may be a good idea to phone the hotel to check this out for future guests of Edinburgh Lodges.
The accomodation is basic but clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We had traveled up from Kent for a wedding so staying Thursday to Monday I have a young child 3 I had asked for a family room only to find that it was on the first floor of the lodges single mother with a 3 year old pushchair and suitcase up stairs not handy at all! When I went into the room I noticed the windows were very low and my daughter took an interest in them as they open fully! I went to ask for a room change as its very dangerous and could not risk it and not were available it was only that my uncle would swap with me. The rooms were small but clean a family room is more of a double and my parents had a double but should only of been a single, bed pushed against the wall with a sliver of a walk way to their bathroom which was a wet room! There was no fridge in a family room for babies milk/food and would of have to walk to the main house. you could hear everything everyone was doing not very sound proof at all. There was a couple of weddings on in the main house and it felt like we were not important no dinner available or breakfast in the morning they should be one or the other a wedding venue or hotel. The room was clean and tidy and most of the staff were helpful. Overall beautiful grounds but not child friendly at all! I would been much happier staying at the travel lodge down the road.

• Stayed April 2013
Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Tucked at the back of the rather grander location, the Lodges offer clean and warm basic accomodation. It reminded me a lot of going to conferences and staying in rooms, but that's not to say it wasn't lovely. We had a television and coffee making facilities and - most importantly in a snowy Scotland - it was really warm and comfortable! I'd recommend this really good value gem as an overnight bolt-hole to rest up and relax before continuing on a journey.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We received a warm and hearty welcome from one of the friendliest receptionists I have come across during many travels! Thank you. The adjacent Carberry Tower castle was just amazing and we felt very welcome when we enjoyed a drink there.

Although the room with its en-suite was small, it was cosy and comfortable. The scenic location is amazing! I will definitely stay there again: it was so charming and excellent value for the money we paid.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Edinburgh Lodges? Share your experiences!