“Quirky and relaxing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Inn Crawfordsburn

You added The Old Inn Crawfordsburn to your Saves list
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   15 Main Street, Crawfordsburn BT19 1JH, Northern Ireland   |
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Quirky and relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed dinner bed and breakfast in the Old Inn during Feb 2013. We arrived a little before check in time and the reception staff were really helpful and we got our room quickly. Overall it was a lovely experience. It is the type of place that you have to embrace just the way it is.

The rooms are a little worn and it does not have the usual control luxuries of a new hotel room such as a room heating control. However, the rooms are cosy, even in winter, and they decor is relaxing. I would definitely recommend staying for a relaxing break. Our room had two windows as we were in a corner at the rear of the hotel. The room overlooked a wooded area and the outdoor area of the bar. It felt very private and was very quiet although it was a Sunday night and there were no functions on at the hotel. The bathroom was fine. It had a good shower, and was clean although it did smell a bit musty.

The restaurant has strange decor but the staff were fantastics and the food was lovely at both dinner and breakfast.

All in all, I would definitely stay again and I would recommend it to others. Just be aware that you are not going to a new, perfectly maintained hotel but it can offer a lovely relaxed feel with open fires, friendly staff and a comfortable room.

Room Tip: there can be road noise at the front... ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear JEM011, thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your recent visit with us. As an individually family owned and managed hotel it is pleasing to see that our individual style in decor and service has not gone unnoticed. All of our bedrooms are individually styled and named (instead of numbered) to give guests that 'unique' experience. You are quite correct that our restaurant is styled differently to the rest of the hotel, but again we feel that this adds to the overall special feel of the hotel. We have an ongoing program of bedroom refurbishment (5 in the last 6 months of last year), and hopefully the next time you stay, you will be able to see the further improvements that we have made. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We booked a night in the superior suite to take advantage of a long weekend off work. We got a brilliant deal on the hotel's website, their ''room of the week'' and it included full brerakfast for tqwo the next morning.

We had stayed in a standard double before, and loved the charm of the hotel and the effort put in to each room to make it different to any other medium/large hotel we've ever stayed in. The superior suite was not disappointing! It looked and felt very luxurios, with a wonderful four-poster bed and a living area with a very comfortable sofa and 2 armchairs. We had a lovely balcony that looked over the back courtyard of the hotel.

We ate in the bistro of the hotel. It was confusing at first as we were told by one waitress they stopped serving at 7pm, but then were taken there by another waiter who told us they didn't stop serving until 9pm. This wasn't a big deal, as all we wanted was some good-tasting food and we didn't want the set menu in the restaurant. Great food is what we got! It was delicious and the portions were great sizes, it was also great value for money. The atmosphere of the bistro was lovely, warm and cosy. The only complaint I'd have is that when they took our food order my husband ordered a pint and I asked for a wine list. We waited, and waited, and tried to catch someone's attention. Finally our food came and we had to ask for our drinks again.
After dinner we went out to the courtyard where there is a lovely open fire under shelter, this was a great place to relax with some fresh-air before returning to the lovely room.

Only issue with the room was that the lack of ventilation in the bvathroom meant we were both very light-headed and finding it hard to breathe when we got out of our showers. Unless you want a cold shower, be prepared to be steamed-out!

We thought we'd treat ourselves to room service breakfast the next morning. It arrived on-time which was great, but it seemed they just didn't take notice of what we wanted from our breakfast cards! My husband lost out on much of his 'full' Ulster Fry, the specified black and white pudding were particularly missed!! I got none of the bread I asked for with mine, missing potato bread and toast. We were in a rush to eat and check-out so we didn't mention it to recption on check-out, but I wish I had.

This hotel is wonderful, food is delicious and the service was overall very good. The only negative things like the drinks, shower and breakfast are mentioned as I found it frustrating that such small details should stop the hotel from being just 'perfect'.

