“Really cosy!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Inn Crawfordsburn

You added The Old Inn Crawfordsburn to your Saves list
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   15 Main Street, Crawfordsburn BT19 1JH, Northern Ireland   |
Co Tyrone
“Really cosy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed for 1 night in January. Really cosy relaxing atmosphere. Lovely room which had recently been redecorated (still smell of fresh paint which was the only thing I could fault). Had meal in the Lewis Restaurant where we chose from the set dinner menu - good selection to choose from and delicious meal. Open fires, comfortable seating, friendly staff. Really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear carojames,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay and we hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards, The Team at the Old Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband & I decided to take a last minute trip to this hotel as a belated Anniversary treat. I couldn't say more positive things about our experience. Firstly, it's absolutely stunning - a real old Inn in every sense of the word. There was no stuffy formality, these guys are old school hoteliers. Nothing is too much for the staff, they seemed genuinely happy in their jobs and I have to say it was infectious. Living in Belfast, we had never stayed in a hotel so close to home but I am so glad we did. The superior suite is just that - superior. It was luxurious yet cosy with just the right lighting to perfect the ambience. Our room was called the Castleward, check out the photos, they're amazing. I'm a vegetarian and as such have become used to being an add on after thought in any menu but not here so things just got better and better. Five stars for the food and wine list. Tasty and well thought out. Feel like I'm waxing lyrical but when you've been disappointed so many times I swore I would go on to this site (first time!) and convey how great it was because they genuinely deserve it. Behind the hotel is a lovely waterfall walk apparently. Want to shout it from the roof tops and I'm organising to go back again for an upcoming birthday. Attention to detail and striking the perfect balance between friendly & professional made this Hotel stay simply the best. Top marks and well done to all involved. A huge thank you from my husband and myself, A & E Kielt, Belfast.

Room Tip: We took one of the package deals and stayed in a suite but I'd say the rooms to the back where t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Ann C,
We appreciate that you have posted your first ever review on TripAdvisor detailing your recent stay here at the Old Inn and are delighted that we ticked all the boxes. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Bangor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had a really bad experience in the hotel last July but didn't bother to write a review as thought it was a one off and we have always loved our getaways to the The Old Inn but have had 2 visits since and both have been extremely disappointing so thought I'd warn others!!

Last July we stayed and on arrival we found dirty socks on the floor in our room (yuck! - very poor hygiene standard for a 4 star!), we ordered room service which took 2 hours to arrive and was missing half the contents of the meal and also the ice bucket we requested! The meal cost almost £50 (steak and chips with mushrooms and vine tomatoes - these were both missing!). We were so hungry that we just went ahead and ate the meal. We later complained but management simply said the restaurant was busy that night and offered us a £20 voucher. The lights in our room kept flickering so we had to turn them off and sit with a really dim lamp. Overall we were very disappointed.

Anyway we went back just before Christmas for a meal....same poor service. I ordered the christmas dinner which was followed by coffee and mince pies. My coffee came and I asked for the mince pie. I finished my coffee and asked again for the mince pie. I was given a fresh coffee and told the mince pie would be here in a minute. I had finished my second coffee and STILL no mince pie. The waiter brought me a 3rd coffee, by the time the mince pie came the 3rd coffee was cold! I was offered another coffee but by this stage I had more than enough coffee. We asked for the bill and had been charged for 3 items we hadn't ordered or received. It took the manager ages to rectify this (meanwhile we had a taxi waiting - with the meter running).

Overall a big let down. The Crawfordsburn inn is a beautiful place, shame it isn't run very well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear kym_hobbsie, Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. Your comments have been taken in the manner in which we are sure they were intended. Our housekeeping and food and beverage teams have been alerted to your observations. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.
Coleraine, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night in September for a wedding we went to and it was amazing!!! lovely staff. We stayed in the Castleward room and I could of stayed there a week!!! so pretty with a balcony, and very clean. Breakfast the next morning was lovely. Couldn't fault it at all. Hope to come back and stay again soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Nikki S,
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in September to attend a wedding and would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. Hope to see you again soon.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

From the moment I checked in (Gareth, thank you!) to the moment I checked ou, I couldn't fault a thing. What a great hotel, and superb facilities. I had the Wedgewood room with four poster bed, as well as a glamorous pull-down bed for my friend. The room also had a sweet sitting area and a lovely and prisitne, well-stocked bathroom with painted slipper tub. All just what an ex-Pat would love! Room service was swift and friendly, the bars were buzzing and alive with people, cosy warm with the glow of the wood fires everywhere. The reception rooms that I saw were gorgeous, very classy. Food - now there's a thing! The Ulster Fry was something I'd not had in 40 years, but boy was this worth waiting for! A joy to behold and a joy to consume!!
The beds were comfy, plenty of pillows, cosy and warm. The bathroom was well stocked with toiletries and fluffy towels the size of a small country, everywhere was sparklingly clean. Beautiful antiques lined the corridors, there was no hint of noise from adjoining rooms even though the pace was full. The antique look and charm of the place does definitely not mean that modern luxuries and essentials are overlooked, it's all right there. The staff, without exception, were lovely. All sweet, helpful and charming. I'm lookng forward to returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear sjgiants of California,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us so much and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in our part of the world.
Kind regards, The Team at the Old Inn, Crawfordsburn
North Down, Northern Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed recently for a wedding... the venue itself is a gorgeous setting for a reception, or just for a quiet drink, but scratching under the surface was disappointing.The service was good throughout,but the 'Wee Room' bedroom smelt badly of paint.... it was almost overpowering and smelt like it had been just done very recently

Food was fine, but some of the drinks prices were verging on outrageous! A shot of Jaeger was £4.20! When couple with a tin of fake Red Bull type drink for £3, a drink for two was over £11... the same pair of drinks is available in other bars in the area for £3... hard on the pocket when your there from 1pm to close...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear SubCultureUK. Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to read your positive comments on our food and service during your recent stay with us. We are sorry that you found the smell of paint too strong in your room. The Wee room is indeed one of the rooms which has been recently redecorated as part of refurbishment plan for 2012/13. We hope that this will not deter you from visiting again in future. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Very impressed after staying here for a special occasion. Staff were very friendly on check in and very helpful. Dinner was excellently prepared, with a nice classic menu that it is hard to find in Belfast these days. Classic but not stuffy. If you want to sit in a bar after dinner for a drink you wont find one nicer than here with its traditional design and big open fires. If I was to be picky, I would say that the rooms are particularly warm, even with an open window in November! But don't let that put you off.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FlyawaypeterBelfast, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear joleen k,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kind regards, The Old Inn Team.

Been to The Old Inn Crawfordsburn? Share your experiences!