Room Tip: Check the website for great deals on rooms, and ask for a room at the back of the hotel for nice vie...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear StephLav, thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. The room that you were allocated is one of our newer rooms, which was re-styled during our recent renovation, we were pleased to see that you liked it. We are passionate about our food at the hotel and are genuinely uplifted when we see such positive feedback on the quality and portion size, as it can sometimes be difficult to accommodate everyone.We are aware that we are having some issues with room service at the moment and your feedback is very useful in helping us put this right. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.
Bangor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Last week my Daughter's and I had lovely afternoon Tea at The Old Inn, in celebration of my grandaughter's 7th birthday. We had a very nice selection of sweets and sandwiches, which was very well presented. Afternoon Tea was very reasonable and the service was second to none. Our American server was extremely friendly and attentative, which my daughter took full advantage of asking for top-ups for her tea several time just so she could hear our server's accent. He even sang happy birthday to my grandaughter which was very sweet. Too bad for my daughter he was wearing a wedding ring... Such a warm and comfortable afternoon... We will definetly be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear ElizabethM. Thank for taking the time too post such a lovely report on Tripadvisor. Your american server's name is Heath and is a big hit with all of our customers, hard working, humourous and personable. We did single him out in our Saturday dinner briefing and actually won a prize for your feedback, so thanks for that. Our afternoon teas are becoming increasingly popular and we look forward to welcoming you back in future. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.
Holywood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Took up recent offer one night stay over and 2 course meal .

Staff as always attentive and welcoming.
The evening menu we felt spoiled for choice especially the starter section the "Scotch egg"very highly recommended portion size excellent

atmosphere relaxing would highly recommend a stay or just coming for dinner

Room Tip: Just relax and enjoy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Kate C,
Thank you for your review - we are pleased you enjoyed our food and accommodation and look forward to seeing you again in the not-too-distant future.
Kind regards, The Old Inn Team.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Even if you were unlucky enough not to enjoy the exquisite food at the Old Inn Crawfordsburn, the sheer ambiance of the place is overwhelming. This is my fourth visit since March last year and I have never been disappointed, although I have only ever used the restaurant. From the moment you enter the Inn you can immediately enjoy the atmosphere. The friendliness of the staff cannot be better and on a cold day the fires are always burning. The menu is excellent and waiter service attentive. It was my sister in law's birthday and her choice of restaurant, which in my opinion could not have been better. One bottle of a beautiful New Zealand sauvignon blanc, a pint of beer, sea bass, belly of pork and duck confit. Cheese board for two and a lemon meringue cost GBP 68. I will never stop visiting this restaurant. My only disappointment, was that the lunch time menu did not offer the Tuna Carpaccio. I shall return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Adrian112,
Thank you for your review of your latest visit to the hotel to enjoy a meal. As a regular customer, your feedback is appreciated.
Kind regards, The Old Inn Team.
Comber, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My fiancee and I, having had nice experiences of this place previously before we had met, decided to go for a meal one evening after having been out for the day. After waiting what seemed like forever for a member of staff to acknowledge us, we went to the bar to see if there was any availability. We were told that they could squeeze us in and squeeze is exactly what they did. We brushed this off thinking at least we were given a table. We were not given menus as we sat down and were not able to get the attention of the staff, despite trying rather loudly. A waiter soon approached us to take our order and we said we hadnt been given menus; after a little roll of the eyes and 'strop' off the waiter returned, handed us the menus and marched off again.

Eventually, we thought the worst was behind us; all that was left to do was to enjoy our meal however, we could not have been more wrong. The food arrived very neatly presented but overall bland. I had finished but my fiancee had not and the same waiter from earlier came up behind me and lifted my plate and then proceeded to lift my fiancees even though she was cutting up her meal!! My fiancees past amusement at this point grabbed the plate back and said that she wasnt finished; the waiter kind of apologised whilst again rolling his eyes and walking off like it was our fault.

We had talked about refusing to pay for this 'experience' however, as it wasnt very expensive we thought we would just pay, leave and not return. Whilst paying however we received another little momento in the form of 2 of the members of staff (1 a manager) pushing through us as we were trying to pay at the card machine.
The member of staff who was assisting us at the time of payment was even shocked by this but gave us the impression that this happens regularly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael B, thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We were sorry to see that you did not appear to enjoy your last visit with us, but as your posting has only recently appeared and your visit was last August, unfortunately it makes it very difficult to assess or investigate your claims. Maybe if you contacted us sooner we may have been able to address some of the issues for you and to take the appropriate corrective action. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A Christmas Groupon gift needed to be used up before the end of March so our daughter booked my wife and I into the Old Inn hotel for the end of February along with my wife's sister and husband.

On arrival the black and white hotel looked wonderful against a blue sky and bright sunlight. [Weather cannot be arranged but you may like ourselves be lucky]. In contrast to the blue sky and bright sunlight the real time temperature was close to freezing.

The Old Inn is a quaint 400 plus year old hotel set in a wee village where some of the local shops reflect the same architecture and compliment the hotels overall scenic welcome.
In practical terms the car park is at the side of the hotel ensuring it is only a small walk to the hotel and has enough spaces to accommodate a large number of cars. A number of these spaces are allocate to disabled parking. There is space on the main road outside the front of the hotel which would allow about five cars to park ensuring a smaller walk to the hotel but it does narrow the road a wee bit.

On entry into the hotel we were initially hit with the warmth and slight smell of burning wood reminiscent of oldie world type open coal/turf fire, this was followed by the warm welcome of the female receptionist who inquired if we needed any assistance with luggage.
The booking in process was short and informative with our car details being taken to identify any car whose alarm may go off during the night, a time was chosen by ourselves when to have dinner and a morning newspaper was ordered for the following day..

Allocated the Oak room [It would appear all the rooms have names] we were directed a short distance to the left of the receptionist area to a short staircase where we were advised our room was at the top, on the right where the striped carpet began.. We went as directed and found the room with no problem the other room allocated was called the Rose room which was at the top of the stairs. There are also rooms on the ground floor.

On entering the Oak room we saw a long room with windows at the far end overlooking the street, to our left was a four poster bed with two white dressing gowns folded up on it and a pairs of new slippers on top of the dressing gowns. To our right was a small television fixed to the wall, view-able from the bed and to the right of the television was a modern en-suite in white with a bath and wall shower above it [Modern powerful shower as I found out later] above the sink was a mirror with built in lights and to the right of that was the modern toilet, above that area was a funnel to the roof of the building and a skylight to let in daylight.

Back in the bedroom, there was a unit on the right had side of the room with tea making facilities and small tray with cakes and cups and saucers, beyond that below the windows was a Chaise long settee, a coffee table, an easy chair and attached to the wall a larger television.

Internet connection is free and after a short period of time worked well enough to update our email and browse the internet.

On the ground floor beyond the stairs and to the left of the corridor is a bar lounge sporting a television and friendly staff who served with a smile, It is a long narrow bar and there is a selection of dual and multi-seated table areas with a wine menu and the option to have bar lunch served at the table.

It was apparent some of the customers were regulars who were friendly and appeared to enjoy the craic as they met up with old and new friends. [We enjoyed the experience of being there and it was quite entertaining]

The time came for dinner and we headed down to the restaurant which was at the end of the long corridor beyond the bar, there were a large number of seats and tables in differing configurations, we were shown to our table by a courteous restaurant manager and a very friendly waiter who then looked after us extremely well.

The menu selection was excellent with me choosing the mackerel starter followed by a sirloin steak cooked with all the trimmings, both choices were cooked to perfection and tasted very nice indeed. We resisted the temptation of the sweet menu and finished with coffee.
The other members of our party all commented on the high quality of the food and service.

After a nights sleep in the four poster bed which was firm but comfortable with soft pillows in a room that was lovely and warm I awoke refreshed and ready to face a full English breakfast,
My wife and I went down to the restaurant at about 9 am and were shown to the same table we had been seated at the night before by a waiter who was very pleasant and who explained we could avail of cereals and juice from the self serving area and then order our main course which would be served at the table.

We were joined by our friends and then the four of us enjoyed a wonderful breakfast experience with everything being as nice as the previous evenings meal. The portions were however a challenge and for those with a lesser appetite would advice asking the waiter to reduce the portions. Coffee finished off a wonderful breakfast.

On checking out we were again looked after by the young lady who had been on reception the night before and again received excellent service.
We all agreed we would repeat the experience.

Room Tip: The Oak and Rose rooms overlook the main road, but traffic noise was very low and at night little or...
Dear esenior,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your recent overnight stay at the hotel with friends. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you all back again soon.
Kind regards, The Team at The Old Inn.

Been to The Old Inn Crawfordsburn? Share your experiences!